[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. Maybe it's a tired question, but does Tom Bombadil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: LOT.jpg (24 KB, 260x390) Image search: [Google]
LOT.jpg
24 KB, 260x390
Hey /lit/.

Maybe it's a tired question, but does Tom Bombadil not give a fuck about the fate of middle earth?
Or am I misinterpreting his character wrong?
>>
>>8128123
Gandalf literally explains why he gives no fucks as soon as the hobbits ask him why Tom cant help. Not only is he basically a shadow of earlier magic made manifest, but he has no omnipotent powers outside his own wood, AND he cant really conceive of the outside world anymore since he is infinitely ancient.
>>
>>8128123
Tom is a physical manifestation of middle-earth. But since he's so old he doesn't have perspective on the happenings of the Third age. So yeah, in a way, he doesn't give a fuck.

I think also from a thematic perspective, if Tom is to represent childhood lore and fairytales (his character I believe is drawn from an old doll Tolkien had as a boy), then he cannot be allowed to interfere in the happenings of the ring. Part of the hobbits' maturation is to leave Tom's realm behind and journey into the unknown, taking with them the warm memories of their stay. This both allows them a chance to prove their character and raises the stakes of the quest. But this is all just my opinion.

On another note, I am currently reading Fellowship for the second time (first time was as a kid, so a lot went over my head). Have just left the Khazad-dum. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
>>
>>8128735
Correction, the doll did not belong to Tolkien but to his son.

Also found this. Tom is obviously the Witch-King of Angmar.
http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm
>>
>>8128123
He could be Eru him/itself, but God is not to play a part in the fate of the Earth, fampai.
>>
>>8128123
Tolkien specifically stated that Tom was supposed to be an open ended character, and was purposely written to be mysterious. As such, one can interperate the character in any way they wish.
>>
>>8128123
Bombadil is literally Tolkien projectin his hard on for anarchy. The ring is the desire/power to control other people. Since Tom is "his own master" he does not need nor is affected by the ring (also, he is a maia)
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.