[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A movie could take you 3hrs to finish. A book could take 30 days
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 654949.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
654949.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
A movie could take you 3hrs to finish.
A book could take 30 days to finish.
Vetting the quality of a book is much more important than a movie.

How do you go about choosing/finding which book you should read next?
>>
i just pick up a book off bloom's list
>>
>Search "top 100 of all time" lists.
>Scan the synopsis of each. Ignore the ones with themes or plots I don't like.
>Queue them up.

or

>Search "top 100" lists of a favorite genre.
>Queue them up.

or

>Search the entire bibliography of a favorite author.
>Queue them up.

The real question is, where to find these "lists" that aren't complete shit.
>>
>>8161894
>A book could take 30 days to finish.
kys
>>
>>8161894
Lit, goodreads, books mentioned in other books/footnotes/endnotes/essays, classics everybody knows about.
If they seem interesting or important to me I'll read.
>>
is blooms canon shit? because bloom says so but is that just him being a little bitch about people complaining their favourite obscure author isnt there or is there a better definitive (as much as something like that can be) list of canon books of comparable length
>>
>>8162095
Bibliographies and reading guides are common. I have an introduction to literatures—plural intended—in eight volumes which is basically a commented list of recommended authors and works across the world.
>>
File: 1463713883149.jpg (112 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1463713883149.jpg
112 KB, 1200x800
>a book could take 30 days to finish
>>
>>8162070
>>8162124
There are books that take weeks of proper reading an studying to get most of them and to fully comprehend the more obscure treasures of them.
>>
>>8162135
That answers OP's question then. If a book takes you 30 days, it is well worth 30 days of intensive reading. Simple, easy to read books like pulp or YA you can easily read in under a week.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.