[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can dysphoria be real if you just suddenly "discover"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: 1456340014001.png (89 KB, 353x332) Image search: [Google]
1456340014001.png
89 KB, 353x332
How can dysphoria be real if you just suddenly "discover" it well after puberty? Why not just ignore gender like you did those 20-30 years?
>>
Dysphoria is the opposite of euphoria, that is it is not a diagnosis but a feeling of things being wrong, being down, no positivism.

The old diagnosis Gender Identity Disorder, was recently adapted to fit a new term, Gender dysphoria.

Can you imagine there being something called gender euphoria?
>>
>>5873577
I don't understand this either. Like they didn't have one feeling of "god, i wish i was a girl" at any point until they were 30 with kids? Bullshit.
>>
>>5873577
There's dysphoria as a kid
It just becomes worse due to the visible changes with puberty
>>
>>5873594
Well, I don't mean those kids, but these 30 year old MtFs who never had any opposite gender related thoughts and who describe their dysphoria just flaring up suddenly (in weeks for example).
>>
>>5873594
Yeah, but in that case they knew about it. I think they're talking about the ones who report not ever have that feeling, and then just suddenly say they discovered their transness.
>>
>>5873604
>>5873603
Oh
Is that common?
>>
>>5873618
I've seen it on reddit at least a few times.
>>
well i realized i am trans with 21. can't remember ever having the conscious thought "i wish i am a girl" or such but looking back i was always kinda uncomfortable about gender stuff and can't remember much from my childhood anyway. also i think my repression started very early, like around age 6 or 7.
>>
Fuck you trutrans
>>
>>5873581
There is something called gender euphoria, it's when you really like the gender you're living as (whether your cis or a transitioned trans person). Those who are neither are dysphoric or euphoric towards their gender are usually regarded as cis (since they exhibit no desire to transition) but are technically non-binary since they don't have a substantial male or female gender identity.

>>5873603
Haven't really encountered anyone who describes it that way. More often signs were there all along, but interpreted as something else ("didn't like being forced into a male gender role", "wanted to be like a girl because all my role models are female", "every guy wants to be a girl, right?") rather than dysphoria.
>>
>>5873577
I knew at the onset of puberty I wished I were female, shaved my legs, wore nail polish, stole my sister's clothes. My parents got angry and shoved me in the closet.
SO,
I was high as fuck from 13.5 years, to 18, sober for 6 months, came out, gf at the time shoved me back in the closet, high as fuck again until 24, came out for real/started transition.

So no, I didn't "deal" with my assigned at birth gender for all of puberty. I ignored it with weed, opiates, and amphetamines b/c I couldn't stand to be myself but all the being high and repression made me crawl into the closet and only come out when I didn't know what sober me was like anymore.

Yes, I could keep ignoring my gender, however, I'd've OD'd by now
>>
>>5873811
That isn't what OP is talking about though. See >>5873603
>>
>>5873648
same
>>
>>5873866
It's pretty common there. Just today for example

>My spouse only realized they were trans a few months ago, well into their 30s, and we have been together since we were teenagers.

I feel bad for the spouse. This seems like something other than actual transsexualism.
>>
>>5873577
kys
>>
>>5873987
>that hurt my feelings so I will lash out in anger
>>
>>5873994
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>5874012
Obviously the person who told OP to kill themselves.
>>
>>5873978
>This seems like something other than actual transsexualism.
maybe but not necessarily. i would only discount transsexualism as the reason if the person has been happy and cheerful for most of their life.
>>
>>5873577
You ever get a little pain somewhere in your body, like maybe a joint or something hurts to move too much but you just ignore it because it's not a huge deal and you figure it'll just go away on its own because it doesn't hurt that bad? And then the pain slowly increases over time and gets worse but you can keep ignoring it for a long time and not even really notice it because you're used to it, and then one day you realize it hurts enough that it's taking you 5 minutes to prop yourself up and get out of bed. It's like that, it starts creeping in, you repress it and eventually that stops working and you can't ignore it anymore
>>
>>5873577
if you have dysphoria you don't discover it well after puberty

there are plenty of other disorders that don't show up until then, though
>>
>>5873577

Not how it works. Most have fantasies of being the opposite sex at an early age but assumes it is simply fantasy, or make the connection but go into full denial mode. Rarely does it truly come out of the blue.

So with dysphoria, you basically constantly feel like shit and don't really know why. Even worse, it's so constant you often don't realize how shitty you feel. It's situation normal and you assume everyone else slogs through life same as you. With less severe dysphoria connecting the fog of dysphoria to gender issues can be difficult. Personally, I had fantasies since I was 13 but didn't realize there was a connection or even a problem to fix. I really didn't understand how dysphoric I was until i started HRT and suddenly I had more energy, slept better, socialized more, and so on.

