[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, intellectually I'm all spooked out. I can't stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 4L_XRkaNN2y.jpg (36 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
4L_XRkaNN2y.jpg
36 KB, 400x386
Guys, intellectually I'm all spooked out. I can't stand philosophy because of all the unfalsifiable garbage. Many fields like economics etc are just applied common sense and stamp collecting. I see novels as nothing but entertainment despite pretentious people claiming life / philosophical insights and tonnes of people will consider you a disgusting plebeian if you don't initially read shitloads of boring as fuck canon novels.

I think I am painfully adapting to the idea of the Internet age / information overload by abandoning any pretension that I can be an all rounder or even dilettante in everything. There are ten trillion books called "Introduction to [broad and important field]", even if you only have one of each field.

History is similar to novels. Shitloads of reading along with a shitload pretension thrown on top telling you that you truly cannot no nuthin unless you have an in depth understanding of the Greeks / Romans / Christianity / USA / WW1 / WW2 / financial systems / or shitloads of other topics I can't stand it. And then there's current events. I don't care about climate change, outer space, inequality, China, the EU (as long as it doesn't stir up too much shit), applied psychology, the education system, diversity (as long as people aren't treated badly), Russia, South America, refugees, nutrition, mental health, and more. Admitting just one of these would make me an iredeemable idiot, no doubt.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts? The spooks are powerful and must be removed but their removal leaves your mind in a promordial state that is more susceptible to spooks than before.

And obviously I have an existential crisis but /lit/ is fucking pathetic in demanding that anyone who has one should immediately "grow up" and become a monotheist and wagecuck.
>>
High school is hard, I agree
>>
>>8109130
>philosophy because of all the unfalsifiable garbage

Well there's analytical shit if you want to go that route

>economics etc are just applied common sense

You would be surprised at what you can learn about society if you understand certain economic theories. They do, after all, pretty much underpin how most people think and act. Granted you can just skip that shit and go to sociology.

>I see novels as nothing but entertainment

So....whats the problem? Just read what you want, 4chan isn't your life you know (or is it....maybe get off the computer sometime....)

>cannot no nuthin unless you have an in depth understanding

I think that depends on what you are ready. There are fairly light introductions to a particular field of history if you want to learn it. I mean, why not start with King Leopold's Ghost? That's a pretty good read and got me interested in further study of the African colonization.

>Admitting just one of these would make me an iredeemable idiot, no doubt.

Lots of people don't read the news

>The spooks are powerful and must be removed but their removal leaves your mind in a promordial state that is more susceptible to spooks than before.

Well there's paranoia about spooks and then there is critical thinking. Which one are you exercising?

>"grow up" and become a monotheist and wagecuck

Then just don't do either of those things and read Camus
>>
>>8109184
>Well there's analytical shit if you want to go that route
I´m not well-read enough to choose to support either of the camps, but what makes continental philosophy worthwhile?
>>
>>8109130
Wait at least week before posting pasta
>>
>>8109130
>I can't stand philosophy because of all the unfalsifiable garbage

Ever heard about contemporary(postpositivist) analytical philosophy?
>>
>>8109303
>not reading continental
>dealing solely with empty husks

