[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if transgenderism is not a mental illness, but gender dysphoria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: McAfee.jpg (49 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
McAfee.jpg
49 KB, 620x413
So if transgenderism is not a mental illness, but gender dysphoria is, and people are transgendered because of gender dysphoria, how are transgendered not mentally ill again?
>>
>>6268128

People suffer from gender dysphoria as a result of two conditions that must be met:

1. are transgender (biological sex and gender identity are not in agreement)
2. their body as it is in that moment does not conform to their gender identity, and being prevented from bringing it into alignment exacerbates the resulting dysphoria

So gender dysphoria comes as a possible result of being transgender.
>>
Gender dysphoria is a mental illness cause by the inside not matching the outside. Transsexualism is the cure by making the outside match the inside.
>>
>>6268128
McAfee 2016.

"mental illness" is arbitrary. It doesn't matter whether it is or isn't, but what can be done to treat it. Also mental illnesses must impair some ones life: Dysphoria may do that but simply being trans doesn't.
>>
>>6268210

>inb4 "but you can't have kids"
>>
>>6268128
Gender dysphoria is probably the only mental illness whose best treatment is acceptance and transition.
>>
>>6268128
it's just a meme developed by trannies so they can further stigmatize "mental illness" and feel better than somebody
>>
>>6268220
Technically speaking, being unable to reproduce is the third highest caliber of any disease, preceded only by permanent impairment to the point of incapacity and death. Sure it doesn't matter to a lot of people, but from a scientific perspective it's catastrophic.
>>
>>6268250
>Sure it doesn't matter to a lot of people, but from a scientific perspective it's catastrophic

Are NEETs - users of /r9k/ and /pol/ severely mentally ill and a detriment then?
>>
>>6268260
Absolutely
>>
>>6268260
NEET actually has a meaning you know...
>>
>>6268260
Yes, in fact a great deal of modern culture is actually genetically catastrophic. Modern medicine has ruined the gene pool and negated thousands of years of natural selection. There are many fantastic scientific papers and books written by people better than I, you can find many of them on Amazon or Google Scholar for free.
>>
>>6268556
>There are many fantastic scientific papers and books written by people better than I,

Speak for yourself faggot.

I have degrees in Economics, Philosophy and Political Science.
>>
>>6268128
Please show source for it being described as a mental illness by an official body in modern times
>>
>>6268581
I was speaking for myself. That is why I said better than I rather than better than us.
As a tangent, what field necessitates those degrees? Seems like an odd combination.
>>
>>6268592
>As a tangent, what field necessitates those degrees? Seems like an odd combination.

An understanding of all three of those fields is highly necessary for jobs in Government and Social/Fiscal policy making.
>>
>>6268128
Gender dysphoria isn't a mental illness.
It's a perfectly normal reaction to the circumstances.

You aren't mentally ill because you get depressed, due to legitimate circumstances.
>>
>>6268589
Is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (2013) sufficient? Gender dysphoria, and all other dysphorias, are mental illnesses just like post-traumatic stress disorder. There's an internet meme about it if that is a better reference in your opinion.
>>
File: costanza_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
costanza_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>6268606
>it is not a mental illness to think you are a different gender than the one you are born with and have to take hormones or get operations to fulfill the delusions in your head despite never being able to give birth to a child or have a functioning female productive system

I'm not sure I can agree
>>
>>6268618
>look at me mom
>I'm le epic trole xD
>>
>>6268600
Would you consider political science to be a specialization for government level work, or a necessary aspect of any fiscal policy management?
>>
File: troll obvious 1.jpg (50 KB, 437x400) Image search: [Google]
troll obvious 1.jpg
50 KB, 437x400
Why do people reply to obvious troll threads?
>>
>>6268128
We are mentally ill. Any of my fellow trannies who does not know or accept this are completely delusional. How the fuck can you be someone born into a males body and not want to be a male THIS BAD and consider yourself to be anything other than mentally ill?

This shit is very obviously not what should be happening to the typical person who is born male. Something got fucked up somewhere along the line, most likely in the womb. It's not our fault we're like this, but we are like this nonetheless, and it means we are mentally ill.

The thing is, though, that being a tranny and bringing our appearance more in line with the opposite sex is the best we can do to feel normal and have a good life, at the current time with what is available to us.

If I had been offered a pill that'd make me love my body as it was, before I took hormones, I would have taken it. I tried everything though. I took hormones as my last resort, luckily it's made me feel much better and I now get to lead a pretty normal life, relative to what I would have had (i.e. constant depression and loathing and hatred)
>>
>>6268627
How am I trolling?

It is quite literally a mental illness, I don't see how you could possibly disagree, there's no other way to describe it, without even going into the science of it all.
>>
>>6268628
Political science is nothing but a bastardized and mentally retarded offshoot of the history field.

