[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it? What's supposed to be so difficult
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 220x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 220x315
I don't get it? What's supposed to be so difficult about this book? Everyone says it's impossible to follow, but it clearly slaps you in the face with clues to what's going on. I thought it was a great piece of literature, but I fail to see how it's THAT challenging.
Am I missing something?
>>
>>8104353
No, it's pretty easy. Especially since it's pretty short. It's just like the Infinite Jest or Moby Dick is difficult meme. People just say that because that was the only book they've read besides YA trash, they're retarded, or they want people to give them credit for reading "le difficult book!" To be completel honest, there aren't many books that are difficult to read. Literature overall doesn't compare in difficulty to hard science like physics. It simply doesn't require the same amount of thought, I'm sorry to say. I mean people will say "No! it's just a DIFFERENT type of thinking!" and yes it is, but this different type of thinking is a lot less involved and ends up requiring a lot less intellectual intensity. And I'm not saying that lit is inferior to science or anything. Literature is about humanity, and is able to capture emotions and to depict humanity in a beautiful, profound, and important way. Literature is more sublime than science, but please don't tell me it's just as intellectually stimulating.
>>
>>8104353
No clue, but I'll cop it tomorrow based on your recs. Do I read sound of fury or as i lay dying first?
>>
>>8104376
Either is good to start actually. Just read SatF, it's better.
>>
>>8104384
Should I read 100 Years of Solitude, Lolita, Brave New World, Joyce's Portrait, or Madame Bovary? Or stick with SatF?
>>
>>8104386
Just buy them all and read them as you get to them I guess.
>>
>>8104390
I already own them all, I cut a deal with the old library lady to get the classics that no one reads. What's the absolute best out of those? I'll read them all anyways, but I'm curious. Also who is Faulkner similar to? Like a super colloquial version of Hemingway or something?

Another note: Pride and Prejudice and The Blood Meridian -- purchase in high quality old editions or acquire fre-e-book? Is McCarthy a legend already?
>>
>>8104397
Out of all that SatF is my favorite.
Faulkner is fairly unique I'd say, but there's definitely a clear Joyce influence. Some passages especially in the Benjy chapter remind me of Mark Twain.
Portrait of an artist and BNW are both pretty alright, but I didn't get the love for Lolita desu.
>>
>>8104376
TSatF is better.

>>8104386
Stick to TSatF.
>>
File: 1437806436244.jpg (66 KB, 540x408) Image search: [Google]
1437806436244.jpg
66 KB, 540x408
>>8104353
Probably not.

The structure is mixed up because of the first part. It is unorthodox for someone to so easily go from one memory to the next, and then to do that consistently.

That's it. After that you fill in the blanks (if you haven't already) and you understand the history of the family.

It is a very underwhelming book. I don't like the style, the "challenge", or the purpose if there is any, even with Quentin's little naughty-guilt. I don't like Faulkner.
>>
>>8104374
this
>>
>>8104376
I was assigned ASILD senior year of high school by one of my favorite teachers. I got 3 chapters into it and read sparknotes for the rest. We were never officially tested on it, but on the last day of class he went around and asked everyone if they had read it on the honor system. I lied and said I did and still get nervous thinking about it.

I keep meaning to read it but I just can't remember enjoying it
>>
Is Quentin the 20th century southern equivalent of /r9k/?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.