[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Positive Representation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 20
File: lifeiscute.jpg (883 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lifeiscute.jpg
883 KB, 1920x1080
Hey, legbutts, I'm curious as to what you think about the increasingly common (and positive) representation of LGBT individuals in the media?

I've seen less and less stereotypical "fabulous" gay guys, and lesbians are no longer portrayed exclusively as "man hating dykes."

I hear the new Star Trek show is slated to also have a trans crew member, and the show runner, Brian Fuller, has always represented LGBT-folk well.

I still think we have a long way to go, especially for trans and queer-kin, but what do you think?
>>
As someone who has dated a transgirl, I want to see LESS lgbt inspired media, kthx
>>
File: maxandchloe.jpg (62 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
maxandchloe.jpg
62 KB, 1191x670
>>6457531
Can you tell us more about why you want to see less of her and other LGBT folk like yourself in the media?
>>
File: skins_s2_002.jpg (203 KB, 1600x852) Image search: [Google]
skins_s2_002.jpg
203 KB, 1600x852
>>6457510
I think that it's just people trying to make themselves feel better by including a token character who's (insert minority here) into an ensemble cast who doesn't have any internal conflicts or interesting plot threads in order to appear progressive.

Trying to pander to a community without ever being a part of it means that nobody will like that token character and will find them boring.

It used to be token black characters then token gay characters, then token latinas and now it'll be token trans. Then it'll probably be token Muslims. A token is still a token.
>>
>>6457543
I do want to see a few more straight guy+transgirl stories in media, but I don't think there should be this crazy obsession with adding MORE AND MORE and basically making things apply a checklist
>>
>>6457591
Yeah, I would have also added that the new Star Trek is going to also have a devout Muslim crew member so that they can show the world Islam isn't evil. Kinda like having Chekov in the original series to show the U.S. and Russia could get along... Following all out nuclear war.
>>
>>6457543
I'd rather see a transguy in a show than a transgirl. Maybe they just blend into society to well?
>>
>>6457510
I'd like to see the breakdown of the lesbian vs gays thing. I have yet to even see that in real life. Modern Family had it and it annoyed me. It doesn't happen plain and simple from my experience. I've never met lesbians angry at gays, especially fem lesbians. My ex-bf organizes little social gathering for lgbt people and there is no quarrel between groups like the media says there is, just pure bs.
>>
>>6457600
It is always funny to talk to the transgirls I know who want to date straight guys, but get angry at these straight guys for being "chasers" immediately after.

>>6457613
I actually dated a transguy, and while I don't like to ignore someone's preferred gender, she was a nightmarish bitch. She cheated on me, lied about it, and tried to take advantage of me financially.
>>
>>6457510
Wouldn't being trans be a non-issue in a futuristic society?

You go through hormones and surgery while in puberty, transition, and you're not trans anymore. You're either an adult man or an adult woman.
>>
>>6457606
>implying the LGBT community has any love for Muslims after Orlando
>>
>>6457632
Super. Nice blog.

Doesn't change the fact that when trans issues are brought up on TV it's always through a character that's MtF.
>>
>>6457606
That wouldn't make any sense. In Star Trekm Earth is an atheist utopia. How can they have an Earth-based religion on the show?

It's not like being Muslim is the same as being Arab.
>>
>>6457649
Fair enough, but I don't know when this series is set to take place. The eugenics wars were supposed to take place in the 1990s, so who knows how long it took for medical tech to correct itself. And just because there were other aliens doesn't mean they had trans-surgery technology.
>>
>>6457658
Wrongo

One of the best trans characters I've seen was on Two and a Half Men, he used to date Charlie but later became an FTM

The episode ended with him banging Charlie's mom

Call me when an MTF has as good a character as that
>>
>>6457671
Have you seen The Next Generation? There are Native American shamans with magical religious powers. I'm not even kidding... Wil Wheaton's character gets some of these powers at the very end of the series.

