[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you define "queer", and is it a legit label
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: CgvYmruUcAA8Xqm.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CgvYmruUcAA8Xqm.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
How do you define "queer", and is it a legit label for oneself? Why or why not?
>>
>>6348879
Hate that word.
>>
>>6349019
Why's that?
>>
>>6349057
not the guy you're responding to, but maybe because the term doesn't really mean anything? like...some people think it means gay, or non-binary, i've even seen it being used in place of "pansexual" (which tbqh thank god that's falling out of favor). i've also seen str8, cis people identify as "queer" in which case it literally means nothing. it's just a really vague "i fall on the spectrum" but also misused by a lot of people who don't so....
>>
>>6348879
An unpopular synonym for weird, implies something magical or supernatural. Brings to mind faeries, particularly the sinister kind.

That, or what a southern redneck uses when he's already said 'faggot' and wants something new. Probably what he calls his buddies when they're sucking him off.
>>
It was cool when it was an insult. Now it's been appropriated by 'check your privilege' cunts and it's ruined.
>>
>>6349117
I'd say it means SOMEthing, but not really something good. It's used by gender studies and sociology academic types as a catch-all term to use when talking about gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals. Aka, they unironically use the term "queer studies". Also it's used in the sense like "genderqueer" as in wearing clothes not fitting for your own sex/gender and not acting in a way befitting someone of your gender. And lastly, "queer" is sometimes used by bisexuals to describe their mannerisms, personality and lifestyle. etc. Like I've heard of people say they're both bisexual and queer, meaning that they are bi as far as orientations but they live and act like a gay man or lesbian...

The last two, using it as an identifier, I think are at least somewhat useful. But it's still kind of a bunch of special snowflake BS. Like a so-called bi/queer man should just say something like "I'm bi but I act like an effeminate gay man." Or somehow otherwise be specific about what they mean. I think whole sashaying, mincing gay man thing is often mere affectation and not something that, culturally, has always been associated with gayness.
>>
>>6348879
From what I've seen people just use it to mean anything not cis het. I think it's fine as like a umbrella term, for example queer support groups or like someone else said queer studies, but if someone just says they are queer and doesn't go into any further specifics it's not really that helpful.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.