[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are all gay characters such fags? Why aren't gay men
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 19
File: tituss.jpg (418 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
tituss.jpg
418 KB, 2000x1333
Why are all gay characters such fags? Why aren't gay men writing us a gay Ironman instead of this shit?
>>
>>5925725
because superhero movies' audience are straight men not fags.
>>
File: 1457709373689.gif (768 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
1457709373689.gif
768 KB, 500x340
>>5925725
Because it's aimed and written by straight people, and they need something to laugh about
>>
There are some masculine gay characters (that one character from Brooklyn Nine Nine)
>>
because you're reading and watching capeshit
>>
Anytime there is a gay character who doesn't act stereotypically straight, straight people always complain and say, "Why even make them gay?" and claim it's just pandering to SJWs. Like, do these people not realize how homophobic they are?
>>
>>5925743
this

if you watch garbage you'll get garbage
It's not as if there aren't good gay characters or bad straight characters. Faggy gay shit characters will always be there as long as people watch movies about straight dumb jocks trying to get laid at a party
>>
>>5925768
This.

Also there are people who get really uncomfortable if they don't immediately recognize when someone is gay.
>>
>>5925725
Who the fuck leaked all this tumblr shit on lgbt recently. Every other thread is hurr durr Muslims are cool, Christians are evil, why are ther not enough sodomites in movies, how are you fighting muh global warming hoax. Fuck off and quit spamming.
>>
>>5925725
Because it's true and you know it
Masculine gay men cannot exist by definition
>>
>>5925856
There are like five anti-Islam threads up right now lol
>>
>>5925725
Because straight people don't know how to write gay characters.
>>
Because gays in the entertainment industry tend to be quite flamboyant, and you write what you know?

It's also just not true. Maybe seek out something other than what /tv/ hypes and DashCon types fap to.
>>
>>5925856
>sodomites
I love this word so much.

Can japanese moot change the board name to /sod/?
>>
>>5926070
that's very othering, bro
>>
File: tmp_2005-1458639221042792455556.jpg (914 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2005-1458639221042792455556.jpg
914 KB, 1600x900
>>5926070
really, /sod/ should be a new board. leave /LGBT/ to the trannys and their hangers-on.
>>
>>5926154
/sod/ - Western Philosophy

I like it.
>>
>>5925725
The gay guy from happy ending was not written as a fag.
>>
>>5926181
he was a beta
>>
>>5925780
>people who get really uncomfortable if they don't immediately recognize when someone is gay.

>lets spare poor breeduh feels
>>
File: the-wire-michael-k-williams-1.jpg (184 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
the-wire-michael-k-williams-1.jpg
184 KB, 1024x576
>>5925725
>Why are all gay characters such fags?

The fuck you say nigga?
>>
>>5925725
>itt gay people are offended by a few gay characters here and there
>claim to have it soooo hard
>literally every trans person in anything isnt Stefonknyee or mrs doubtfire or a dragqueen
>>
File: 14329422.jpg (320 KB, 680x779) Image search: [Google]
14329422.jpg
320 KB, 680x779
>>5928165
There have been a couple of at least decent trans characters lately, actually.
>>
>>5928138
This. There's a ton of variety in gay male characters. Sounds like OP is just mad that flamers exist or some other stupid, judgemental shit.