Metaphor I remember from my Humanities class is asparagus. You eat it and hours later your pee stinks. However, most people wouldn't make the causal connection if they weren't told that's what happens.
>>
File: Jaden-Smith-2013.jpg (56 KB, 520x646) Image search: [Google]
Jaden-Smith-2013.jpg
56 KB, 520x646
how can dysphoria b real
if gender isnt real???
>>
>>5873739
>gender euphoria
Do you really need a word for that?
>>
>>5874279
Yes, to distinguish positivity towards your gender from just being indifferent.
>>
File: 1448314407025.jpg (87 KB, 489x540) Image search: [Google]
1448314407025.jpg
87 KB, 489x540
>tfw seriously had gender dysphoria for as long as I can remember since I was very young
>tfw regardless of being trutrans as fuck my body is super masculine
>>
>>5873591
we had those feelings our whole lives you retard, we always wanted to be the opposite sex

it's just that most of us who transitioned after puberty just either:

1) didn't know hrt was a thing
2) wanted to be girls, not weird half-men, half-women freaks, so by the time we realized it *was* possible to be a girl and that HRT was a thing, we then had to fight with the internal strife of realizing that we'd missed the boat by not knowing early enough about HRT and that our bodies had already been irreversibly molested by testosterone. but eventually we all reached a point where we'd rather be this weird mish-mash of male and female secondary sexual characteristics than have to live another day as a man.

No sane teen goes to their parents and tells them they want to change their gender when they don't know that such a thing is actually possible; you might as well tell your parents you wanted to be an alien or something seemingly equally impossible. A decade or two ago when we were suffering through our first puberty the only "trans" people on TV were hons on the Jerry Springer Show; there were no Jazz Jennings or Jamie Claytons floating around in the media. There was no way to know it was actually possible to transition to the opposite sex and look like more than a man in a dress because "trans people" in the media back in the day all looked like men who got breast implants.

It's only recently that trans have been visible enough that you actually see trans people who have normal lives in the media. The media and the educational system are the only ones to blame for creating all these post-puberty transitioners; there has been a complete lack of education on this subject to the general public until recently. HRT should be taught when they teach you those sex education classes in middle school, because if I had known it was a thing back then then I WOULD have transitioned as a kid without hesitation.
>>
>>5877152
right in the feels.. now to put off suicide for another night.
>>
>>5873577
When a transvestic fetishist hits midlife crisis. Doctors see it all the time.
>>
>>5873978
Yeah but isn't it the least bit possible that there are plenty of self-repressed cases that don't get acknowledged until they're in their 30s? No one questions the legitimacy of gay or bi men coming out at that age, and gender dysphoria has much less visibility than deviant sexual orientations, especially in hyperconservative/devoutly religious communities. So it may never uave occurred to them that a gender-sexual organ mismatch is possible. Conflation of sex and gender is still very pervasive and persuasive, much more so than deviant sex orientation.
>>
>>5874267
Judith fucking Butler never even suggested that. Socially constructed =/= "not real" or "imaginary"
>>
>>5877152
/thread
>>
>>5877484
According to modern feminism, gender is not socially constructed but actually an indescribable essence inside you that's 100% substantially real.
>>
>>5877152
There was Kim Petras, but I don't think you would've heard of her unless you were german or UK, and just so happened to look at the TV in the right 10-15 minutes.

>>5873978
>I feel bad for the spouse. This seems like something other than actual transsexualism.
Isn't it worse when it is actual transsexualism?
Once this fad is gone, it'll return to normal, she'll get to have her husband back again.
>>
>>5877617
So how does that work for agender? I think our current definitions are still wholly dependent on social constructions (even if I don't get so pedantic as to say everything is socially constructed because language is the lens through which everything is understood and thus everything is constructed) of gender, and to suggeat that gender is constructed is to merely insist that gender is not static and/or cannot be described by anything other than a point or approximation on a spectrum, rather than an assistant assignment from a short list of possibilities. This does not deligitimize the intuition of the individual, it simply establishes meaning based on difference and relation, as well as reemphasize the reality of gender as a performance.
>>
>>5877660
>assistant
Fucking autocorrect. I don't even remember what that word was supposed to be.
>>
>>5873577
They are fetishists and don't realize the 'dysphoria' until their sexual dysfunction has progressed far enough.
If you weren't confused as to why everyone thought you were a boy as a kid, and didn't know why you couldn't wear dresses like the other girls, you aren't trans honestly
>>
My mom said I first told her I wanted to be a girl when I was 4 but I can remember feeling that way as early as three.

