[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"It seems to me as good as certain that we cannot get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Wewew.jpg (27 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Wewew.jpg
27 KB, 480x480
>"It seems to me as good as certain that we cannot get the upper hand against England. The English — the best race in the world — cannot lose! We, however, can lose and shall lose, if not this year then next year. The thought that our race is going to be beaten depresses me terribly, because I am completely German." - Wittgenstein

>"But if you wish to see with your own eyes, and close at hand, what early inoculation of belief does, look at the English. Look at this nation, favoured by nature before all others, endowed before all others with reason, intelligence, power of judgment, and firmness of character; look at these people degraded, nay, made despicable among all others by their stupid ecclesiastical superstition, which among their other capacities appears like a fixed idea, a monomania." - Schopenhauer

Why have literary Germans had such a love affair with the English? At best, as with Wittgenstein, it was envy; at worst, as with Schopenhauer, it was admiration marred with a sense of pity on account of something that marred their apparent greatness. Nietzsche viewed them much the same as Schopenhauer, but the fact remains.

What made the English so special, so appealing to the Krauts?
>>
>>8126627
>What made the English so special, so appealing to the Krauts?

shared love of beer and violence
they're both the chavs of Europe
>>
>>8126691

t. Poland
>>
>>8126627
If you're American think of Manifest Destiny and consider that every country with an empire had a similar thought process "Oh look we're playing at being Romans and we're really good at it! Thanks God!".

It could also be an idea to look into Geopolitik and how Germany was trying to beat (in a way) the US, Russian and British super powers through a unified Europe. The EU is a similar project.

And that Kaiser Wilhelm was educated in Britain and took a lot of the cultural capital back with him. That's all the sort of context you need for comments like that.
>>
>>8126700

t. angsty English prole knows that the Pole is 100% spot on
>>
>>8127243

>It could also be an idea to look into Geopolitik and how Germany was trying to beat (in a way) the US, Russian and British super powers through a unified Europe. The EU is a similar project.

This. Germany was always lagging behind the other empires; namely because it was too busy trying to unite the countless shitty 'kingdoms' into one state via Prussia.

Prussia, after all, was pretty much the perfect state; Hegel's whole ideology was one long, convoluted argument for the eternal glory of Prussia. Shame it failed.

>Tfw you will never be in a perfectly bureaucratic army with a state, as opposed to all modern states which are merely states with an army
>>
File: reaction face.png (89 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
reaction face.png
89 KB, 395x401
>>8126700

brutal
>>
>>8127261

Get off my lebensraum/lawn.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.