[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why/when was it changed from GLBT to LGBT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
Why/when was it changed from GLBT to LGBT?
>>
>>5882940
its said as both

never was changed
>>
Putting the L first is the only way to avoid a back-to-back vowel sound which the tongue isn't so good at articulating.
>>
>>5883109
this really

it's like saying gif with a hard g vs a soft. Sure original creators had it one way but everyone else decided it sounded better the other. You can cry feminism did it but it really does just sound better.
>>
>>5882940
LGBT is a more phonetically appealing initialism, it starts with a soft vowel sound (el). If the G is put first it forces a longer pause because a hard consonant sound followed immediately by a soft vowel sound like a single syllable, so GL (gee-el) sounds like gel (gehl). Every other letter of the initialism starts with a hard consonant sound so it's not a problem to differentiate with, so L has to go first just for phonetic clarity.
>>
It's the feminists' fault. It's always them.
>>
it should be bltg, that way we can be a sandwich.
>>
>>5883109
>>5883116
>>5883146
You fucking cunts will argue over anything. This is exactly why people get so annoyed with lesbians and why feminists can't be taken seriously.
>>
>>5883264
Why are you assuming they're lesbians and/or feminists?
>>
>>5883270
>Why are you assuming they're lesbians and/or feminists?
I'll assume this is a joke.
>>
>>5883285
I'm *hoping* >>5883264 was a joke.
>>
>>5883298
Absolutely delusional.
>>
>>5883264
Look mang I hate tumblr too but feminists and shit didn't create the english language or make an L sound nicer to start an acronym than a G.

Frankly the whole thing comes off as petty on either side to argue over. Like lesbians or gay men are gonna get more actual measurable rights or power just because they got a letter ahead in an acronym. It's merry christmas vs happy holidays level retarded to argue over.
>>
>>5882940
I actually have a semi related question. Why is the T in LGBT at all?

I get the idea that the point is to ally the groups, but I don't get the correlation between transgenderism--for lack of a better word--and the varying degrees of homosexuality. I mean, the first three are dealing specifically with sexualiity, but then the moment you hit the "T" you take a wide left and start going into gender, which is quite clearly another issue entirely.

Not saying that I'm against transgenderism--again I need a better word--and I'm not saying that I'm against homosexuality, but I just feel like they really shouldn't be lumped together like they are and it would make a lot of sense as far as I'm concerned if there was some kind of clear division there since these really are two completley different issues.

Thoughts?
>>
>>5886928
>Thoughts?
Man, is it your first day on this board or in the world? Yeah, we have been grouped together by the straights as the 'other' and because of historical reasons.
>>
>>5883116

I thought the original creators said it with a soft - that's the way I've always used and heard it.
>>
should be tlbg desu
>>
>>5883236

Sounds hot.

I call bottom bread.
>>
>>5883236
And then you can eat me! :)
>>
>>5885493
Or just HBT like various other languages do
>>
it shouldn't be any of those things it should just be something like rainbow people
>>
For all you fags
>LGBT
>LGTB
>LBTG
>LBGT
>LTBG
>LTGB
>GBTL
>GBLT
>GTBL
>GTLB
>GLTB
>GLBT
>TGBL
>TGLB
>TLGB
>TLBG
>TBLG
>TBGL
>BGTL
>BGLT
>BLGT
>BLTG
>BTGL
>BTLG

pick one
>>
>>5883309
Yeah, like the one who assumes everyone is a feminist isn't delusional.

>>5886928
As far as normal people are concerned, trannies are just "extremely gay". And every allosexual tranny is arguably gay, depending on whether you go by gender identity or assigned sex.
>>
>>5887153
>BLT G
That gay sandwich
>>
i just say "legbutt."
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.