laughingNietzsche.gif
>>
>>8109326
Could you explain, instead of greentexting, as I am actually unsure due to not knowing?
>>
>>8109334
Read "On Truth and Lies in the Extra-Moral Sense"
>>
File: hegel prank.jpg (68 KB, 606x599) Image search: [Google]
hegel prank.jpg
68 KB, 606x599
>>8109303
I don't know much about either. The continental shit is based on a very long tradition of historical and social anaylsis, and tries to make sense of Kant's observations about the similatiires between rationalism and empiricism. Its easy to say that we can throw all that shit out the window and only focus on logic or linguistics or mathematics etc. but we all know that thats a tenuous base in which to build and analyse knowledge.
>>
>>8109130
Do you happen to study a STEM subject?
>>
When I was eight I love fictional books. Harry Potter? Count me in! Lord of the Rings? Sign me up! But then I sort of grew up, yeah, it's this thing that happens to most people between the ages of around 14 to maybe 23. Some people never do grow up, but then again these people really aren't worth talking about in any sense. But yeah, I grew up. And what happened when I did? I stopped reading fiction, for starters. Oh I know I'll be accused of having no imagination, of lacking empathy, of being out-of-touch with the "wonder" of fantasy worlds and imagined realities, but the time came when I had to pay the bills. What I quickly learned that wasted time is wasted money. And boy did I learn that fast! In college I wasn't sure on a major, and even considered literature for a short time! But then it was clear what I needed to do in order to live a mature, well-rounded and successful life. So I picked a STEM major and gradually began to broaden my skillet while working internships each summer. And then I graduated and found myself a job, entry level sure, but a job nonetheless with responsibilities and a ladder that extended to a high-paying role. And I worked my ass off. Believe me. And then you know what happened? I started seeing how much free time I had. I reached home at 7pm and there were these three or four hours of dead space there before I needed to sleep. So you know what I did? Well it certainly wasn't reading fiction! No, actually I attended seminars to gain certificated within my industry. I even took on a second job on weekends consulting small businesses for a small fee. I worked and worked and soon I had no monetarily useless time left. And I hd never been happier! The joys of working all the time is completely lost on the kinds of "men" who browse /lit/. It's actually kinda sad. Seriously you guys, I encourage you all right now to drop whichever humanities course you're pursuing and come over to the STEM side. We'll call it an amnesty. You put away childish things, we'll embrace you with open arms. Do it! If not for your sake, for the sake of the economy!
>>
>>8109338
>>8109341
Thanks both of you, I´ve always wondered why there was an apparent `need´ for a dichotomy between these two fields
>>
>>8109389
Lit/ has a whole series on the shit (although the continental/analytical split is still under construction)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fBYpm4MHyKM-80sTzQaBiYLI0vJKkE80h2b10JR5cwg

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YrXfvjz4NCyLlob9bo_N9fpoYB-saCTbLoGP5TctJTs
>>
>>8109359
> And then you know what happened? I started seeing how much free time I had. I reached home at 7pm and there were these three or four hours of dead space there before I needed to sleep.

No one, and I mean no one, with a graduate job has that much free time.
>>
>>8109421
Good! "Free time" is such an immature concept. Someone's paying for it kid!
>>
>>8109130
I'd recommend getting into mathematics if you're looking for truth, but once you get deep enough you'll hear of this thing called mathematical pluralism and get spooked again.
>>
>>8109130
>I can't stand philosophy because of all the unfalsifiable garbage.
>unfalsifiable

"The concern with falsifiability gained attention by way of philosopher of science Karl Popper's scientific epistemology "falsificationism". Popper stresses the problem of demarcation—distinguishing the scientific from the unscientific—and makes falsifiability the demarcation criterion, such that what is unfalsifiable is classified as unscientific, and the practice of declaring an unfalsifiable theory to be scientifically true is pseudoscience."

>philosopher of science Karl Popper
>philosophy
>>
>>8109303
"Analytic" philosophy is just philosophy as it is actually practiced at the academic level.

Here's a guide: >>8071100
>>
>>8109535
Shit, the thread's gone. Here's the guide: http://imgur.com/a/Uj5Ib
List of all books (with ISBNs on the left): http://pastebin.com/bf5fZE9b
>>
Simply read and do what gives you enjoyment or what you predict will give you enjoyment. Don't read books because other people (/lit/) tell you to. Read them because you want to read them
>>
File: 1451496393065.png (1 MB, 1500x7180) Image search: [Google]
1451496393065.png
1 MB, 1500x7180
>>8109130
>unfalsifiable
pooper and you are hacks
>>
>>8109416
>>8109542
Thanks my friends
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.