[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questioning the gender binary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: gender.jpg (24 KB, 309x295) Image search: [Google]
gender.jpg
24 KB, 309x295
>inb4 I identify as an attack helicopter
I am not saying that there are more than two genders. The only genders are male and female. obligatory fuck tumblr

anyways if there are only two genders, then that would invalidate crazy shit like ze, zim, all of that third gender bs.
but wouldn't identities like genderfluid work?
since genderfluid still coincides with the two gender rule, as it's just when someone alternates between male and female, wouldn't it still be legitimate?

here's the definition of gender google gave me:

gen·der ˈjendər/ noun
1. the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

the "or" would invalidate bigender and agender, but genderfluid, which alternates between male and female, works right?

idk i may or may not be serious. discuss.
>>
>>6473686
Gender isn't real. It's just the social structures your culture ascribes to biological sex - some are common worldwide, like women should have long hair and men should not wear skirts, others are more nuanced. Anyway """gender""" is just the sum total of activities, beliefs, dress, mannerisms of a given sex. These things can be embraced or challenged. So sure, be gender fluid.

However, biological sex is real. If you were born with a dick between your legs and XY chromosomes, you can rebel against gender norms all you want, you are still male. Forever.
>>
>>6473758
hows summer vacation treating you? i see you passed biology well this year :)
>>
>>6473812
I'm long out of school, working in the tech industry. But thanks, summer is warm and comfy.

I only wrote that out to make the point that gender is just cultural stuff we ascribe to one sex or the other. Whereas sex itself is biological, down to the chromosomes and ability to reproduce.

So many people seem to misunderstand that simple concept.
>>
>>6473852
Gender is, and always will be synonymous with sex. People who say otherwise are delusional
>>
>>6473812
haha lol when is biology? I have an older friend in high school who I think is in 11th grade and he said he once said that biology class is easy.
I know that this is a more complex issue, you could say that I'm mature for my age hahaaha xD
>>
>>6473863
In common use, you're pretty much right. A woman is a female, and a man is a male.

But I look kindly on our trans siblings, if they want to be treated like women even though they are unpassing hons, I will treat them like women. They will never be female though.

See the distinction? A "woman" fulfills the gender roles of females in our culture. A "female" is a biological observation of genitalia and DNA.

I think this approach to gender/sex allows for tolerance of people who transition to alleviate GD, while not denying basic understanding of what differentiates the sexes.

If there were a better way to treat GD than transitioning, I'd reconsider this position, and probably treat transgenderism as a fetish. But there's not.
>>
Be whatever the fuck you want but don't expect everyone to get it and whatever you do don't force people to use your own pronouns
>>
>>6473758
>some are common worldwide, like women should have long hair and men should not wear skirts
Those weren't common worldwide before globalisation
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.