>>5928181
That better not be the ultra-political turbohon from Sens8.
>>
>>5925725
>Why aren't gay men writing us a gay Ironman instead of this shit?
Because writers can only piss off straight comic nerd so much before they can show off how progressive they are with the most obvious gay character. Unless it's owned by disney, they're not going to make a main hero gay, unless he was already gay or it's a cliche af strong woman version. They'll only culturally appropriate so far.
>>
>>5926154
>>5926173
lol you people would do anything if it references christianity, even if it's bad for you like choosing islam over it.
>>
>>5928238
>>5928181
I wonder how many people have blogged about her casting being inappropriate because shes not actually trans lol
>>
>>5926372
>people who get really uncomfortable if they don't immediately recognize when someone is gay.
>lets spare poor breeduh feels
You obviously don't understand marketing and making a profit. An exclusive gay audience that wants to see gay characters is such a niche market that will garner very little profit if any. If you do find a movie that has positive gay characters in it (that aren't for comedic relief) it will most likely be very low budget an independent.
>>
>>5928271
The fuck are you talking about? As if her voice and profile didn't give it away, Jamie Clayton is a(n in)famous trans actor. And her speeches are the most gag-inducing, pandering shit ever.
>>
>>5928138
Characters like Omar (and kima) are in the minority, though. It would be nice to look at mainstream media and have a good roster of lgbt characters that aren't campy idiots that are only there for diversity points or as a punchline.
>>
File: 1456540748797.gif (1 MB, 460x230) Image search: [Google]
1456540748797.gif
1 MB, 460x230
Why does sexuality have to matter, why can't it just be some normal guy who is gay rather than the "MMMM OH HONEY, NOW MMMHMM YOU DONT WANNA DO THAT, DON TEST ME HO" like cmon
>>
File: 1456238028771.jpg (25 KB, 427x599) Image search: [Google]
1456238028771.jpg
25 KB, 427x599
>>5925860
>tfw dont exist
>>
>>5925725
>black
>gay
>fat
>fem
All he needs is to be trans and disabled and he'd be tumblr: the character
>>
You guys are all a mess! It's clearly women. Women LOVE pretending that they give a fuck about gay right's, but they don't. They don't. There's something wrong in this country. I hear people all the time, and they say 'Anon, there's something wrong with this country.' Imagine that. And they're right--women. Women! We can be PC about it, but when wombs send their people, half the time they're not sending their best.
>>
>>5929076
i like /lgbt/'s /pol/ side
>>
>>5928269
I'm seriously mystified by this post.
>>
>>5925725
There are plenty of manly gay characters. You can goolgle below tv-series
Happy Endings
Night Shift
Hit the Floor
Kingdom
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 850x565
Because the masculine gays are busy writing books about tribalism and hanging out with white nationalists.
>>
>>5929315
Even though white nationalists hate gays? Sounds like BS.
>>
>>5929610
That's the irony. Though really white nationalism is a big tent issue and a lot of people really don't care about anything as long as you want to preserve the white race. He gets shit on for being gay but he's still a big and respected name in the movement.

White Nationalists are actually surprisingly tolerant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rhCJdteJI
>>
>>5928998
You just think you're masculine
>>
>>5929315
He's such a try hard. You can tell he binge watches golden girls marathons like the rest of the mathc4mathc crowd in mathcgen
>>
>>5928998
they exist in japan and anime.
>>
File: Paul-e1435096879450.jpg (27 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
Paul-e1435096879450.jpg
27 KB, 650x365
>>5925725
>>
>>5928849

this is true of course but it's also a ridiculous thing to focus on

it's like you are going to Walmart and speculating about how nice a hangout the place would be if they replaced the in-store McDonald's with an in-store high class fancy French restaurant or something--it'd still be a giant sprawling craphole with some useful things scattered around it, even if one small piece of it were improved

notice also that on The Wire there were actually fat people and ugly people like in real life, and some of them were awesome, like in real life; and also pretty people like McNulty were standouts and were in the minority, like in real life, and they actually got crapped on occasionally because of it, as in real life (like when that political lady uses McNulty for sex)

and also there were loads of black people like in real life, and they were just regular people, like in real life

these things put together are a much, much bigger deal than Omar, Kima, and Rawls being respectable gays, yet /lgbt/ won't care about them because it's not A Gay Issue

that's just silliness
>>
>>5925731

no it's because it's aimed at people with ordinary preferences (for simplistic stories) and written by people with ordinary preferences (for money and prestige), and thus it must be mostly garbage

all the other characters in something like that are likely to be weak too
>>
Because it's entertainment media.

Real life is very complex because there are no main characters, everyone is their own protagonist and everyone has many years of character development.

