[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to pick up a Quran, not sure what the best translation/version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Quran.gif (26 KB, 219x250) Image search: [Google]
Quran.gif
26 KB, 219x250
Looking to pick up a Quran, not sure what the best translation/version is. Any suggestions?
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>7356001
When in doubt, Cambridge.

The Cambridge Companion to the Qur'an
Book by Jane Dammen McAuliffe

http://bookzz.org/book/512112/0da0e1

After some brief research, this seems to be the best translation:

The Holy Qur'an Paperback – April 5, 2001
by Abdullah Yusuf Ali (Author)

The Holy Qur'an (also known as The Koran) is the sacred book of Islam. It is the word of God whose truth was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel over a period of 23 years. As it was revealed, so it was committed to memory by his companions, though written copies were also made by literate believers during the lifetime of the Prophet. The first full compilation was by Abu Bakar, the first Caliph, and it was then recompiled in the original dialect by the third Caliph Uthman, after the best reciters had fallen in battle. Muslims believe that the truths of The Holy Qur'an are fully and authentically revealed only in the original classical Arabic. However, as the influence of Islam grows and spreads to the modern world, it is recognised that translation is an important element in introducing and explaining Islam to a wider audience. This translation, by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, is considered to be the most faithful rendering available in English.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8d8696d984b2725437c397e7ade4189258ae52aa&dn=Holy%20Quran%20English%20Translation%20By%20Abdullah%20Yusuf%20Ali%20%5BPDF%2CEpub%2CMobi%5D%20-%3DTLU622%3D-%20%5BTeam%20Furious%5D
>>
>>7356001
Qara'i, Pickthall, Arberry
>>
>>7356068
>>7356001
Yusuf Ali is good
>>
>>7356001
Arberry (white academic), Asad (famous Jew convert) and Hammad (Egyptian Muslim) are the best.

Check out those three and decide which you want.
>>
>>7356001
Remember that the chapters are not in correct chronological order of revelation. I don't know that there is a Koran where things are in proper order.
>>
File: 1447641963662.jpg (56 KB, 382x358) Image search: [Google]
1447641963662.jpg
56 KB, 382x358
>paris attacks happen
>/lit/ flooded with qur'an threads
>>
>>7357849
>Attacks generate publicity
>Suddenly, everyone interested in Islam
>Muslims are ready to "clarify" the situation

I've heard that, after the Charlie Hebdo attack, there was an increase in conversion in France.
>>
>>7357846
The verses within the chapters aren't arranged in chronological order of revelation as well (save chunks of verses when relating a story). Ali b. Abi Talib had a Qur'an written in order of revelation which he passed down to his progeny but that was not divulged to the larger public for obvious reasons.

Many verses are known to be revealed at a specific event but some are known to be revealed within a certain period at a certain location so a specific time of revelation cannot be discerned.

As such there can't be a "chronological" Qur'an.
>>
>translation
that's heresy, bruh
>>
>>7357860
Also to clarify, a chapter can be considered "early" revealed in Makkah or "Makki" but a verse within it may have been revealed later in Madinah.
>>
>>7357849
>>7357854
I'd bet a good amount of people want to understand where 'the violence' comes from.

They'd need to do a good bit more reading to understand that violence has a presence in every major faith, though.
>>
>>7357869
>violence has a presence in every major faith, though.

When we say that I feel we're conflating :

1. Every religion has violent member
2. The doctrine condone violence

I could invent a non violent religion.
>>
>>7357869
dude, come on, we're all anonymous, let's be real: mohamed was a slave owning warlord with multiple wives who killed people with his own hand as well as commanded armies...now compare that to jesus, moses or any other abrahamic "prophet", one of those is not like the others....
>>
>>7357869
sorry but christianity and buddhism do not have anywhere near as much violence as islam and hinduism, and while judaism has some unsavory shit (i.e. passover) it's not even that bad, despite being bronze age shit...
>>
>>7356001
Translated Holy Quran is not the Holy Quran, kafir.
>>
>>7357869
>>7357880
>>7357885
>>7357890
Can't you all just go to >>>/his/? This doesn't belong here.
>>
>>7357885
Jesus is the odd man out really, the rest were cunts.
>>
>>7357869
>>>tumblr
>>
>>7357893
every time islam gets btfo babby has to cry /his/
>>
>>7356001
Wahhabi Muslims are the nicest, they give out free translated Qurans!
>>
>>7357899
Nice taqiya.
>>
>>7357860
>>7357868
If someone's interested:
http://www.al-islam.org/introduction-science-tafsir-quran-ayatullah-jafar-subhani/part-15-knowing-verses-quran-which-are-
>>
>>7357849
>not growing a beard and buying a quran to save your own skin and get your own harem
>>
Oxford University Press's (by Abdel-Haleem) with the Yusef Ali.
>>
File: houellebecq.jpg (97 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
houellebecq.jpg
97 KB, 620x372
>>7357914
>tfw facial hair genetics JUST tier
>tfw you'll have to flee to china to escape sharia
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.