[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to become some kind of übermensch. For me that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1457010712761.jpg (3 MB, 3791x3345) Image search: [Google]
1457010712761.jpg
3 MB, 3791x3345
I really want to become some kind of übermensch. For me that means finding maximum joy in just existing and maximising my chances of continual survival, thusly maximising my total happiness. I also believe this to be the most worthwhile thing to do, it is literally winning at life.

But both those endeavours are hindered by my imperfection and passions. I do not feel perfectly happy at all times and do not strive to fight death at each waking second. Now since this idea should not be new, someone more insightful must have written about it. Can /lit/ recommend some writings?

Also, and this might devalue my whole post in the eyes of the more pretentious of you, I enjoy reading about character who feel the same. One character I enjoy is Anasurimbor Kellhus from the prince of nothing series. Yes, this is technically a waste of time, but my powerlevel is not high enough to not read for pure enjoyment; at this point my sanity is still too fragile to just be productive all the time.

tldr Books with characters or insights relating to overcoming your dependency on external factors for happiness and achieving perfect "discipline" (not the right word because it has associations to forcing yourself, but I hope you get the point)
>>
I haven't read Nietzsche, but isn't it impossible to actually become the Übermensch? I thought it was just something to strive for.
>>
>>8118679
>I really want to become some kind of übermensch.

Well I've got bad news. It doesn't exist, you're infected with the same flaws as any other human being. In fact the less you feel like you have flaws and the more confident nothing is wrong, the more likely you have flaws and the more likely something is very wrong.

Real life sucks like that. If you could, you'd have to be as clever as Nietzsche described them, and that requires being contradictingly selfish and selfless.
>>
>>8118679
the overman does not feel perfectly happy at all times and he does not fight death, he embraces it, along with the rest of his entire existence
>>
I use the term Übermensch loosely, since Nietsche did not invent the concept. I am German so this is the best word I know to describe it, sorry that I did not make this klear (pip).

Also this is an ideal. Not striving for ideals because they might be unattainable is falling for the nirvana fallacy - in most things there is benefit in partial success, also in becoming "self-moving", as in generating your own happiness and doing always "the right thing", which I understand to increase chances of your own survival and your ability to generate happiness in order to maximise your total enjoyment of existence. The self-generating part is not really essential but might be pretty useful, since diverting ressources like time and money to just feel good is not optimal.

>I-I am not a robot (yet)
>>
>>8118679
To become an ubermensch you must abstain fron all simple things you covet. You must be aloof. You must live virtuously for the principle of living, not for any one particular reason. To do this is simple, but difficult. Read Siddhartha, but unlike Siddhartha, don't fuck and become an alcoholic for ten years. And wham, you're good.
>>
>>8118771

To become Übermensch, we must become Schopenhauerian Will; blindly striving.

>>8118780

>He thinks selfishness and selflessness are mutually exclusive

>>8118809

The peaceful one is at war, without and within. Superior men find themselves in continual inner and outer peril.
>>
>>8120022
Read Siddhartha, he does only become an alcohol in a metaphorical sense; if I remember correctly, his only drugs are money and bitch[es].

But yes, more like this! Philosophical stuff also. I feel like at this time I have the need to do something not central to my life plan before bed to protect my sanity - might as well peripherically useful.

>>8120046
I have nothing against war, what I dislike is what I read somewhere nietsche calls "will to die" (apologies if I am writing bullshit) and I call imperfection: everything that keeps one from maximising his or her (integral, in a mathematical sense) wellbeing, which includes longevity and relative independence from external factors
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.