I legitimately do not understand how people can be 'unsure' they're trans, or 'discover' it late in life. It does not fucking compute to me. How do you know you don't just feel envy of the opposite sex or their social advantages? How can you be so sure it's your physical body that is the issue when you've had a lifetime to attach social inventions to gender?
>>
>>5873577
Because, I knew forever what I wanted to be, but I didn't have a word for it, nor did I know I there was such a thing called transition. So I thought I was alone. Until, I heard of Caitlyn Jenner. Then I automatically knew who I was or who I was supposed to be.
>>
>>5877696
Then you knew, you didn't suddenly realize you wanted to be female.
>>
>>5873577
All of the people who "discover" it later in life aren't really trans. True transgender people knew for a very long time and have already either killed themselves or taken steps to transition.
>>
>>5877152
That's sad, but it's not what OP is talking about. You actually had dysphoria. OP is talking about people who didn't have that. People who didn't repress anything, and suddenly think they "discover" their transness.

>>5875273
Life is cruel.
>>
>>5877152
Damn, this is so true. Because of the media I didn't even knew about HRT until I was almost 19, thought they just had some breast implants and make up.

Then when I finally found out I thought it was already too late to pass, and I didn't wanted to look like a man-woman. This until.

>but eventually we all reached a point where we'd rather be this weird mish-mash of male and female secondary sexual characteristics than have to live another day as a man.

Still took almost a year to bring myself to do it because I still live with my parents and I didn't want to tell them that to them, as my dad pretty much regard trans people as a bunch of degenerated freaks.

Luckily I was already pretty feminine looking naturally, so even now at 21 it's not that hard.
>>
>>5873577
>>5873591
>>5873603
>>5877307
>>5877684
>>5877800

But do we ever actually have proof of such cases? Jenner tried HRT back in the 80s, right?

>>5873978

That woman doesn't have any kids with them, do they?

>>5874180

I thought you were saying trans people are normal other than their dysphoria up until puberty, at which point they start developing disorders if they go on untreated. But now I see what you were actually implying, it made me chuckle.

>>5877654

Not that anon, but I heard of Kim Petras back when I was a 13 year old in Florida. The story did stick with me, but I think I ignored it due to difficulty and thinking my feelings would go away.

>>5877696

You went that long without having any idea, anon? Wow. How old are you?
>>
>>5877484
the phrasing of the OP gave me the urge to shitpost, anon
>>
if you ate a food you thought was shitty as a kid and then when you were older you discovered that that food is usually considered Shitty Food you start openly and knowingly think that food is shitty even though you kept thinking "well maybe if i just try this more itll be better"

thats dysphoria
and basically any other trans tells
>>
>>5873577
i agree but some people call stuff different things and sometimes you think what you're going through is normal and everyone has it and it's your fault you have an issue with it.

like for instance i never thought i was an anxious person or had anxiety. i called it 'negative anticipation' and thought it was just my issue dealing with something everyone had poorly. i talk things through with someone with anxiety, they say 'that's anxiety''. oh shit. like dysphoria could be the same. i never talked about it until i made a trans friend at uni and he said yeah it was dysphoria, the self hatred, the depression, the anxiety on going out, constantly changing appearance trying to find something that'd make me feel comfortable. i experienced dysphoria since i was 6 years old but i never knew what it was or if anything could be done or what it meant or why.

idk i think communication, openess to talk about things and awareness stops hon/brodude creation and identifies unhappy troubled kids who feel something is wrong but just think its normal. anyone who hasn't experienced /anything/ until mid 20s is suspect, like its an identity crisis, it isn't trans. i reckon theres a lot of unhappy people who end up killing themselves or living unhappy lives because they don't talk or explore or understand there could be another way. i know if i hadn't met another trans person, i'd have just ended up getting married and then killing myself
>>
>all these people saying they are trans and want to be a girl
>you already are a girl
>if you don't realize that
>you are barking up the wrong tree
>>
>>5874035
>i would only discount transsexualism as the reason if the person has been happy and cheerful for most of their life.
Seriously?

You too happy, no being a girl for you!
>>
>>5880282

I don't know what kind of tranny hasn't been miserable or at least felt out of place for most of their childhood.
>>
>>5880296
I don't let on about how often I'm miserable and my friends don't know how I felt as a child.

Fuck you for telling them to discredit me when I come out.
>>
>>5880315

That was a different anon who said that, but I agree with them. But you said you hid how miserable you were, maybe you're more socially functional than most trannies then.
>>
>>5880384
I'm not socially functional, just not obviously miserable.
>>
>>5877152
>so by the time we realized it *was* possible to be a girl
it still isn't ;_;
>>
>>5880474

>Implying that if you socially transitioned at 5, started puberty blockers at 12 and estrogen at 13 that anyone would care for the difference

I think even the staunchest "I'd never even knowingly want to fuck a tranny" fag would want to fuck you then. Pregnancy will probably even be possible for such a person within some decades.
>>
>>5878775
>But do we ever actually have proof of such cases?
stefonknee
>>
>>5881132
He's a fucked up fetishist, not transgender.
>>
i only discovered my sexual attraction to others after puberty
and boy oh boy that was some real shit
>>
>>5881118
i'll be happy when there's no way to tell i wasn't born cis.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.