There is an idea in film making that "If you're going to have a gun on the wall, someone better use it." If the story calls of a gay character it must be painfully obvious for the audience that he is gay right off the bat, unless the subtlety of their sexual preference is used in the story.
>>
Its hard to sell being gay as something masculine. Not many people would take a batman who takes cocks up the ass seriously.
>>
>>5935144
>a batman who takes cocks up the ass
What is Midnighter.

Still, I get it. LGBT characters are often secondary rather than primary characters. Shit, I know who Midnighter is but I've never read one of his comics before.
>>
>>5925725
Wait a goddamn minute, is that the same actor as D'fwan from 30 Rock? Love that guy! He's really funny!

But to answer your question it's because we need gay writers/a society that will watch shows with properly written characters who happen to be gay. Personally, I like the show Please Like Me. I have no idea if that show is hated here, I rarely post on this board so please go easy on me.
>>
>>5925725
?What do you mean, captain america is clearly gay.
>Im pretty sure tony stark is at least bi
>Batmans clearly asexual. How does he not tap catwoman?!
and spiderman is obviously FtM trans
>>
>>5929315
look at those eyes
serious case of gay face
>>
File: tumblr_ndgax0lLc41tfjcfro1_400.gif (218 KB, 331x274) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndgax0lLc41tfjcfro1_400.gif
218 KB, 331x274
>>5941136
Stucky is a (glorious) thing, but I really doubt the rest of you said.
>>
>>5925725
There's not faggy written gay characters but you just don't remember them as much as the super faggy characters so when you think "gay characters" you mind goes to the faggiest ones ignoring the normal non faggy ones.

>>5925780
>>5925768
pic related, you should see how assblasted /tv/ is over this guy being a homo. So much backlash they've downplayed it huge since the reveal.
>>
>>5925725
Spartacus has the manliest gay men with sex scenes and in the end a gay couple don't actually die so that shit's rad.
>>
File: 1454297293864.jpg (74 KB, 1020x759) Image search: [Google]
1454297293864.jpg
74 KB, 1020x759
>>5925725
I thought Titus was a cool gay guy

usually the gay guy stereotype if that you're all clean and well dressed and smart and tidy

and you got this guy who's messy and gross and dumb and falls asleep eating hot pockets.

He's breaking barriers that you queers are too afraid to do yourselves.
>>
File: f6884a62cf.jpg (71 KB, 780x436) Image search: [Google]
f6884a62cf.jpg
71 KB, 780x436
tv shows with cool gay characters(not specifically masculine)

american crime season 2
htgawm
game of thrones (oberyn, renly)
sense8
political animals
happy endings
mr. robot
black sails
house of cards
six feet under
the wire
shameless
teen wolf
Masters of sex
southland
spartacus
Warehouse 13
portlandia
The walking dead(aaron, jesus)
The night shift
penny dreadful
orphan black
Hit the floor
Dracula
The following
Nashville
Revenge
Gcb
Necessary roughness
Downtown abbey
Greek
Mad man
Torchwood
Dexter
oz
true detective season 2
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
the flash (captain singh, pied piper)
grace and frankie
outlander
faking it
the mccarthys
the office
cucumber
banana
chozen
a place to call home
london spy
cuffs
kingdom
in the flesh
deutchland 83
life in squares
oyevitne
Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar
addicted aka heroin
>>
>>5941341
>knowing this many TV shows
>>
File: 393923.gif (901 KB, 245x137) Image search: [Google]
393923.gif
901 KB, 245x137
>>5941341
House of Cards doesn't really have gay characters. There's this gay scene but it's kinda meant as this is an evil power hungry couple that can only be sexually satisfied with deviant degenerate poly sex acts. Good show and all but not really any kind of representation.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (90 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
90 KB, 1920x1080
>>5941358
i write articles for a gay mag and have basically no life outside of it.
>>
>>5941385
no frank had gay relationships with his college buddy and edward meechum was supposed to be gay therefore he left marine. also frank is actually bisexual.
>>
>>5941412
>bi character
who gives a shit desu
>>
>>5941341
God I miss Southland. Amazing show.