Star Trek doesn't have a problem with religion, just a problem with Christianity.
>>
File: AnitaB.png (153 KB, 291x421) Image search: [Google]
AnitaB.png
153 KB, 291x421
>>6457686
>one FtM
>discounts that most trans representation is MtF
Wrong-o
>>
>>6457693
Doesn't change the fact that Star Trek, for the most, does not have its main human cast practice any real-world religion. It would alienate too many viewers.

Besides, that depiction of Injun Magicks doesn't count.
>>
>>6457699
>Posts a negative trans portrayal, disproving their own point

Point to me a positive MTF portrayal and I'll agree with you
>>
>>6457693
>>6457710
Also, some Native American cultures experienced a resurgence in the 23rd and 24th centuries. They adapted to their times and circumstances, some tribes included alien species such as the Ferengi, Klingons, and Vulcans as totem spirits.

The Native Americans actually settled a planet on the border between Federation and Klingon space and elected to become part of the Klingon Empire because of how horrible other humans (whites) had treated them 500 years ago.
>>
>>6457710
Star Trek has always been about promoting social change. The new show will have Muslim and LGBT folk get along to make a point.
>>
File: kate.jpg (40 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
kate.jpg
40 KB, 425x516
>>
File: doctor_white_pb2.jpg (826 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
doctor_white_pb2.jpg
826 KB, 1200x1500
>>6457683
For humans, being trans even in Kirk's time would be a non-issue. Just with the way their medical science had progressed compared to our own.

Besides, boring plot point that only really matters if there's a boring romance subplot shoehorned into a scifi story.

I'm hoping that there's an actually interesting SciFi character thrown into the mix who's not just there to spout off progressive talking points.
>>
>>6457725
Kate isn't a legbutt. She is a devote Christian.
>>
>>6457510
It's practically impossible to introduce a trans character in popular media without using their disorder as a gimmick, using rhem as a humor device, or using them for shock value. In that respect it's just like schizophrenia or bpd, the only difference is that trans people are extremely outwardly obvious so subtlety's even less viable.

A male character acts like a male, a female character acts like a female. Blurring the lines is taboo and whenever it's done, the last thing on the content creator's mind is to softball it in. It's either unanimously accepted/unacknowledged by everyone or only brought up to demonize a character/show the trans character's struggles.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>6457729
Star Trek has always been about progressive talking points.

I've found that liberals tend to like Star Trek for the philosophy, science and collectivism while conservatives tend to like Star Wars for the action and freedom fighters.
>>
File: Max.jpg (1011 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Max.jpg
1011 KB, 1920x1080
>>6457731
Oh yeah?
>>
>>6457747
You can ship them all you want, just realize it isn't canon. Christians might "tolerate" LGBT people, but that is all.
>>
File: thumbnail_3838866463274057308.jpg (65 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_3838866463274057308.jpg
65 KB, 400x300
>>6457714
I think a negative portrayal can be more powerful than a positive one, depending on the context. That character is obviously trans but the other characters treat her normally.

It's only 'negative' because the fact that this character and that one don't pass is used as punchline in a comedy. But they aren't ever persuaded in-story to stop being who they are. They aren't treated with hatred. They're considered normal to the rest of the cast.
>>
>>6457738
Then you don't know many conservatives at all. I personally know more liberals than conservatives that enjoy Star Wars over Star Trek.
>>
File: marshfield.gif (2 MB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
marshfield.gif
2 MB, 500x230
>>6457757
>every Christian is from the Westboro Baptist Church
>>
>>6457772
Clearly you cannot into liberalism. Christianity is worse than Islam.
>>
>>6457770
Or you don't know many conservatives, because after living in six states, I've found the opposite to be true.
>>
>>6457757
It depends on the church and the congregation. There's more acceptance from Christians than any other religion towards the LGBT community.

Christians are a big and soft target so they're targeted by people who want to get back at them.

Note how many Muslim owned bakeries are asked to produce gay wedding cakes.
>>
>>6457759
>Transwomen should be portrayed as freaks and not as objects of desire by men

Who does this help in the long run though? Hons?
>>
>>6457786
After living in six states, I'd be surprised if you ever really got to know that many people that well.