Political science is nothing but dumbed down SJW-ized history.

t. history degree holder who, in uni, never studied or paid any attention in any political science class yet aced every single test and assignment because my understanding of history made me vastly more qualified at speaking about the topics than anyone in the class
>>
>>6268628
>Would you consider political science to be a specialization for government level work, or a necessary aspect of any fiscal policy management?

A background in it is quite helpful, you can't really come up with any sort of policy without understanding all the backgrounds, that's partly why I think Democracy is severely flawed, we have people voting who don't have any sort of background in any of those fields and thus they cannot come to a rational conclusion about politics
>>
File: 1455265249520.gif (550 KB, 728x720) Image search: [Google]
1455265249520.gif
550 KB, 728x720
>>6268635
w-wanna be my gf?
>>
>>6268730

Not them, but who are you?
>>
>>6268730
I'm already taken ;-; sorry

Also it's by another tranny who is realistic about it :DDD
>>
>>6268743
just a useless tranny who feels the same way

>>6268751
fucking figures
>>
>>6268556
muh modern day has ruined natural selection
>>
I'm a tranny and I do believe that being transgender is a mental illness, but tumblrinas like to say that it's perfectly normal. It isn't. I can't reverse the fact that I'm mentally a dude and physically female. All I can really do is get therapy and go on testosterone because fighting that mental illness is worse than giving into it considering you're gonna be miserable if you try to reverse it. Speaking from experience here
>>
There is no such thing as gender dysphoria, it's a made up term by ignorant conservatives. The sad part is they have been pushing it so much that some people actually believe it exists.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>6269632

t. nonbinary, otherkin, demisexual, pansexual, genderfuck thinker and activist
>>
>>6268220
>Newsflash: Infertility is now considered a mental illness. Just follow this anon's logic
>>
>>6269850
isn't the sole purpose of every species to reproduce?
>>
>>6268128
Yes
>>
>>6268128
In the same way autists like you aren't mentally ill :^)
>>
>>6268612
You're one of the reasons the average layman should stay the fuck away from psych and neurology research, hth
>>
>>6270059
Ok, now explain how a physical malady such as infertility should be classified as a mental illness.
>>
File: 1451349561859.jpg (107 KB, 640x756) Image search: [Google]
1451349561859.jpg
107 KB, 640x756
>>6268128
Transexualism being a mental illness is just semantics, whether it is or isn't the only way to relieve the chronic pain and depression caused by dysphoria is to transition.

>pimozide
basically a lobotomy pill, and it was only tested on one person

The reason trannies don't want it to be considered a mental illness is because it's insulting and it gives the wrong impression about us. imo, being anything but cishet is probably a mental illness, but it's not like its a huge deal; Being LGBT doesn't exactly interfere with anyone else.
>>
>>6268128

Male and female brains differ. Intersex conditions exist. There is no argument about these facts. The argument only appears when you say that an intersex condition could affect the brain.

If someone being born with a female-gendered brain but a male-gendered body means that person has a mental illness, then the definition of mental illness being used is very broad.
>>
>>6268128
I'd say it's a mental illness, if developmental disorders apply to that label too, with transition being the only working treatment.
>>
>>6270360
i love that her boyfriend is visibly gay
>>
>>6268128
They are
>>
>>6269799
"Dysphoria doesn't exist" is a terf thing.

>>6269632
>muh conservatives love trannies maymay
In that case why are you always hand in hand with the worst of the right, thinking attacks on trannies aren't attacks on gender variance?

Get fucked, Lysistrata
>>
>>6269595
>published psych research is tumblr
>look at me I'm a special snowflake, I hate myself as much as morons on /pol/ do, do I fit in yet
>>
>>6270381
>t. insecure, overcompensating masc4masc
These kids are his
>>
>>6270381
I think hes bi and they were together before she transitioned.
>>
>>6270381

I heard he's actually bi, but yeah, it is visible.
>>
>>6270398

There are also people who claim to be trans, who simultaneously claim you do not need dysphoria to be trans. One gay guy here actually made a thread about a
16 year old tranny (who started self-medding HRT at 15) in their LGBT support group who claimed they don't think dysphoria is real at all and just trumped up by other trans people to gain legitimacy. He said his only motive for transitioning was to be cute.
>>
>>6270360
Having a mental illness isn't insulting you fucking shithead
>>
>>6268260
That's not what NEET means.
>>
>>6270059
Only if you have less imagination than a protozoa.
>>
>>6270059
Are we each unto ourselves an entire species? its again, entirely possible for you to pass on your recessive lesbian genes to someone else because that lesbian sister of yours helped you get laid by not being much competition, yet still contributed to your life-security. furthermore, breeding is not always the best option. the fact that I need to explain this to you makes me want to strangle you. we have 7 fucking billion people on this planet, and finite resources. now how would being incapable of procreation help ameliorate this issue?
>>
File: 1451550269530.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1451550269530.gif
1 MB, 300x225
I've said many a time on craigs list "rant and raves"
toronto chapter (2009-2012) that trangender isim is a kink, and was shot down before consideration.

