[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For trannies >what was therapy like >what sort of questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1442938832920.jpg (84 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1442938832920.jpg
84 KB, 600x800
For trannies

>what was therapy like
>what sort of questions did you get asked
>what was the therapist like
>>
>>6220493
>what was therapy like
enlightening
-how would you feel if you end up as a hon
-why do you want to be a woman
-what do you think of when i say "woman" (basically "do you just wanna wear dresses/makeup without social stigma)
-when did you first feel that way
-did the lack of a father figure if it that was the case influence you
-do you think transition would change who you are
-do you think transition would fix any problems other than gender dysphoria
-*insert standard question to evaluate general mental health here*
all of them were pretty awesome in tackling my views, making me question my reasons and evaluating my mental health
>>
>>6221306

Those questions are too difficult…i think i need a cheat sheet.
>>
>>6220493
>what is your support network?
>why don't you go to a trans support group?
>how was your weekend?
>repeat
>>
>>6220493
Therapy has usually been a really good experience for me. An opportunity to vent petty and obsessive shit that does affect my quality of life, but isn't something I like burdening friends or family with. Just the occasional request for clarification while I ramble and rant, with an occasional tangent thrown in because I'm repeating myself, I suspect. I liked working with my therapists.

HRT assessment has been another beast entirely. Long, invasive, rude questioning about my relationship with my genitalia, broad dismissal of my feelings as irrelevant to the process, and a general balking at the idea that someone could ever want to transition, complete with scare tactics and the use of outdated or outright incorrect information to make the process seem like it would offer no benefit.
>>
bumpu
>>
>>6220493
First therapist was a woman who basically jsut asked a bunch of worthless shit and handed me print outs from self help sites. Low quality 4/10 would not recommend
The second was 25 year old gay fag boy who would pause, hold his pen up, pause,
>I agree with you when you said (parrot me)
2/10 no.

Third was a creepy faggot who tried to take advantage of me after I started showing up in girls clothes to his sessions. Offered me (and reported for) $1k for a blowjob.

At this point I don't think therapy or counciling is real. I do my own psychotherapy by talking to homeless musicians like myself and I'm happier than ever living with true free people and freaks. On paper so I can refill my prescriptions I am seeing a therapist but they're not real I don't even think I remember their name just their practice.

Therapy cannot cure a neurological disorder. Therapists cannot actually do anything for you if you're above about 130 IQ and you've read the same books.

My other friends, the college archetypes and kids who are fast becoming their parents(TM), are all saying how great therapy and anti depressants are.

I'm not a good example of what to expect. Just wanted to add that not everyone in every part of the world should expect similar.
>>
>>6220493
There was a list of questions I was asked, very exhaustive, to make sure that there weren't other complicating issues.

Really basic stuff like

>where were you born
>how much money does your family make
>do you live with parents, guardians, on your own, etc
>What languages do you speak

And then up to

>are you being abused
>have you ever considered suicide
>have you ever intentionally brought harm to yourself

etc etc

I did that test, got cleared, and then...I did the test again, with someone else. Not the exact same test, but fundamentally all the same questions. Then, I did it again, with yet another person. I did this same basic test, like, five times, each time needing a different person to sign off on me. It was a long time before I even really had proper therapy, I just kept getting this stupid test.
>>
Mine was relatively nice and understanding, but that might just be because I live in the San Francisco bay area (also, I was born and grew up in SF, and no not everyone is gay and walks around with no pants smoking weed, it's actually just your average multicultural city). By that time though I had already been on hormones and kind of decided for myself so there was not much to discuss, and she did point me to helpful resources. She was part of my uni's counseling clinic, so since they dealt with students it felt alright.
>>
Never went. Made an appointment with an informed consent doctor. Got a printout of what hormones do and an rx for them in about an hour.
>>
>what was therapy like
Sad.
What was my childhood like. Whether I masturbate and when did I start masturbating. What are my fetishes.
Intrusive and creepy.
>>
>>6222414
how are those questions difficult, just be honest and stuff
>>
>>6231340
>Offered me (and reported for) $1k for a blowjob.
why didn't you accept?
>>
>>6220493
first time
>total fucking waste of time
>"If there was an alternate planet where women acted like men and men acted like women, would you act like a man or a woman?"
>Some 35 year old lady who thought she knew more about trans people than me because she read a textbook in college once.

second time
>therapist asks me how i'm feeling today
>"well to be honest i cant stop thinking about anonymous sex"
>......
>end up fucking
>therapist was a really cute 26 year old woman
>>
>>6232698
desu, a couple cocaine sessions helped me work through my issues better than therapy.
>>
I just want to say that, while a lot of people in this thread have had entirely negative experiences with therapy, there IS such a thing as good therapists and good therapy. Someone who's good at it can make a huge positive difference in your life. Though, yeah, there's a lot of shitty ones out there, especially around LGBT stuff, and especially especially around T specifically. But still, it may be worth giving a shot.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.