But in my experience, conservatives enjoy Star Trek, especially Next Generation and DS9 even though they don't agree with some of the politics while liberals find the shows boring.
>>
File: marshfield.png (580 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
marshfield.png
580 KB, 1280x960
>>6457780
A lot of protestants don't mind legbutts at all. What you're thinking of are the Orthodox and Catholic people.

>tfw non-cis Christian and all the "God made you who you are" quotes hurt anyway
>>
>>6457780
>Christianity is worse than Islam
keeping us from getting married is worse than shooting us in the face? How do you figure?
>>
>>6457796
Having a character who's 'different' but accepted by the cast helps to normalize what makes them different.

That attitude in the show would hopefully influence the attitude people have towards someone who's trans. It doesn't seem like some that's all that weird anymore.
>>
>>6457807
>implying you can't know if someone prefers Star Wars or Star Trek without spending years getting to know them...
>>
>>6457813
Islam doesn't do that. You're getting bullshitted by the Republican media.
>>
>>6457833
Sure they don't. The Orlando shooting didn't happen amirite?
>>
>>6457780
>Christianity is worse than Islam.
10 Islam run countries execute gay people for being gay.
0 Christian run countries execute gay people for being gay.

I know you're butthurt about those mean ole Christians. But they're getting better. Maybe if you were more tolerant of them then they wouldn't have a reason not to tolerate you.

But obviously you've drunken the liberal Kool-Aid and don't care that if any place enacts sharia law it means anyone who's openly LGBT is gonna get lynched.
>>
>>6457839
That was only because Americans have easy access to guns. Not because of Islam.
>>
>>6457833
Haha top kek lol
>>
File: isis-gay-man-executed-syria.jpg (354 KB, 1073x683) Image search: [Google]
isis-gay-man-executed-syria.jpg
354 KB, 1073x683
>>6457833
Yes, it does. Get yourself educated, you look like a dumbass.
>>
>>6457833
>Islam doesn't do that
maybe not in the united states, but there's been a steady amount of lgbt deaths in europe ever since the refugee crisis began, and republicans have little influence here.
>>
I'm amazed how many racist Conservatives visit this board. I thought this was /lgbt/, not /pol/...
>>
>>6457851
Nobody at Pulse had a gun except for the shooter.

If guns were so easy to get, maybe less gay Hispanic men would've died because the staff would've been armed.
>>
>>6457862
Islam is a religion not a race. Being against any organized religion is not racism.
>>
>>6457862
how is Islam a race? You can't call it xenophobia because a large amount of the recent terror attacks have been done by white men who converted to Islam. I don't understand why I can openly criticize Christians for hating us, but not Islam.
>>
>>6457863
Guns are easy to get, there are just some places you can't take them. Like Pulse. If we have comprehensive gun control reform, tragedies like Orlando wouldn't happen.
>>
>>6457863
How many gays that openly go to gay night clubs would actually be armed?

Liberal gays are the worst.
>>
>>6457862
I am amazed at how many retarded lgbt people there are that post on this board. Did you know some of these girls have a penis? Lol
>>
>>6457873
Because Muslims aren't white and the majority of the last 2000 years of religious violence has been done by Christians to non-Christians.
>>
>>6457825
>using only greentext
Shows that you have no argument.
>>
File: 1455077444321.png (274 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
1455077444321.png
274 KB, 425x516
>>6457851
Liberals are literal cancer. I don't hear about any Christians shooting gays but maybe that's because the media is controlled by Republicans now?

>France ISIS shootings (where guns are banned)
>France blames ISIS and bombs them.

>Russian plane bombed in Egypt
>Russia blames and bombs ISIS 24/7

>Orlando shootings
>Damn guns need to be banned!
>>
>>6457876
>If we have comprehensive gun control reform, tragedies like Orlando wouldn't happen.

Liberals think you can't document and deport all illegals

Liberals think you CAN document and take/destroy all guns
>>
>>6457862
I'm amazed how you have no argument to make because there isn't one and instead resort to blame the conservative boogeyman instead.
>>
>>6457880
true, but that pretty much stopped over the last century. These days christians are pretty harmless. Annoying, but harmless.
>>
>>6457878
You obviously didn't read my post in its entirety since I said that staff would be armed if guns were so easy to get. Or maybe you're using google translate and it couldn't translate that nuance? How much are you getting paid to shill for Islam?