I dont think anyone is happy with there bodies. they just accept it in apathy which is a coping mechanism. So, trans people are not aware that their kink is a kink and by normalacy just accept their situation and because they dont they go that extra step same as kink fetish people do and satisfy their situation. normal people acept it
>>
>>6271181
There's still a social stigma around mental illness. Being called mentally ill isn't exactly nice.
>>
>>6271658
And we shouldn't be encouraging that stigma
>>
>>6268128
>So if transgenderism is not a mental illness
>if
wew lad.
>>
>>6271191
That's not what it means, but there's a massive overlap.
>>
File: 1336175854622.jpg (698 KB, 700x1080) Image search: [Google]
1336175854622.jpg
698 KB, 700x1080
Transgender is a mental illness. It also has a high co-morbidity with other mental illnesses such as BPD, narcissistic personality, behavioral addiction, avoidant personality, and even autism spectrum. People feel insulted by the term "mental illness" but they shouldn't - if you have a mental illness, you have a mental illness, it's not an insult. That's be like saying "you have cancer" is an insult.

Treating a mental illness with physical body modification is colluding with delusion and should be considered malpractice, however the medical industry stands to gain tons of $$$ from trans people in particular so in this case they break their oath not to do harm.

Anticonvulsant medications are showing promise as a possible treatment to transsexualism.
>>
>>6272564
why are you trying to take my hormones away reeeeee
>>
The thing is that the majority of people that argue it is a mental illness frequently use that label to delegitimize trans identities and pathologize gender nonconforming behavior. They use it as a blanket ad-hominem attack to keep people from taking us seriously and actually listening to our concerns. They also love to use it as an insult too, which is indicative to just how disingenuous they are. This only makes them look like bigoted morons that are actively working to stigmatize and limit the rights and agency of not only transgender people, but other human beings that happen to have mental health problems.

Being mentally Ill does not mean you're inherently delusional or crazy. And being abnormal doesn't mean you're broken or inferior, it just means you're different. Both cis and trans people need to get that through their thick ass skulls. Trans identities are legitimate and should be as respected as cis people's identities, but gender dysphoria is a mental health problem. Dysphoria is simply just a state of intense emotional distress and pain, it shouldn't be compared to delusions or antisocial behavior in such a crude and derogatory fashion when it is only vaguely comparable to those conditions, at best.
>>
>>6272564
the amount of money that they would get out of trans people is incredibly small in comparison if you make actual numbers; that part of your argument just doesn't hold up.
>>
>however the medical industry stands to gain tons of $$$ from trans people in particular so in this case they break their oath not to do harm
>IT'S A CONSPIRACY BY BIG PHARMA!
Interesting idea but the costs of transition are actually quite small in the big picture of healthcare costs and trannnies are such a small minority that it hardly justifies the level of conspiracy you'd have to imagine to disregard all the available research and assume that the supposedly obvious truth is being suppressed. The medications are already widely used in other treatments for cis people and are relatively cheap, the surgeries are one-time and likewise relatively cheap. Trannies have trouble affording transition not from it being particularly expensive but from political manipulations creating an exception of it not being covered by insurance and a lack of employment discrimination protections making it difficult for trannies to afford anything.

If you we're really basing medical policy on what will wring the most money out of people you'd be better off throwing ineffective and expensive therapies and medications at trannies one after another till they kill themselves or even institutionalise them for extra government money.
>>
>>6272917
Meant for >>6272564, obviously.
>>
>>6268128
It's a mental illness OP. People who study transgender always leave people out who reverse their transition or quit it, and go on to live normal pre-transition lives. They're not transgender so they don't count. Trans people who kill themselves never do it because of their transition. Even when they say they do. It's a political consensus that's not interested in helping people. Be careful OP.
>>
>>6272917
It's not Big Pharma that supports it it's the fake sciences like social psychology. Transgenderism for them is a way to take over their academic niches and associated marketing and social engineering jobs.
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>6273296
Is neurology also "fake science"?
>>
>>6272917
>it's such a small niche it can't possibly make that much money
Maybe it doesn't in comparison to other things but transgenderism is exploding right now, it's easy as pie just convince emotionally vulnerable sexually confused young people that they'd be better off as the other sex and they need to get some organs removed and BAM, you have patients FOR LIFE. Hormones may not cost much (testosterone actually sells for quite a bit) but you get people hooked literally for life, so why not? Just plant a couple of quack gender therapists in each major city and give them a little kickback and its easy peasy. Then all the quack surgeons come out of the woodwork peddling their hackjobs and there you go, they all group together and recommend one another and got a nice little racket going.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.