[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Cyberpunk such a limited genre within literature, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: cyberpunksnotdead.jpg (411 KB, 1280x1256) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunksnotdead.jpg
411 KB, 1280x1256
Why is Cyberpunk such a limited genre within literature, but so thoroughly embraced by other media? It seems like true-to-form cyberpunk literature is something that happened within the blink of an eye in the 1980s and then immediately became more of a toolshed where writers of other genres could borrow some easy plot hooks and themes.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like every "top X cyberpunk novels" list is 50% classics that all happened within said blink, and 50% works that only borrow from cyberpunk, without actually belonging to the genre.
>>
Its just an aesthetic, so visual mediums can use it to more effect.

Theres really nothing in the Cyberpunk genre that standard sci-fi hasnt already done without the label
>>
>>8105422
This is the third anti-Cyberpunk thread I've seen in /lit/ the past couple of weeks.

Is there any reason why you keep posting this same ideal over and over again? You seem spooked.
>>
>>8106622
He's not against cyberpunk, he's asking why it peaked once and then kind of disappeared in literature - which is kind of true, if you compare it to music/film/videogames.

>>8105422
Well I don't really agree with you - cyberpunk is not dead, but when you define it as "like Neuromancer kinda" well, that's when you get the classics-only list. A few contemporary examples of the genre could be Dreams of Amputation, Blindsight and William Pauley III's stuff.
>>
File: YMmA3J1.jpg (52 KB, 550x406) Image search: [Google]
YMmA3J1.jpg
52 KB, 550x406
>>8105422
Cyberpunk is a genre that was fostered with the phantasms birthed from the rise of computers and analogous technologies, and that is why it was stillborn as soon as this craze, this impulsion faded, much like all other x-punks, in fact. No matter how good the works on cyberpunk are, they were all embedded into this temporary fad, and that is why nowadays, despite the concept being very interesting in itself (at least imho), the genre has become much less popular.

The only "true" cyberpunk literature I've read was Neuromancer, and while I enjoyed it, I certainly couldn't say it is an absolute masterpiece; in fact it has flaws.
>>
>>8106660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g
>>
File: snow-crash.jpg (205 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
snow-crash.jpg
205 KB, 450x600
get amongst it
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.