[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I understand free verse better? I've been studying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Ezra-Pound-young.jpg (431 KB, 940x1504) Image search: [Google]
Ezra-Pound-young.jpg
431 KB, 940x1504
How do I understand free verse better? I've been studying up on accentual-syllabic/accentual verse recently, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around free verse. Do you guys have any book recommendations for this? I want to be able to understand the technicalities and the choices behind free verse. It can't just be haphazard and pointless, can it?
>>
>>8160231
>It can't just be haphazard and pointless, can it?
It isn't: the lines in free verse are often determined by rhythm or rhyme, and, I've noticed, normally focus on a single image or idea. That said, there are plenty of hacks--Bukowski, Gonzalez, Kaur--who think free verse means you can do whatever the fuck you want, and that one-word lines are cool and deep and not complete rhythmic fuck-ups.
>>
it's not haphazard or pointless, and like >>8160250 said, the lines usually follow some kind of rhythm or rhyme. the best free verse poetry still "sings" or whatever the way other poetry does, it just doesn't follow a rigid set of rules.
Walt Whitman is a good example: his poetry still has a musicality or rhythm to it, and what makes him an important poet is that he achieves a distinct rhythm in his poetry that doesn't depend on preconceived poetic forms, which is why we love him in the US.
Emily Dickinson's poetry is also a good example because it seems more traditional (rhymes and such) but is actually really fucking weird.
>>
OP, just do what I do and declare that free verse isn't poetry. Eject Whitman from the poetry canon, he doesn't belong there. Create some new class of word-art so he can squat there like the mongrel he is. It's not poetry.
>>
>>8160231
pound and co used metre in their poetry, look for it and figure out why it's there
>>
>>8160231
Free verse isn't poetry without meter, it is poetry without rigid preconceived meter. There is a difference and it is very important.
>>
>>8160267
emily dickinsons poetry is metrical, you tard.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.