[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Genuine austrailian same sex marraige post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: johnfgtcena.jpg (12 KB, 180x252) Image search: [Google]
johnfgtcena.jpg
12 KB, 180x252
Same-sex unions are treated as de facto unions under the Australian federal law, though each Australian state and territory is entitled to create their own laws with respect to same-sex relationship registers and same-sex partnership schemes. Same-sex couples are prevented from marrying by the definition of marriage contained within the federal Marriage Act (1961), as amended in 2004 by the Howard Government.

As of 2015, 16 attempts have been made to amend the Marriage Act so as to legalise same-sex marriage, all of which have been unsuccessful. In December 2013 the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) briefly legalised same-sex marriage at a territory-based level, though the Federal Government launched a challenge in the High Court and the ACT legislation was struck down on the basis that laws with respect to marriage were a constitutionally exclusive power of the Commonwealth. The current policy of the Coalition Government is to conduct a national plebiscite on the issue in 2016, following this year's federal election. The opposition Labor Party supports same-sex marriage in its national platform (though allows its parliamentary members a conscience vote on same-sex marriage legislation until 2019) and current party leader Bill Shorten has pledged to introduce a Marriage Equality Bill in the parliament within 100 days of taking office if elected to government at the next election.

1/3 Austrialians are homophobic making them a minority. My question is why is this even an issue given those statistics, one of the last issues to complete equality in Australia and penny wong of SA is against the idea of a plebiscite stating homophobia before there's even a vote
>>
Population statistics aren't always accurate (duh), but even if it was, There may still be people indifferent to the situation, the stats may also include people under the proper voting age, and government does not always equally represent the populous.

It would be great if they finally were able to get a bill passed, and with more countries being accepting of gays, it may happen soon, but we will have to wait and see.
>>
It never got through because Rudd was a fucking arsehole and Gillard had to appease the right. Same sex marriage is extremely unlikely to happen under a Coalition (Right wing parties) government.

People oppose the plebicide because it is non-binding, which means the Coalition can drag their feet on implementing it if the plebicide got a majority yes. If somehow the plebicide got a no result then the Coalition could go "oh well lets not revisit the issue for the next hundred years". Having a plebicide even if it was binding is rediculous as it is obvious a vast majority of the country.

Unfortunately same sex marriage isn't a major voting issue, a lot of people aren't willing to put it high on their list of things to vote people for. In some ways I dont blame them considering how garbage the last few Labor governments were and this is coming from a person who votes Greens regularly. I just hope Shorten gets in, he won't be the best prime minister but I think he could do some good stuff.
>>
File: fuck copper.jpg (59 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
fuck copper.jpg
59 KB, 940x627
>>6437194
Who gives a shit about marriage.

Fiber optic > copper

Vote Labour
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.