[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a utopia desirable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: LFFO425WVbs.jpg (50 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
LFFO425WVbs.jpg
50 KB, 604x604
I read BNW 4 years ago but I've been thinking about it more and more. I think most people would want their dream job if they could have it, but what if you were programmed to like a certain job and then were given that job?
It really wouldn't make a difference would it? Then you were artificially made too stupid to ever question any of it.

It's pretty much the idea that ignorance is bliss, and to that a lot of people can easily say no, but is that the end of all government? People are just like cogs in a machine and the purpose of the machine is to make people happy.
So if we really don't want ignorance then should we actively seek a less that perfect government? In a perfect system wouldn't everyone have everything they ever wanted and would be forced to face the bleak and meaninglessness of life? Of course then you're just made too stupid to see that.

So what should we strive for in a government system? A system that is not terrible but has major problems so we can spend time constantly trying to fix it?
>>
>>8105110
Utopia is an unattainable ideal, the human (and animal for that matter) psyche is too intrigued by novelty to let sleeping dogs lie for long. Grass is always greener and whatnot. It's basically the secular vision of heaven and why ideology like communism is not a better answer to the nihilism problem than Christianity was. I recall teaching political science students about particular ideologies in a seminar and a frequent question was what is this ideology's 'end game', ie what does utopia look like to believers in this political religion.

We should strive for nothing more than duration and stability in government. What lasts longest and what preserves the culture around it. And the species has not endured purely due to feely-wheelies, slavishly chasing the zeitgeist and rainbow butterfly gumdrops. A good state's roots go as deep into the earth as its branches extend into the sky.
>>
>>8105110 (OP)
>So if we really don't want ignorance then should we actively seek a less that perfect government?
Whoever told you that the purpose of the government is to make you *happy*? Surely every government whose people are obedient is perfect then, happiness being subjective?

>In a perfect system wouldn't everyone have everything they ever wanted and would be forced to face the bleak and meaninglessness of life?
They would have everything they ever NEEDED and would be forced to face the bleak and meaninglessness of life, which is basically the opposite of BNW.
>>
>>8105110
A system which allows people to find their own ways in life. We cannot know which way is best, so let each individual experiment without inference, aside from involuntary things done to other people. A minimum standard of living (but not very much) to be guaranteed and paid for partly through a land value tax. An emphasis on stability and gradual reform/change. Government to assist the capitalist system, not through subsidies to corporations ( dreadful idea) but through expanded education, universal healthcare, lax labour regulations but free training for those without jobs. Essentially soothing the friction burns from creative destruction within the economy. Policies to help people to help themselves, not encourage dependency. Few regulations, but regulations to fix market failures (externalities etc) and some as people are not entirely rational and do not see problems when they are far away ( I.e tax on sugar to pay for the health problems associated with obesity since people don't take this into account when they eat ). Set up the playing field, make a few rules but let the players play.
>>
>>8105399
Aside from preventing involuntary things*
>>
>>8105110
a place to stay
enough to eat
somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
where you can speak out loud
about your doubts and fears
and what's more no-one ever disappears
you never hear their standard issue kicking in your door
you can relax on both sides of the tracks
and maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
and everyone has recourse to the law
and no-one kills the children anymore

ideology is poison
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.