Because here on /lgbt/ we hate ALL religions.

>>6457879
Obvious Muslim shill is obvious.

>>6457880
Bullshit. Christians haven't been slaughtering non-Christians for hundreds of years and even when they did it wasn't as bad as the Holocausts that happen between the sunni and the shia.

And Islam is a religion, not a race. You can't be racist towards a religion. That's just stupid. You're stupid.
>>
>>6457883
>the media is controlled by Republicans now?

During the Democrat sit-in this week C-SPAN, who's supposed to be impartial, was told by the Speaker of the House to turn off the cameras they have set up at the House.

They then broadcasted a Periscope stream from a Democrat politicians phone on TV in direct defiance of the Republican Speaker of the House.

Democrats still own the media that isn't Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.
>>
>>6457914
Guns are easy to get, but you cant take them in most businesses.
>>
>>6457876
>Guns are easy to get
Not if you have a record.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/steinberg-would-be-terrorists-can-buy-guns-but-a-reporter-no/
>>
>>6457932
I'll state it more directly so that google translate makes it obvious: If the staff of Pulse, the people that were working at Pulse, were armed then less Latinos would have died.

You can take a gun into a business where you are an employee if there's a policy in place that some employees need to be armed. In order to shoot a Muslim dead when he starts trying to massacre the place.
>>
>>6457923
>the media is controlled by Republicans now?
It was sarcasm to reflect how retarded liberals are mate. A number of legbutts here have probably resorted to voting republican just because of how retarded the other camp is now.
>>
File: mcupload_56fdac9a13c0b.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1072) Image search: [Google]
mcupload_56fdac9a13c0b.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1072
>>6457932
>Guns are easy to get
Only in some cities. Goddamn, does it feel good to live in Dallas.
>>
>>6457960
Whoops, my bad.
>>
>>6457510
transsexualism imo shouldn't be in media unless it's relevant to the plot; unless you see the characters genitals or know they have sex, or a few other context things, you don't really know if they're transgender or not. I have a similar opinion on gays and lesbians but what hasn't been said about tokenism that hasn't already.

I kinda wish fags didn't die every single time but I understand they make more money if they can show a film outside of America and Europe so it's never gonna happen.
>>
For gay men I've seen nothing but pathetic emo teens who whine how much everything sucks and are full of melodrama. Obviously written by women.
>>
>>6457862
There is NO REASON for lgbt to be apologetic towards Islam. You wouldn't take seriously people who use books written in the 60s against homosexuality, why would you listen to people who use 2000 years old book? Doesn't matter whether it's Christians or Muslims. Being against Islam bullshit means being against bigoted conservatism.
>>
>>6457714
>>
>>6457510
Hey is this game actually good? I'm thinking of buying it.
>>
>>6457862
>I'm amazed at how many gays are afraid of religions that explicitly want to kill them
word it's truly fascinating
>>
>>6459318
It is indeed.
>>
File: image.gif (184 KB, 211x120) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
184 KB, 211x120
>>6457510
Japanese portray LGBT the best
>>
>>6457823
>Having a character who's 'different' but accepted by the cast helps to normalize what makes them different.

Not when it's played for laughs, and definitel not when the entire rest of the cast are freaks, as they are in 'Oblongs' and 'Superjail'.

>>6457810
>A lot of protestants don't mind legbutts at all. What you're thinking of are the Orthodox and Catholic people.

It's complicated with us papists, at least with the younger generation. For those few of us who are devout, the ideological objection to homosexuality is, as you note, much greater than it is in non-evangelical Protestants, but the personal discomfort is much lower, because there are so many gay priests that we get used to it. Always have been, though it wasn't until the increased portrayal of gays in media that most of us developed a strong enough gaydar to realise it.

>>6457880
>[T]he majority of the last 2000 years of religious violence has been done by Christians to non-Christians.

