[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lgbt/ what do you think about gay characters in fictional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 17
File: file.png (414 KB, 745x413) Image search: [Google]
file.png
414 KB, 745x413
Hey /lgbt/ what do you think about gay characters in fictional media?

There's this trend today in which creators include "diverse" characters for the sole purpose of patting themselves in the back over how fucking progressive and inclusive they are, this often generates characters that feel, incomplete, undeveloped, forced. I know this didn't use to be a thing, and there was a time where people would avoid including well written well developed characters with these traits to avoid angering the entire bible belt but I think we've reached a point in which this is getting ridiculous

Take Mr Simmons from Hey Arnold for instance, we all know he was gay, but he was a great character Barttlett made you care about because he was Mr Simmons, not because he was gay. At first we didn't even get to see that trait of his persona because it wasn't something to be brought up when he interacted with the children, being the person he was taking his personal life out of his professional one. But we got to see him develop into being a man that really cared about the people around him. Then we got an expository episode where it's clearly hinted he is in a relationship with another guy, while he feels like an stranger to his own family, would the audence be gay or not this was really well written making YOU, the audience care about his life and his problems, his realistic and relatable problems.

Now lets jump almost 20 years into the future, and lets compare that case with those out of bioware characters, in which their entire existence revolves around how much they like cock, constantly rubbing it on your face so you praise Bioware writers on how progressive they are. Or look at all those progressive pandering episodes in "the simpsons". And yet people can't complain about bad writing because they get instantly labeled has homophobic.
>>
>>6279556
I'm not gay, but I hate the way gay people are portrayed in these kinds of things, it's always some stupid shit like:
>do you have the plans for the operation?
>oohhhh, you're a cutie ;)
>now isn't the time, we need to know what is going to happen
>I'm just having a little fun *winks*
It's honestly cringe worthy
>>
I love hey arnold
I'll never watch the movie though
>>
File: 097ba10a351.jpg (997 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
097ba10a351.jpg
997 KB, 2048x2048
>>6279618
>>
>>6279627
>tfw will never get stalked by helga g pataki
>>
but yeah about what you're talking about

I think it's just because more amateurs can get to larger crowds now. back when hey Arnold was made making a cartoon was a major thing. Any asshole can make a youtube and be a "journalist" or "film maker" if you know what I mean.

Don't let it get to you. No ones gonna remember the hamburger helper writer on the bioware team or the idiot that decided they needed to put a trans person into a d&d game like baludurs gate.

They will remember the Mr Simmons, the characters that actually give us reasons to feel.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 580x580
>>6279556
It's much better when they make a rounded protag who just happens To be a fag

Probably too much investment for most
>>
File: 1462128574187.jpg (60 KB, 406x640) Image search: [Google]
1462128574187.jpg
60 KB, 406x640
>>6279556
>u can be gay
>as long as i dont know ur gay
Dorian is fine as a character. Fits right in with the absurdity of the tevinter imperium. If they replaced Dorian with a woman and kept the core story the same with obvious details being replaced you wouldn't give a single fuck. You only care because you feel inconvenienced by having to acknowledge that gay men exist. Boohoo something in MY game doesn't specifically appeal to MEEEE! Grow up holy fuck.
>>
>>6279823
Tevinter really doesn't make sense considering its a Byzantine clone.

I mean Byzantine emperors like Basil I had gay lovers and even had the church consecrate their union.
>>
>>6279849
tevinter is based on the spanish though...
>>
File: image.jpg (253 KB, 800x1218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253 KB, 800x1218
>>6279856
They just seemed so Byzantine Greek in the 1st two games though...

Never bought 3 moved onto souls games desu. Liked their princes much better desu.
>>
File: don't look at the foot.jpg (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
don't look at the foot.jpg
161 KB, 1920x1080
>>6279556

Dorian doesn't really flaunt his gayness. He flirts with the player once, and you can tell him never to do it again if it triggers you.

Meme's about 'fully gay' aside, he's one of the better homos in vidya.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>6279823
>>u can be gay
>>as long as i dont know ur gay

That's no the point dumbass there was more to Mr Simmons than being gay. Being gay was yet another of his traits, like being bald, or having blond hair or being a sensitive man that enjoys poetry and literature. He had a nice starting point which was developed as the series let us know more and more about him. His character grew like real people.

>If they replaced Dorian with a woman and kept the core story the same with obvious details being replaced you wouldn't give a single fuck.

>The obvious details
Without those that would have been an irrelevant background character with no development or story.

The whitcher made a single NPC more interesting than dorian with a few lines of dialogue.

