[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let there be the english poetry thread. We all should know that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: STL21COVER_338268k.jpg (29 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
STL21COVER_338268k.jpg
29 KB, 580x386
Let there be the english poetry thread. We all should know that the best english poet of the last 200 years is Edgar Poe. But who's the second best? I think Rudyard Kipling.
>>
>>7359573
>edgar poe

OH MY GOD
>>
File: bait.png (76 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
76 KB, 420x420
>>7359573
>We all should know that the best english poet of the last 200 years is Edgar Poe. But who's the second best? I think Rudyard Kipling.
>>
I appreciate what you are doing OP. The people on this board only appreciate poetry which they can post with a picture of an androgynous girl attached. I do not like Poe so much, but Kipling is great. Anybody who wants to be a writer can learn a lot from him, if you want to just get a gf through reading (most of /lit/) then don't bother.

I would put forward Hopkins as the best poet of the last 200 years. His voice is unique and the music of his poetry is perfectly matched to everything he describes.

>tfw first discovered The Leaden Echo and The Golden Echo.
>>
Pretty much agreed on Poe
Then you have Eliot and yeah what else you guys got going on?
>>
>>7359573
okay, you fucking riled me up

rudyard kipling is NOT so bad
>>
#1 t s eliot
#2 edgar allen ginsberg
#3 idk, keats? or was it spelled yeats? the one who wrote a poem about a vase
#4 Milton. Satan's a fucking badass.
#5 coleridge. rime of the ancient mariner and kubla khan are the only ones I know but they're so dark and mysterious, very poe-esque
>>
>>7359675
>>7359640
Produce a better strophe.

"And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!"
>>
>>7359648
You have still fallen for the bait if you feel the need to let everyone know that you know it is bait.
>>
>>7359648
>>7359675
OP here. I'm not baiting, just not very familiar with english poets and assumed Poe to be a universal authority. Though in Kipling being great I'm fairly confident. Too bad he's now mostly known for the "Jungle Book"
>>
>>7359942
If you honestly aren't trolling Poe isn't that good of a poet (his short stories are great though). Of the poets of the last 200 years he deserves a mention but is no where near the top.
>>
>>7359959
Note that this is based on poetic skill, not preference which could put him in your top. Rating poetry is pretty dumb actually.
>>
>>7359959
Thanks, his fame confused me then. Shall check Eliot, Hopkins and other ones mentioned.
>>
POUND BITCH
>>
Please say English Language poet next time, I was confused and thought that you thought Poe was from Britain.
>>
>no posts of Yeats
>no Robert Browning

you guys blow ass
>>
>>7359573

>not philip larkin
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.