[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you research?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 420x112) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 420x112
I got into trying to do philosophy on my own because I realized I always tend to see both sides of a perspective which results in an inability of deciding on anything. I'm trying to develop a world perspective but I never went to university so I don't know how to approach research from a scholarly perspective.

Any recommendations on books about how to do research? Where do you go for reliable statistics? What are reliable statistics? How do you research other than a simple google search?
>>
What are you wanting to research?

I took psych in university. I was basically taught that if something is not a peer approved article published in a scholarly journal, it's worthless.

But then I also took a ton of history courses, and used various academic sources, but often times also used books that I got from my local library.

It all depends on the subject I guess. The worst thing about leaving university was losing access to the schools resources and academic journals.

Use scihub.org to get academic sources that a locked behind university paw walls.
>>
>>8107253
and that link is wrong, use sci-hub.cc/
>>
>>8107024
>I don't know how to approach research from a scholarly perspective.
If you are interested in studying philosophy and doing so from a scholarly perspective, 1) go to university, but 2) read secondary resources. These are academic texts and journal articles that you can, by hook or crook, find on the internet for free. There is the stigma in (non-academic) philosophy of avoiding anything but primary texts, but to properly understand any but the simplest primary works you must build up a basis of philosophical knowledge/history and read commentary and interpretation from scholars.
>>
>>8107253
>What are you wanting to research?

Anything based in politics or social issues. Like for example anything that supports either right wing or left wing idealogy.
>>
>>8107436
you'll have to get more specific than that when you're actually researching.

start with google scholar and see if you can find anything about the topic you want. if you can't get the article off scholar or through regular google, use the mentioned website.
>>
>>8107296
What is the best source for commentary by either hook or crook? Or do you simply type the title of your book and commentary into google or do you have a specific source that guides you?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.