[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize it was impossible to respect everyone's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
When did you realize it was impossible to respect everyone's gender and sexual identities? With an ever expanding range of terms trying to encompass every technical branch of sexuality and gender expression there's just no way.

The way I see it, gender is just a set of expectations set for people with either a penis or a vagina. Expectations that one could ignore. And society could accept this if we didn't need to have gendered pronouns or separate restrooms.

Sexuality on the other hand is simply a preference with varying strength. People have preferences for the weight, height, hair, voice, skin tone, facial features, accent, etc of their sexual partner. It just so happens that the sexual organ of their partner are a fairly strong preference for most people. It's not wrong to have a preference, but labeling it is like identifying as a chubby-chaser. It doesn't make sense when you try to expand it to all possibilities.
>>
what auromatic and demisexual?
>>
File: snowflake.jpg (34 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
snowflake.jpg
34 KB, 500x419
>>5903044
>When did you realize it was impossible to respect everyone's gender and sexual identities?
The same time I realized it was impossible to respect everyone's race and culture.

And this isn't a /pol/ shill, this is just fact. I believe that making sure brown-skinned refugees from war-torn countries do not have priority over homeless veterans on the street, and I believe that my own personal security trumps (pun) all of that.

If we can't do that based on physical and obvious characteristics, it's stupid to assume we can do that with private and personal desires.

That picture triggers me because it's just a bunch of fucking stupid labels that people use to feel like special snowflakes. Spoiler: If nobody is using the same label, then it's not a very good label. It's just masking what you feel with obscure bullshit terms.
>>
It's a feminist idea that all gender is drag, it was Judith Butler that said it I think.
And although its an extreme view it holds somewhat of a merit, but it neglects that even though its cultural relative - we take confidence and security from that.
If we are to cut-up and become so individual that each and everyone of us has personal pronouns and a unique sexuality we will have nothing to look towards as inspiration, nothing to build our confidence on.

This is what many feminists and cultural relativists don't see. They see a billboard with a beautiful woman and think that its an unfair representation because we can't all look like that, when in fact the purpose could just as easily be to remind us to stretch out towards and work ourselves to an ideal as far as it is possible for us.
If we forgo ideals and instead demand to be taken as we are and that reality around us should change instead of us we lose an important part of what it means to be human.
>>
When men pretending to be women started expecting to be taken seriously.

Can we just fucking remove the T from LGBT?
>>
Elaboration for the sake of self bumping:

Gendered pronouns are a relic of society, serving no real function today. Tell yourself, why do you need to know the gender of a person to talk about them? We all know the answer to that question is A) to make assumptions about them. and B) to complete sentences by filling in the correct pronouns where they need to be. That's the extent of it.

Oh but there's the question of whether I'd need to think of them as a sexual partner or not. Oh please. You know if you're attracted to someone once you get to know them anyway.

And sexuality. As I said before, it's an impossible task to have sexual identity words that cover every possible option.

I mean how do I, as a person who prefers men but who also finds chubby women and passable chubby transgender women attractive (aka Michelle Austin), identify my sexuality. I don't want to have to find a fitting phrase and then explain in detail what it means to everyone I meet. I don't understand why the accepted method of dealing with this problem is to make more and more terms.

>>5903083
Aromantic (not romantic?)
demisexual (kind of sexual?)

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about.
>>
File: lgbt1.jpg (8 KB, 320x128) Image search: [Google]
lgbt1.jpg
8 KB, 320x128
>>5903100
/agree

Transgender is a mental issue separate from sexual preference.
>>
>>5903100
I have no problems with transgender people, just with people who start mutilating themselves. I define mutilation as destroying sexual organs mostly. Breast enlargement or reduction isn't that bad, it's just kind of awkward when the person can't pull it off.

Anyway, have you tried comparing Female Genital Mutilation to gender reassignment surgery? The only difference is that one is done by doctors and the other is done in someone's backyard with a rusty can. Whenever I bring that up in class my liberal minded teachers kind of scratch their head and question all their beliefs about the subject.
>>
>>5903114
>Tell yourself, why do you need to know the gender of a person to talk about them? We all know the answer to that question is A) to make assumptions about them. and B) to complete sentences by filling in the correct pronouns where they need to be. That's the extent of it.
Men and women have a specific culture you have treat them differently, if i ask a man and a woman what their age is it comes off unintentionally as if i'm hitting on her. There are two genders everyone else is an anomaly out in it's own culture.

>
I mean how do I, as a person who prefers men but who also finds chubby women and passable chubby transgender women attractive (aka Michelle Austin), identify my sexuality.

Just say you like chubby transwomen.

>I don't understand why the accepted method of dealing with this problem is to make more and more terms.

I agree with this though.
>>
>>5903156
MY BODY MY RIGHTS

Look, I don't give two shits if people want to turn their hot dog inside out, just so long as they don't push Medicaid/Insurance to have taxpayer dollars fund it. It is 100% a cosmetic, non-medical procedure and should be funded 100% out of pocket.
>>
personally I disregard anything outside of lgbt, especially stupid gender shit, just enough to where I don't offend anyone, but I think they're delusional.
>>
>>5903044

why do we need 7 human souls?

Toriel can just blow up the barrier
>>
>>5903171
this
>>
File: 1431410393709.gif (2 MB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1431410393709.gif
2 MB, 500x374
>>5903044
>Hi girl i have a crush on. how are you today?
>"im VERY clearly a man, thank you, i wish to be identified as "he" and "him", i am not gay, i am straight, and only attracted to females"
>mfw
>>
>>5903044
Huh? I still respect everyone, regardless of who they are or whom they fuck. Why would there be an identity I don't respect?
>>
>>5903156
>Anyway, have you tried comparing Female Genital Mutilation to gender reassignment surgery? The only difference is that one is done by doctors and the other is done in someone's backyard with a rusty can. Whenever I bring that up in class my liberal minded teachers kind of scratch their head and question all their beliefs about the subject.
Uh, one is consensual and one is not? That's kind of a pretty big deal. That's like saying farm labor should be banned because it's the same kind of work once done by slaves.
>>
>>5903156
>Anyway, have you tried comparing Female Genital Mutilation to gender reassignment surgery?
i wouldn't even know where to begin with because i can't see any similarities.
>>5903171
>It is 100% a cosmetic, non-medical procedure
the doctors disagree. your feelings won't change that.
>>
>>5903098
>naturally 10/10 people with hundreds of dollars of cosmetics and photoshopped on top of it plastered on every form of media possible specifically to kick at emotional responses and sell things
>proven over and over to damage people's self image and perception of the other sex
>dur dur just use it as a motivator! just smile! :)

Happy-go-lucky, oblivious dipshits like you are why these industries are allowed to fistfuck the human psyche for profit. Kill yourself.
>>
>>5906200
its your choice to demand the mountain come to you instead of being the best you can be.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.