[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>150 wpm reading speed >lower comprehension than speed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
>150 wpm reading speed
>lower comprehension than speed readers
>can't even get myself to read a whole chapter in one sitting
>keep finding books that sound interesting but i'll realistically never actually read

please help me
>>
step 1: practice, maybe you just don't read frequently and thus suck at it

step 2: wait to see if this resolves the problem, if it doesn't go to step 3

step 3: get some ADHD meds or something from a psych or try being less addicted to the internet or whatever
>>
OP, I'm assuming youre a shitposter and a faggot.

In the small case that you are not –smartphones and online interactions have corrupted your brain. You have had no use for detailed comprehension or close reading. However, now you want your brain to do something different.

Practice reading. Just practice getting through even when you don't find it interesting. Read poetry and prose and anything else you can find. When you're bored in a waiting room or something, try reading a magazine and you may find you can "read" it like you haven't been able to before.

Definitely read examples of literary criticism, to see how other people read. Reading is a skill just like writing, sports, vidya, and art. In fact, I'd argue that most of those things are also essentially about a form of reading. Watching how someone else reads can help you realize new ways to read.

Finally, work on memorization. Memorize a Shakespearian sonnet, or even a handful of limericks or the opening paragraph of your favorite novel. You want to build a catalog of literature in your mind.
>>
>>8091448
>>8091456
Thanks for the real responses to my shitty thread. Should I start with books written for kids like Goosebumps or is that going too far? I dropped out of middle school and have been aimlessly just browsing the internet never leaving my house for the last 10 years and now I'm borderline retarded because of it.
>>
Just read shorter books is all I can say. I can't relate to your problem, my favourite books being the stand and the count of monte cristo, however I fell that I've read enough novellas to give you advice. There is plenty of great hundred page adult fiction out there. Things such as 'Of Mice and Men', '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' and ,'Animal Farm' are all classics that only take a couple of hours to finish.
>>
File: 1453235255962.jpg (72 KB, 452x426) Image search: [Google]
1453235255962.jpg
72 KB, 452x426
>>8091469
IMO, start with something like this:
The Catcher in the Rye
Romeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
My Antonia (Very fragmentary, good for building up focus and attention to details)
Frankenstein

On first read, you'll think stuff like "Wow, in Romeo and Juliet, names are really important" and "the Great Gatsby really relates to class issues in the US!" However, as time goes on, you'll start to make the next step, connecting literary devices and themes with philosophies and meaningful arguments. Your observations will sound more like "Gatsby's failure to join the establishment despite being so great really mocks the unfeasibility of the American Dream" or "this book is about America but also about what it means to be a winner or a loser"
>>
I read 100 pages a day, it takes me 3-5 hours.

Sometimes i get frustrated cause it feels like a chore at times but i always keep going on, i used to do 50 pages a day when i first started now i'm onto 150. If you set a goal it forces you to do it

I used to spend 10 hours a day reading middlemarch and only got 50 pages a day done.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.