[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
civil discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: popcorn.gif (489 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
489 KB, 420x315
gender is
a.)social construct
b.)genetic/biological
c.)all of the above

discuss what you think.
keep it somewhat civil please.
>>
>>6183771
b
>>
>>6183771
Gender is determined by B but it's expression may be modulated by A although not as much as most think. That's the answer.
>>
>>6183771
Gender is influenced by both your biological sex and your social environment.
>>
Gender is biological. Gender rolls are constructs by society based somewhat on biology.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>6183831
mmmm... gender rolls.
>>
B. Gender is used to determine the sex of a person. Penis = Boy Vagina = girl. Its pretty simple. And what I don't understand is how you identify as another gender. For example, if you are a girl how can you identify as a boy if you don't even know how it is to be a boy. And you don't even have a penis. Then there is people that change their gender/sex (Same thing) That option shouldn't even be a option to the public. What you are born with is what you get. Survival of the fittest. But in recent years survival of the fittest doesn't exist anymore. Instead we are going out of our way and catering to this "community" to make them feel welcome in society, because they get all emotional and sensitive to the subject if it is against them. They are not the fittest they are the weakest. I said this in the most civil way I could.
>>
Some people don't know the difference between sex and gender.
>>
>>6183954
They go great with some genderfluid
>>
>>6183771
Gender roles are socially constructed, but that is not necessary a bad thing.
Gender is in your head, and sometimes it doesn't correspond to your sex.
>>
>>6186884
/thread
>>
>>6183771
Gender identity is biological
Gender presentation is a social construct
Sex is genetic
>>
>>6184067

do you really think opposite sexes have no way of knowing anything about what it's like to live as the other? and how exactly does society cater and go out of the way to help transgender people?
>>
>>6183771

C

Biological; genitalia, skin, hair, bone structure, fat distribution, etc.

Social constructs; clothing, mannerisms, makeup, scents, etc etc.
>>
>>6183771
The distinction is irrelevant. Social construction doesn't make something not real.
Being born to a ethnic Jewish mother or raised Jewish makes you a Jew. Late converts are not regarded as genuine Jews. Deal with it. Exactly the same argument applies to gender.

Unless you are raised from birth as the gender dscongruent to your genitals, you're not a genuine example of that gender.
This has nothing to do with your brain, nothing to do with whether you pass or how you feel, it's based on cultural linguistic practices and life history that is out of your control. Transwomen may not be men anymore but they're not 100% women.
>>
Gender is a meme.
>>
gender is a social construct, but so are traffic lights, and if you try to ignore either of them you're gonna get hit by a truck
>>
Gender and sex are biological, while gender identity and everything associated with it are social constructs.
>>
Gender is tribe identity drivel born of a society which offers little options to identify with as a part of a community
>>
Gender is a social construct although often but not always coincides with a person's sex
Sex is biological and although most people's genders and sex match they aren't always the same
>>
>>6183771
I don't want a choice in this. I just want an authority to tell me what to do and how to cure me
>>
>>6189780
There are plenty of countries that do that already. Pick one.
>>
Why the fuck is this new generation of children making such radical decisions with their lives when they haven't even experienced life yet. 90% will eventually grow the fuck up and realize how ridiculous shameful they were. Your not special, get the fuck over yourself and your Internet influence
>>
>>6183771
If humans create society, then it is an expression of our DNA, therefore it has to be genetics, plain and simple.
>>
A social construct, inherent, biological, a grammatical construct, and also a verb.

These are all contradictory, but that's words for you.
>>
Gender is a social construct but determined by your sex. Gender doesn't really exist, it's just gender roles - but sex is factual and unchangeable (not just your genitalia, but your entire reproductive system.)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.