[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>read tens of thousands of books in his lifetime >has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Theodore Roosevelt Reading.jpg (76 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Theodore Roosevelt Reading.jpg
76 KB, 620x388
>read tens of thousands of books in his lifetime
>has a huge amount of published works

So guys, do you think it's possible to read with the tenacity of Roosevelt?

Is it possible to get a book churned out before breakfast?

Surely training a skill like this would turn you into an Ubermensch?

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/10/18/how-to-speed-read-like-theodore-roosevelt/
>>
>>8099033
Thanks, trying out the z reading style
>>
File: 1463820960199.jpg (127 KB, 702x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463820960199.jpg
127 KB, 702x1080
>>8099033
>So guys, do you think it's possible to read with the tenacity of Roosevelt?

It's probably genetics.

Teddy obviously had good working memory and processing speed. He could absorb information extremely rapidly and most importantly store a high volume of it, able to recall it at a later date.

I am the opposite. I have goldfish brain. I struggle to process what I'm reading and barely remember any of it. It's made the whole exercise of reading...almost pointless for me. All those great novels and essays I've read are...just gone. Not there.

Perhpas it can be improved? I think it's a genetic defect though. Either way, good luck with your quest buddy.
>>
>>8099238
I have this same problem. But not just with books. I can watch a movie and only remember the basic plot and maybe a few scenes by the next day. In the long term, I can forget up to 90% of most material. I guess it's just a poor memory.
>>
>>8100855
>>8099238

Meditate.
>>
>>8100862
How will this help? I've messed around with meditation before, but I found it hard to practice and keep up with when left to my own devices (learned it in a class)
>>
>>8100878
Increases focus, memory and physically changes the way your brain retains and stores information, alongside the speed at which you can access it.

Search for the .PDF Mindfulness in Plain English.
>>
>>8099033
There are ppl that are mentally doing several things at once. Whereas i may be doing my work in front of me, my boss will be doing his, as well as having several other personal and business consideration going on in his head. He described it as each thing being set aside in his mind, and he'll bring one forward, think a piece of it, set it back, and bring another forward. The human mind has quite a dirversity.
>>
>>8099238
Google memory, we all have it because we shitpost on a thai postmodern rice-art forum instead of practicing memory methods
>>
>>8100897
Okay, thanks. I think I might have already read this before, but I can't really remember it anyway so I'll check it out.
>>
>>8099033

Roosevelt is a good role model to have. He is definitely one of mine.

However you have to look at his life analytically. As a child he had asthma and wasn't as athletic as other kids and his parents wished. This of course causing him to stay in doors. Also despite being asthmatic he did have an incredible amount of energy and drive, but this of course was influence from his wealthy family.

I think the most important thing to retain is his family was wealthy and influential and he may have had certain privileges in childhood which you didn't have. Also that lifestyle may not be completely obtainable in our modern world. He had the connections.

Another important thing to note about Roosevelt is that he basically designed his persona. Which is something we all can do. So although you may not have his skill set or his privileges, you can still present yourself as that person.

Also, "art of manliness" stop reading meme internet articles. I doubt T. Roosevelt would have read that. Or maybe he was insecure enough that he would have. But I doubt he would have.
>>
The more I read about speed-reading the more I am convinced it is just skipping.
>>
>>8100939
The art of manliness is chill motherfucker. I'm not gonna stop reading a website I gain value from because some anonymous bitch told me to
>>
>>8100862
Good advice. I started to meditate after reading, and it really improved my understanding, memory and endurance
>>
>>8100952
It kind of is. If you want to fully absorb a book and its contents then "speed-reading" it will not be good enough. You can learn to read faster, but that whole nonsense of various "strategies" and "techniques" to read faster is just learning to skim.
>>
>>8099033
>Surely training a skill like this would turn you into an Ubermensch?
It would help. If you have a working intellectual framework you'll immediately have a leg up against others and the more you feed it the more you'll seem competent and smart.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.