Unironically enjoyed Cuffs as well but don't think they'll bring it back as it got panned. Big fan of Shane from Faking It too.
>>
>>5941396
Get a life famalam
>>
>>5941412
I get that he's bi but it's very vague and much of his sexuality is tied into him being a power hungry asshole so eh. Like his college buddy is hinted so small nobody even notices except possibly shippers of that kinda shit. Meechum fucks with claire too so he's as bi as frank, the marine thing might hav helped make him more gay if that shit ever got story time at all but nope nothing. They made it seem like writerfag was gonna be a more explicit meechum kinda fuckery where frank would have him but nah he ended up with claire and it seems now franks sexuality is just dead. But even when it seemed frank would go with writerfuckboy that whole scene was more about power than anything.

Frank explicitly states sex is about power for him. He has more of a psychopath/sociopath view of sex where it's just about release or power.

Which isn't bad or whatever. I just don't see that as gay character.
>>
>>5941436
i too liked cuffs and the lead gay was hot as fuck
tho it was like a wild dream of /pol/ with a gay, a lesbian, a strong black man , a fat incapable white man on the team and a cheater straight white boss. they also had a muslim chickk and racists commiting hate crimes against muslims

also friendship between shane and the straight guy on that show is amazing
>>
File: RtFetr7.jpg (194 KB, 1240x827) Image search: [Google]
RtFetr7.jpg
194 KB, 1240x827
>>5941462
any kind of male bisexual representation is worthwhile
>>
>>5941471
Also Cuffs was set in Brighton as well. I would have watched a second series, I doubt even someone like Amazon Prime or Netflix would pick it up though. Shame.

Shane and Liam's friendship is great, given the development as the show has gone on I like it just as much as Karmy.
>>
>>5925725

because all the masc ones are closeted

literally have not met an openly masculine gay dude, they've all been effeminate
>>
>>5941508
i suggest you to watch london spy, sirens and in the flesh. you will probably like it
>>
>>5941555
Thanks, I will check those out, I remember reading about London Spy and it got great reviews but never got round to watching it.
>>
File: landscape-1433956938-omar.jpg (71 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
landscape-1433956938-omar.jpg
71 KB, 980x490
Omar from The Wire is fucking badass
>>
>>5941537
rather then closeted say "not proclaiming their sexuality the moment you meet them"
>>
>>5925725

List of gay (cismale) characters off the top of my head, since I watch too much TV

>Nathan and Bryan: The 100
>Captain Singh: The Flash
>Mason: Teen Wolf
>Duke: Faking It
>Connor and Aiden: How to Get Away With Murder
>Dr. Price: Hemlock Grove
> Lito and Hernando: Sense8
>Jamal and Michael: Empire
>Cyrus: Scandal
>Will Drake: AHS Hotel

Honorable mentions

>Various gay/bi moments in multiple seasons of American Horror Story
>Agent Clements: The Family (Briefly mentions a husband)
>Flint: Black Sails

Aaaand that's mostly stuff I've seen without specifically looking for it. I've seen other gay characters of course (the more feminine type) and countless queer women as well, which is where my tastes lean. But here's a list, to show you they exist, at least. Some of them are main characters, and some of them are side characters, but none of them are the 'Glee' type, nor do their storylines revolve around their sexuality, although it's more prominent in some stories than others.
>>
>>5941152
>posts tumblr.gif
>mockery of tumblr goes over poster's head
I'm amused
>>
>>5925725
ever watched sense 8? I swear everyones gay in that but not a fag.

its literelly made for /lgbt/
>>
File: pointing finger reaction.gif (48 KB, 286x200) Image search: [Google]
pointing finger reaction.gif
48 KB, 286x200
>>5941733
I totally forgot about his gay ass. Dude was a stone cold killer. good call, dude
>>
Because if the character was normal they would just make the character straight and being gay would be irrelevant.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yttOfIvOw
>>
>>5925725
because that is what 99% of gay people are like
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.