[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend a book or a guide that will help me get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: 1464514599683.jpg (47 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
1464514599683.jpg
47 KB, 283x323
Can anyone recommend a book or a guide that will help me get more out of what I read? I read How to Read Literature Like A Professor some years ago, but I'm hoping there are better guides out there.
>>
File: 1421526442501.jpg (2 MB, 1276x2004) Image search: [Google]
1421526442501.jpg
2 MB, 1276x2004
>>8100551
What are you trying to get out of your reading? You can read for pleasure, or you can read for learning - maybe even both. But I've found that trying to find meaning in every little detail ruins my enjoyment of a story. Just because an author describes a room as being blue doesn't mean he's referring to the sadness of his childhood growing up in a ghetto. Maybe the room is just fucking blue.

If you want to analyze fiction and "get more out of it", then take some lit courses at your local university or CC. Some will let you audit them, meaning you don't have to pay, but you also don't get any credit. But it'll expose you to analytical theory and cute coeds with daddy issues.
>>
File: 1463675673704.gif (1 MB, 245x135) Image search: [Google]
1463675673704.gif
1 MB, 245x135
>>8100573
I plan on literature being my minor anyways when I go back to school (hopefully in the fall), so I thought if I found a book that will help me be a bit more analytical in my reading it will give me a head start.
>>
How and why to read, by Bloom? Why to read the classics, by Calvino? Just put those two into amazon search then look at the things it suggests
>>
>>8100593
In that case, read Stephen King's "On Writing". While it doesn't necessarily teach literary theory, having an understanding of the writing process will help you to better understand what an author is trying to convey. Good luck with your studies, anon.
>>
>>8100573
If the color of the room was irrelevant, why would the author put it in the book?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.