Not even, though: http://carm.org/religion-cause-war
>>
>>6457723
Sure, Star Trek promotes change, but Muslims in space? It's just going too far
>>
>>6460112
Yes, when it is played for laughs. Having a boring character in a comedy series who isn't funny makes the fact that they're gay or trans seem like the reason why they're boring and different compared to the rest of the cast.

I'm sorry that you are too thin-skinned to be able to take a joke directed towards what you believe in.
>>
It went from absolute dogshit writing to absolutely dogshit writing.

Theres better writing in many fanfics than in mainstream media for some reason, and its as evident as ever with the shoehorned in homosexuals.
>>
File: tumblr_m7jkctX9mn1ro52gpo1_500.jpg (84 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7jkctX9mn1ro52gpo1_500.jpg
84 KB, 500x450
>>6460711
Yeah, slash fiction can be real good. Too bad Batman vs Superman was about 2 straight guys that bond over having a mom with the same name instead of making out at the end of the movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 275x183
>>6458630
I don't see much of that in 'Murica?

All i want is cute gay emo twinks or traps...
>>
>>6459329
99.999999999% of the world's Muslims would never harm a fly. Christians on the other hand...
>>
>>6460668
>Having a boring character in a comedy series who isn't funny makes the fact that they're gay or trans seem like the reason why they're boring and different compared to the rest of the cast.

That's bad too. Doesn't mean that making 'BECAUSE HE'S GAY' a punchline actually makes the character seem normal. It's a fine line where they have to be able to be ridiculed, but for who they are as a person, not just for their sexuality.
>>
I want trans "representation" to stop desu. Sure, spread the word out there I guess, get people to be more accepting or whatever but I value being stealth more than anything, and highlighting trans people is just gonna make everyone a pass nazi like the guys in passgen
>>
File: angry pepe.jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
angry pepe.jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>6457510
>I've seen less and less stereotypical "fabulous" gay guys, and lesbians are no longer portrayed exclusively as "man hating dykes."
Yeah, that's actually great and I love it, too!
>I still think we have a long way to go, especially for trans and queer-kin, but what do you think?
WHAT? Who are "we"? The whole lgbt-"community"? This board? The artists? The producers? The "politically progressive people"?
I don't want lgbt-characters put in the media by force!!! "We want to be progressive, so we've decided to put a lgbt character into the show/vidya/whatever." Urgh... I want to puke!

Does nobody know anything about ART? It's about fictional stories, that originated from a genuine enthusiasm of an artist. It's not about fucking money and not about fucking politics either! Don't do it by force, just let there be different characters and create great stories with them, that feel right.
Just give lgbt-people good jobs and opportunities to be active artists and provide platforms to get their works to the customer aaaand the "lgbt-friendly" media will create itself.
>>
>>6461244
cont. in general I think the whole representation issue is a load of shit I don't care about. Sorry, but even as an LGBT I prefer the characters in my shows to be all be cis and preferably straight. I lose interest very quickly in LGBT ones.
>>
>>6457510
Max and Chloe are both so cute, holy fuck.

On topic though, I enjoy seeing gay stuff but I think trans stuff gets really obnoxious really fast unless it's not played terribly seriously or they don't bring much attention to it.
>>
>>6457613
Degrassy has one I think

Though from what I remember that show wasn't that great(looking back the trans guy was represented well but the show is just garbage)
>>
>>6459318
I Enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it
>>
>>6460937
Muslim shill, go. We don't believe your shit anymore.
>>
>>6461037
No, it isn't If you think that's only good to make a joke out of groups that you don't like you're showing how you aren't really laughing because it's funny but you want those groups to be criticized and 'take that!'

Which is a very childish way to approach comedy.
>>
>>6457658
that's because nobody gives a fuck about women who dress and act like men
>>
>>6459318
Do you like games that are really gay, about annoying white teenage girls, and are basically upgraded walking simulators?
>>
>>6462982

It's not, but the opposite doesn't imply normalisation either. People make jokes about things that they don't find normal or acceptable all the time. Including them in a comedy show may not necessarily be degrading, but it isn't going to change that.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.