[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When it comes to video games with binary genders, do transgender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
When it comes to video games with binary genders, do transgender people have trouble answering/deciding whether you want to play as male or female?
>>
non-binary here, always pick female
>>
Gender is binary. One can pretend to be the other, but that does not make it so.

>muh percentage of the population that is born with fucked up genitals!
So infrequent that it statistically doesn't exist.
>>
>>6311078
I'm mtf and always since the dawn of time picked female if I had a choice.

On a side note, I've never considered myself non binary and still give non binary trans people funny looks. A non binary trans person just sounds like an oxymoron to me.
>>
>>6311101
What do you have to say about all of the third genders in non-Western societies? Sex is binary and gender arises from sex but some rare individuals fall somewhere in between.
>>
>>6311101
>>6311243
Here, found an article by Alice Dreger.
https://psmag.com/the-old-way-to-be-gay-1ef8f1f16f73
>>
>>6311101
Actually, intersex births were thought to be more common than transgender people until very recently. Close to 1% of births do not result in a child that fits either sex quite right. Any statistics that round that off to 0 are pretty irresponsible.

>>6311078
I'm a trans woman, so I almost invariably pick female for characters I'll be with for a while. That said, some of the male models in games are really fun to look at in motion.
>>
Godamn I hate trannies. They just infiltrated gay movents and took it as their own. Now they're doing everything they can to make being a tranny a trendy and cool thing for kids. It's disgusting.
>>
>>6311101
>so infrequent that statistically it doesn't exist

In order for science to be considered science, it must be correct 100% of the time. If something is right 100000000 times but is wrong once, it can't be a scientific theory.

If this is what you actually believe, just know that you are no better than those who hold their favorite religious text in the air and shout blasphemy at any who disagree.
>>
>>6311101

I wonder how many people who post shit like this are actually repressed trannies.
>>
>>6311376
anyway, why are transsexualities lumped with sexualities?
>>
>>6311541
Because according to like every prominent theory - you know, the ones which actually dubbed them to be mental illnesses - transsexuals are just extreme homos.
>>
>>6311284

>Actually, intersex births were thought to be more common than transgender people until very recently

So you're saying that's changed? What's the verdict now?
>>
>>6311078
I don't care what gender I play. They're just videogames
>>
>>6311078
I always picked female characters if prompted
Mtf
>>
>>6311101
Intersex people are actually about as common as redheads, but I don't see you saying they don't exist.
>>
T person here.

I pick whichever binary choice I think fits better thematically with the game.
>>
>>6311078

I had trouble picking between genders to play back when my dad scared the shit out of me about being a tranny. It took RuneScape's Recruitment Drive quest to get me out of that rut. Now I select female characters. I'm MtF, by the way.
>>
>>6311564
Unless trans people get lumped in with intersex people, it seems that there may be slightly more trans people per the results of surveys into our current batch of kids. We'll see how that shakes out in a few years.

Intersex conditions don't appear less common than they were, nor are they likely to become more common based on the difficulty of determining such in some cases.
>>
I'm MtF and I've always selected female. surprisingly, no one ever questioned it.
>>
File: dasit.png (457 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
dasit.png
457 KB, 500x494
>>6311388
Game developers are not trying to be scientifically correct about anything. They are reaching the widest audience, that means creating games that ask a binary gender question. They are trying to make money not a statement about gender or politics.
>>
>>6312601
>implying I was talking to op

I was talking to the person I quoted who was off topic anyways.
>>
Not really no, I picked which ever option I thought looked the coolest / had cooler customization / costumes.
>>
File: 1451118637396.jpg (96 KB, 726x960) Image search: [Google]
1451118637396.jpg
96 KB, 726x960
>>6311284
>>6311388
>>6311474
>>6312317
>actually using the intersex excuse
Some people are born deformed or with an extra bone in their body, does that mean anatomy does not exist?
>>
>>6311078
tgirl here, i useally pick the gender that makes the most sense and allows me to rp the most, so if i was playing as a barb for instance i would pick male but if i was playing as a farmer or something i might pick female, otherwise i just pick the one with the best stats
>>
>>6311376
not really... Unless you assume all of them are drag queens especially the huns. Gays had the homophile movement. It was for assimilationist white men.

Stonewall was initiated largely by trans people and the modern movement that surged from that had trans people in it ever since. If it weren't for silvia rivera, there wouldnt be much of a modern LGBT movemnt
>>
>>6311078
The only time it's ever been an issue is in Warframe because each frame is defined as male or female
Like, I want sick lightning powers, but I prefer female Warframes
>>
>>6313438
Anatomy doesn't ignore the fact it happens and rather provides explanations for abnormalities and take them into account.

You must be 18 years old to use this website.
>>
>>6311078
>non-binary
>on 4chan
I think you're looking for tumblr, friendo.
Anyway I go with whatever because I don't care, it's just a video game. If it's an RPG I'll usually come up with a character concept that could be either sex.

The way pokemon asks so directly always made me squirm as a kid, though. Fuck you professor oak
>>
when I was in the closet I picked boy because I was scared to death someone would look over my shoulder and ask why i was playing as a girl
>>
>>6315722
Explanations for intersex babies is provided you dunce.
>>
>>6311078
why wouldn't they? Surely they'd just go for the one they identify with.
>>
>>6315726
Sorry, most of the transgender stuff I know is secondhand from tumblr screencaps so my terminology is improper or unnecessary.
>>6315993
I usually just picked a girl because they were cuter.
>>
Confused boy on hormones here

I always had trouble deciding. I must've changed my runescape gender like 50 times. I always wanted to play as a girl but i was scared people would ask me why or make fun of me.

Now im older i got used to playing a boy and i just rp as like this total badass and shit, but recently i've been kinda ok with playing girls and i do it more. Its pretty good.
>>
>>6311243
to be fair, im open to non binary but many cultures view of 3rd gender is more of less just a way to define even binary transpeople
>>
>Mtf
>autistic and very weird about gender
>like girly things but thought i was supposed to be manly
>constantly ashamed
>only played with manly characters
>Deleted female saves i made so no one would find out
>>
>>6315928
Yes I'm not saying it isn't. Your argument is to remove its classification.
>>
>>6311078

selects amoeba
>>
>>6311101
I have to agree, even as a transgender I have no delusions about what I really am. In games, especially online games I always make sure to play male characters so that other people will be under no illusion about my real sex.
>>
AFAB: looks female, sounds female, has gender neutral interests... Better cut my hair short and dye it neon. Call me they.

AMAB: looks (beta) male, sounds male, has neutral interests... Since I'll never pass, just call me xir!

Fuck off with this.
>>
File: 1462696217056.png (243 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462696217056.png
243 KB, 640x480
>>6316129
>Your argument is to remove its classification.
>>
>>6316164

Wrong thread, bro.
>>
Used to always pick a guy, then when I was 8 or 9 or so, I was forced to start a new save game on an RPG on my DS, Accidentaly picked the female option, rolled with it, and always picked female by default from then on.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.