[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into drama? Who/what should I read? Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: tragedy.jpg (38 KB, 489x381) Image search: [Google]
tragedy.jpg
38 KB, 489x381
How do I into drama? Who/what should I read? Recommendations for translations?
>>
you dont need translations for shakespeare
>>
>>8128947
no shit
>>
Read Shakespeare's works, most of them are really great, except for some of the comedies and King John.

For more modern drama August Wilson's Pittsburgh cycle is great, I'd recommend all ten of those plays.

Tennessee Williams is also a classic, Streetcar Named Desire, and Glass Menagerie are essentials. From that same era, Arthur Miller wrote Death of a Salesman and The Crucible which are must reads.

As for greeks, if you wanted to go back that far, are you really need are the Sophocles' plays, he's pretty much considered the best of his time period, I'm sure you had to read Oedipus Rex or Antigone or something in school at some point.

And those are some pretty good starting places I'd say. You should be able to find all those things fairly easily, none of them are obscure. Have fun reading. Theatre is great, and reading it can be fun, but it is better experienced live so go see any plays near you if you get a chance.
>>
Martin McDonagh and Brecht are my personal favorites. I have the unpopular opinion that Shakespeare was a better poet than playwright
>>
File: The_House_of_Blue_Leaves.jpg (23 KB, 184x296) Image search: [Google]
The_House_of_Blue_Leaves.jpg
23 KB, 184x296
Henrik Ibsen and Oscar Wilde is great for more modern stuff.
Sartre and Moliere is as satire as it gets.
Pic related is a personal favorite of mine. There is a full length recording of it on youtube that features Ben Stiller.
>>
File: Bertolt-Brecht-29hame1.jpg (21 KB, 432x612) Image search: [Google]
Bertolt-Brecht-29hame1.jpg
21 KB, 432x612
>>8128938
Get your hands on Brecht, both his work and criticism, never turn back
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.