In today's world every single sentence coming out of Simmon's mouth would have had something to do with his gayness.
>>
File: 1281751642828.jpg (25 KB, 451x507) Image search: [Google]
1281751642828.jpg
25 KB, 451x507
>>6279556
>tfw EA won't just let Bioware die
Seeing a once great studio shit out such awful games is painful
>>
>>6279556
>still playing Bioware games
The last queer character of theirs I know is Zevran. Zevran was awesome. New Bioware games are shit.
>>
>>6280144
Dragon Age is "new Bioware".
>>
I think that if you are going to have characters whose sexual practices deviate from the norm, that that not become their sole defining trait, but rather one facet of the character.
>>
File: 1436885597999.png (42 KB, 592x533) Image search: [Google]
1436885597999.png
42 KB, 592x533
>>6280144
>Dragon Age Origins
>anything but boring generic shit
Fuck the fade
>>
>>6279957
Fucking christ yes, that hunter is the most memorable and realistic portrayal of a gay man in any videogame I've ever seen. In thirty seconds you learn everything you need to about him and it destroys your heart without him needing to be all "Wow you listened to my story, can I suck your dick now XD" like he would in a bioware game.
>>
>>6279938
this, maybe he's a flaming homo sterotype, but he is one of the few that are no one note sterotype, one of the best companions in the game.

vidya have few LGBT characters, but they usually are better than the TV or film ones.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 500x700
Dragon Age isn't /that/ bad, unless you come from /v/ and are so paranoid that every left of center plot line is the work of the "ESS JAY DUBYAS"

TV's much worse than vidya in regards to gay stereotypes, despite what rampant shipping and promoting of the actual Token Gay Characters by the networks. Nine times of ten the gays are either there to serve for sexuality related angst and drama or are the Gay Best Friend trope. Or they get killed after a season.

Webseries are better. Can't wait for the Internet to kill broadcast tv.
>>
i honestly think 'being 100% inclusive' will ruin the entertainment industry. like in general.
as a bi male, i feel ashamed of being represented as an obvious, flamboyant queer who's only goal is to fuck the entire football team plus the cheerleaders. i hate seeing more and more characters being the people's favorite just because they are lgbt. even if, objectively talking, the character's shit tier. but hey, he/she/whatever the fuck is between nowadays/ is gay: you can't say shit or else you're being homophobic.
as a member of the lgbt i say: please fucking stop. there's much more to a character than if he likes pussy or not. if he's asexual or not. if that's your idea about being inclusive then please just stop.
>>
File: Renly_profile.jpg (47 KB, 379x461) Image search: [Google]
Renly_profile.jpg
47 KB, 379x461
>>
>>6279556
Dorian was actually written by a gay man, who has written several of the other romances in the series and has been the backbone of the DA series before he left this past year ;^)
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 480x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 480x306
Was he gay
>>
File: vivian.png (11 KB, 135x162) Image search: [Google]
vivian.png
11 KB, 135x162
Pic is my favorite LGBT character from media.
>>
File: 21463954325442.webm (350 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
21463954325442.webm
350 KB, 640x360
Whether it's explicit or through strong undertones, it seems like every western cartoon is cashing in big on lesbianism. The Power Puff Girls reboot, 9/10 characters on Steven Universe have symbolic lesbian sex (fusion dance) on a kids' show, Princess Bubblegum x Margarine from Adventure Time, Korra x Assami from The Legend of Korra, Elsa x Anna from Frozen, Harley Quinn x Poison Ivy from Batman, Kate Kane as Batwoman, etc.
>>
>>6279556
pic related is my favourite representation of gays in the media (Pirates of the Caribbean)
>>
>>6280144
zevran was literally the embodiment of the slutty bisexual trope. how progressive.

the thing is: game/book/tv/movies creators should just stop making "gay characters". just, stop. they have to make characters, and oh, instead of straight some of them happen to be gay. no big fucking deal.
>>
>>6284163
wow, the remake is pure shit and ugly as hell.

yes, using lesbians you can pander to girls who like girls and don't upset dudebros who believe "lesbians are sexy" and "they secretly want my dick", so is a win-win situation, also, christcucks don't hate lesbians so much compared to gay men or men who like men.
>>
>>6284038
he is just a faggot.
>>
>>6284163
I hate that show with every fibre of my being.

So they decide they want lesbians because it's the trend and they pick the tomboyish one. And then they make her - a kindegartener - get kissed by an adult.

They messed up their progressive pandering so badly.
>>
>>6284514
>>6284538

Goddamnit. GOD-DAMN-FUCKING SHIT. FUCK.

Whoever made this needs to be murdered and raped by alligators.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.