[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ayn Rand / objectivism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
What is /lit/'s thoughts on objectivism and ayn Rand. I've personally read her book Atlas shrugged. It basically teaches that through the power of yourself you can do anything. I have basically began to live objectivistical now thanks to her and I can say it's quite a nice change for me
>>
I never read this because back in the days of /b/ being subjectively good it was ragged on nonstop, and I really hate books written to elaborate on a single idea that could be described much easier in the form of one well written sentence
>>
>>8084979
I wonder why /b/ hates Rand so much. Probably cuz they're Bernie supporters
>>
I just finished We the Living by her. I have previously read Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged.

As a tl;dr of her expanse of fiction (which isn't inclusive of everything she's wrote fiction; just the popular stuff) Fountainhead > Atlas Shrugged > We the Living > Anthem.

The philosophy behind it all, I already leaned that way before I even started reading anything by her. I did not however like her portrayal of it, in particular through AS and FH.
I thought her characters were unrealistic most of the time, though she did manage to pull off some realistic ones, such as Peter Keating in FH. I mostly read her stories for
the detail that she was able to describe in them, whether it be the railroad or AS, or architecture in FH. I've also noticed through my reading that she has a knack for achieving
underwhelming endings to her stories, especially AS.

As a reader, I'm glad I read her stories, mostly because of her ability to describe the setting and the workings of it. As another fan of character however, I understand completely when
people critique her as a bad writer in terms of inability to portray characters, though I would disagree that she's a bad writer, because her descriptive writing is some of the best I've read.

OP: read Fountainhead if you haven't, it's a much better story.
>>
>>8084971
Rand threads used to be literally banned from the board. That's how productive these threads are.

Rand is a mediocre novelist without much to say, but who nonetheless spreads the little she has as thin and wide as possible
>>
>>8085007

>Rand is a mediocre novelist without much to say, but who nonetheless spreads the little she has as thin and wide as possible

that's you likely haven't read nikolay chernyshevsky... i believe it was he who taught rand that fine art of making ideas into cringeworthy novels, she studied in a soviet school and university after all
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.