[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, can anyone here explain to me the deal with calling "you"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: mgid ao image mtv.com 98562.jpg (41 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
mgid ao image mtv.com 98562.jpg
41 KB, 980x551
Hi, can anyone here explain to me the deal with calling "you" "they"? What's the justification for raping English grammar?
>>
>>6339760

>not believing in singular use of they

I used they that way long before the non-binary stuff became publicized.
>>
>>6339775
then explain what's the reason behind.
>>
>>6339760
Language changes over time. If it didn't English itself wouldn't exist. Literally now literally means literally and the opposite of literally. Literally. Just roll with it and don't get your panties in a twist over grammar.
>>
>>6339760
>singular they
>bad
Jane Austen and Shakespeare used it, prescriptivist tard
>>
>>6339797
>Just roll with it and don't get your panties in a twist over grammar.
Sorry but I cringe pretty hard when a snowflake gets triggered for not calling him plural
>>6339813
nobody does it today, don't get shocked if 99% of people get confused with a singular they.
Gets even more confusing for me since English is not my first language.

and still I have no answers
>>
>>6339834
>Sorry but I cringe pretty hard when a snowflake gets triggered for not calling him plural

So you get triggered over someone else getting triggered? Try growing the fuck up.
>>
>>6339834
>nobody does it today,
Yes people do it today, people do it regularly. The only people who sincerely believe nobody does it today are pretentious morons who wish english grammar worked like fucking latin.
>>
>>6339760
OP I don't care about your thread topic but she's cute af.
>>
>>6339789

What do you use for a hypothetical person that could be of either gender when composing a scenario? "He or she" or "they"?
>>
>>6339933
I just check the passport.
>>
>>6339864
>people do it regularly
lol, source? Never seen this outside of the Internet

> pretentious morons who wish english grammar worked like fucking latin.
like any grammar it has rules.
And saying "hey, how are they?" referred to 2nd singular
Again: don't get shocked if most of people find this weird.
>>
>>6340009
*is wrong and very unusual.
>>
>>6340009
>Again: don't get shocked if most of people find this weird.
You're literally just one person until you can prove that most people do find it weird.
>>
We are the collective. We are they. Address is as such or face the wrath of a triggering cascade extending inward to infinity.
>>
>>6339760
>literally never read sheakespeare
>>6339834
>nobody does it today, don't get shocked if 99% of people get confused with a singular they.
Gets even more confusing for me since English is not my first language.

Yes they do. All the time. At least English not being your first language kind of explains it.
>>
>>6340045
yeah I find it weird too, outside of tumblr I NEVER hear this and I'm on the internet all the time. I've never heard anyone use it outside of the internet either.
>>
>>6340148
>English not being your first language kind of explains it.
I live in an English speaking country btw.
I'm constantly bombarded with American and British media, still have to see this "they" thing.

>>6340148
ok, so now we must go back to Early Modern English to accommodate trannies?
>>
>>6340534
I live in England and I see it constantly.
>>
>>6339834
>English is not my first language.
Then accept its use and stop being a fool. Learning another language involves mimicry.
>>
>>6340534
I can't even recall ever hearing it being used for that, but keep going with your narrative
>>
"they" has been in common and technical usage in this way for centuries, and honesty if you really didn't know that I can only assume that you've never read a book in your life.
>>
Literate people use it. It´s just basic liguistic rules. I work in academia and singular they is used all the time in books and papers. The fact you´ve never encoutered it probably says more about your education level than how prevalent the use of the word is.
>>
I think I see the problem
"They" and "their" are acceptable as plural or singular 3rd person pronouns in English
"You" and "your" are the 2nd person pronouns and no one has a problem with them, unless they're retarded
>>
>OP is an idiot and they got btfo
>>
This!!! >>6340915
I've been using singular they for decades. When you don't know somebody's gender, it's what you use. I likely picked it up from the academics I talked to as a child and teen.
>>
File: 1147641141_eslaughter.gif-c200.gif (49 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1147641141_eslaughter.gif-c200.gif
49 KB, 200x200
Daily reminder that this is a post made by a pedophile who is buttmad that trans acceptance didn't lead to child rape becoming legal.
You needn't do anything besides cackle at his degeneracy
>>
>>6339958
you're a moron
>>
>>6339760
>mfw she's trans
is this the first male to robin scherbatsky transition?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.