[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Great Wall of BigPharma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Broke af MtF here. Been in transition for almost 2 years.
Several days ago I went to the pharmacy to get my estradiol refilled, and the lady at the counter informs me there was a price increase. It DOUBLED in price. I burst into tears and told the lady to hold it for me while I scrape up the cash.

It's been almost a week and I still haven't been back there.

I began contemplating suicide at first. End the suffering, the self hate, escape from knowing I'll never truly be a real girl. A few days later and I got over that, but then I started looking into methods of DIY castration. I read about people who've injected alcohol into the testes with a syringe (OW fuck that) There were other's who outright cut the sack open and snipped them out (WHAT THE F) ans another method which I ended up attempting. I took an elastic hair tie and wrapped it around my balls a few times in attempt to cut off the circulation in hopes that they'd die. About a half hour into it I had to take it off because the pain of the skin being pinched was too much. The blood flow was unaffected.

To be doing this says something; I'm either losing my mind or just getting this desperate.

CONT~
>>
~CONT

I have to find a way to get my HRT back. I looked into online "pharmacies" and the prices there are about the same as what I would be paying anyway, so that's out.The only option I can think of would be to get my insurance to cover it. I have to find alternative uses of these pills that would apply to me, which my insurance company would cover. My insurance will absolutely NOT cover a single cent of medications being used for HRT.

Currently I am only on one medication. I'm taking Cimetidine (an antacid) to block testosterne. My insurance company covers this pill if being used for Acid Reflux. Unfortunately it's weak af and I need an upgrade.

My research so far has taught me that I can get Finn and Spiro covered by insurance if it is being used to treat hair loss. I do have thinning hair, but it's due to hypothyroidism. I'm currently taking a thyroid medication, so IDK if I can get it for that reason.
The only reason for getting Estradiol I have found so far would be for prostate issues. I don't have any prostate issues whatsoever, so that's out the window.

WHAT DO I DO
>>
Alright, let's start with where you're from. Given it's an insurance issue, I'm going to assume it's the US or Canada. I have a list of resources covering places with cheap prescription prices for no insurance, if you let me know you're state, I'll see what I can do to help.
>>
>>5899170

>My insurance will absolutely NOT cover a single cent of medications being used for HRT.

Have you tried? Apparently they can't really prevent someone from getting a medication if it's covered by the plan, even if it's for some unrelated condition. Not sure if that's true but I saw it said here before.

There was a legit pharmacy (charity) out somewhere in the midwest that sends out 180 day supplies of medications for $20 each. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure "rx" was part of it. Estradiol and spironolactone were on the list of medications they had.
>>
>>5899202
Actually, insurance companies can turn down coverage for drugs being used for 'off label' purposes, that's true. But assuming our girl here is in the US, she definitely has options.
>>
Walgreens prescription drug card. It's $20 a year, and my HRT is like $30 something a month. 150mg Spiro and 6mg Estradiol, both pills.
>>
>>5899208

That would be for larger-cost items like lupron, wouldn't it? Would they bother with something small like estrogen pills?
>>
>>5899218
They certainly can crack down on it with any medication, and certain insurance plans (particularly those with very religious members on their boards) can be quite tough about it.
>>
>>5899170
you can't get finasteride covered by insurance for hair loss. i asked my doctor to let me split 5mg pills for this reason.
the site >>5899202 is talking about is http://rxoutreach.org/
>>
>>5899200
US, MI

>>5899202
Of course I tried, that's how I found out.
>>
>>5899233
Oh, you have MANY options for MI!

Walmart, Target, Kroger, and RiteAid all have $4 generics programs. You'll be able to get Spironolactone, Estradiol and Finasteride, all for very cheap (between $4 and $9 depending on the drug and dose) from any of the above with no insurance needed!
>>
>>5899233
Also, if you can get Expanded Medicaid coverage (which you can if you're getting EBT) then you get everything for $0, including Lupron.
>>
>>5899246

I never knew pharmacies could charge their own prices, this really changes things
>>
>>5899250
That's only partially true. Everything the insurance COVERS is $0.00
>>
>>5899259
You're looking for Pharmacies that have a "$4 Generics" program, or similar.

Rite Aid has the most well developed one [theirs is $9.99 generics, but $15.99 for 90 day supply which means you can get 45 days worth for a 200mg dose]

You can get 2mg Estradiol tablets for $4 for 30 of them, or $9 for 90 of them, at Walmart, Target, and Kroger. FInasteride is $11 at Walmart for 30 x 5mg pills. Spironolactone is only 25mg at the above mentioned, but 100mg tablets at Rite Aid as above. All very affordable.

https://www.riteaid.com/rx-savings-formulary
Spironolactone Pills
$9.99 for 30 x 100mg
$15.99 for 90 x 100mg
>>
>>5899268
Estradiol Pills and Shots, Spironolactone, Bicalutamide, both common Progestins, and Lupron, are all $0 on MI's expanded medicaid program.

Thanks for having me clarify!
>>
>>5899281
I didn't want to admit this, because of the possibility of people starting a flame war, but I do have Medicaid. And my medicaid is refusing to cover any of these medications.
>>
>>5899289
Medicaid, or Expanded Medicaid? If it's expanded, which provider? I might be able to help you out here with some information. There are new guidelines based on the WHO that dictate what Medicaid has to cover, and what Expanded Medicaid has to cover. It might just be a case of getting a better doctor to code the medications properly.
>>
>>5899294

My Medicaid is called "UPHP" (Upper Peninsula Health Plan)
>>
>>5899306
So Expanded Medicaid, then. You have a green "Mi Health" card, and then a provider card? If your provider is denying care, you need to call the number on the green card and switch your Medicaid Provider.
>>
>>5899315
Yes, but what do you mean by "switching provider"?
>>
>>5899323
Under Expanded Medicaid, your service is actually provided by an HMO/PPO that's offering a Medicaid Compliant plan the the state then pays for transparently. You'll have a choice of three to seven or so providers, and you're allowed to change if you're unhappy with your levels of care. Medicaid coverage standards are federally dictated, and aren't preclusionary to transgender health. But some providers play fast and loose with loopholes to try and sidestep obligation of care. Call the number on your Mi Health card.
>>
>>5899168
haha holy shit investing in parmecuticals for gender transition is probably so profitable right now.
>>
File: 55843918.jpg (90 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
55843918.jpg
90 KB, 400x400
>>5899330
I'll call it first thing in the morning! You've been a great help and I can't thank you enough. Your advanced level of knowledge on the subject has proven invaluable
>>
>>5899170
>The only reason for getting Estradiol I have found so far would be for prostate issues
estradiol is surely covered for hormone deficiency or something similar so get a trans friendly doctor to prescribe for that? don't ask the insurance company though.
>>
>>5899208
>>5899225
yeah that can happen but only if the doctor or patient let's the insurance company know. get it for some broad diagnosis like hormone deficiency without giving the insurance further information and it should work, right?
>>
>>5899168
How much does your estrogen cost?? Mine is only $10 a month (90 pills) and that's completely not covered by insurance. My Spiro is 45ish but insurance takes it down to about 7
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.