[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does the pain from epilating compare to plucking? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
How does the pain from epilating compare to plucking? I'm tired of spending 2+ hours a week shaving, but i'm scared of epilating being too painful. I just tried plucking hair from different areas (legs, belly, chest) and while it's uncomfortable it doesn't hurt too much, unlike plucking from, say, the nose, where one hair is enough to make me cry.

Does epilating feel like plucking a lot of hairs at the same time? Or does it pull deeper and hurt more?
>>
>>5825852
I use my epilator for my stomach & chest, sometimes legs.

For your first times, it will hurt a lot. Like I could only do my left leg, then for my next time I did my left thigh, etc. It does depend a lot on how soft your skin is and how thick your hairs are. HRT has made it less painful for me, as I got softer skin and thinner hairs now. I recommend applying moisturizer a few hours before you do it.

Also get a wet&dry one, doing it in a hot bath or shower makes it a LOT less painful.
Also make sure the hairs get pulled with the direction they're growing (i.e. leg hair points down, thus make sure the epilator pulls the hairs downwards and not upwards.) Though pulling hairs the other way around makes it easier for the epilator to snag onto them, but it's more painful. So what I do if I haven't epilated in a while and only shaved, so all hairs are present, is to start with getting most of the hairs pulling downwards, then for the last few that my epilator isn't catching I flip my epilator around for.

>Does epilating feel like plucking a lot of hairs at the same time? Or does it pull deeper and hurt more?
It feels like many hairs being roughly plucked one after another in quick succession.

Totally worth it over waxing and shaving price wise. And result is better than shaving.
>>
Yeah most people including myself will tell you it hurts a lot and takes a long time the first time but gets much easier after that.
>>
I gave in and bought a home IPL machine, and whilst it stings a bit, it's a good hurt. Pain is masculinity leaving the body lol

Fucking £250 of expensive tho

Dunno how well it'll work, only had it a week but if it means I can stop shaving everything it'll be worth it
>>
>>5826199
IPL is actually a technique used to encourage hair growth. And also sold as an alternative to laser to reduce hair growth. What does the is tell you?

(IPL does nothing. That's what it tells you. There's not even the reassuring smell of burning hair you get from laser)
>>
Also... i read that the ideal hair length for epilating is 3-5mm, and if its longer you should trim it first. If it's shorter (my longest leg hairs are about 2mm) does it have trouble getting them?
>>
>>5826563
It shouldn't be an issue, I've epilate with longer and with shorter.

Essentially, do it after getting dry from the shower, a warm shower is best. Then epilate. Then have a COLD shower, this is essential. Then coat the areas in baby oil, this seals the pores and prevents ingrowns. In two days, revisit the area, and after that you're good for four to six weeks.
>>
>>5826572
i heard that if you're gonna dry epilate it's better to actually be dry, so no shower the hours before.
Why should it be cold after? I hate cold water.
>>
>>5826572
Fuck i always forget to ask something. Is a normal moisturizer the same as baby oil? Or does it like clog the pores?
>>
>>5826617
Warm before opens your pores, less pain.
Cold after closes your pores, protect again ingrowns
>>
>>5826626
You want baby oil, not moisturizer.
>>
>>5826199
>Fucking £250 of expensive tho
It's £2,000 for 8 full body laser sessions, you know.
>>
>>5826667
No it's not. I've been getting full body done for three months now. Paid $650. For eight sessions. Total.

And that's proper Laser, not IPL rubbish
>>
>>5826294
Uh IPL and laser is the exact same thing.
A laser doesn't generate light or energy, it's a method of narrowing the bandwidth from a light source.
Both IPL and lasers use xenon flash tubes as their energy source. IPL narrows the bandwidth via filters, laser narrows the bandwidth via a Nd-Yt crystal.
When they're encouraging hair growth via laser or light therapy they use different filters and less energy.
>>
>>5826772
IPL is not the same thing as laser lmao.
>>
>>5826772
You got scammed hon
>>
>>5826781
They're different technologies but similar concept. In a laser xenon flash tubes pump a Nd-Yt crystal which causes a very narrow bandwidth of light to escape.
In IPL you use xenon flash tubes to emit the entire spectrum and only narrow it via filters.
If you open either of them up the parts are pretty interchangeable and you can use IPL bulbs in a laser just fine since they're identical.
>>
>>5826790
On the contrary, I think you need to take a physics class.
>>
>>5826792
I'm a tech at a laser clinic. They're not even close to the same.
>>
>>5826815
Well they're not the same in the sense that you can use them interchangeably. Laser has different effects than IPL but the only limiting factor of IPL is shitty filters. But the work around to shitty filters is a semiconductor like a Nd-Yt and hence you get a laser.
Laser evolved out of IPL for a reason. Nobody was just playing around with lasers and found out it removed hair. We know that flash tubes that are powerful enough can burn hair, flesh, etc. The main tactic is narrowing the bandwidth and hence that's where semiconductors and filters come into play.
You can make a laser with the bulbs from IPL. That's how lasers are made lol
You flicker a flash bulb over and over and it energizes the semiconductor.
Lasers are nice and all but the technology itself is pretty basic. Most of the work comes in finding a way to get 100% of the light from the flash bulbs into the semiconductor.
>>
>>5825909
i don't know how you can epilate in that direction, i never catch any hairs that way so i have to have it pull "opposite"
>>
File: fl074b[1].jpg (22 KB, 846x275) Image search: [Google]
fl074b[1].jpg
22 KB, 846x275
>>5826833
Also here is the guts of a Nd-Yt laser.
That tube wrapped around it is a flash tube, the same flash tube used in IPL.
I always find that for every unit of science in hair removal there's 10,000x as much pseudoscience
Kind of like how they rate lasers and IPL in Joules per cm^2. Like wtf.... the unit of a joule is already in m^2 so what exactly are they even measuring? A laser is rated in watts because you literally control the seconds that a flash tube runs via the circuitry, so you know exactly how many joules it gives off in total but that total is emitted in 360 degrees from the center of the arc.

So wherever >>5826815 got their diploma or certificate should probably learn to properly teach what a laser is because they clearly are teaching the wrong concepts if people that work at these places legitimately think lasers and ipl are vastly different.
>>
>>5829097
>the unit of a joule is already in m^2
no
>The joule, is a derived unit of energy in the International System of Units. It is equal to the energy transferred (or work done) to an object when a force of one newton acts on that object in the direction of its motion through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N.
To transfer light energy, it needs to be translated to energy over a specific area, like cm^2.

>That tube wrapped around it is a flash tube, the same flash tube used in IPL.
False!
Flash tubes are different in shape, composition, spectrum, and intensity. First off if you directed that flash tube at your skin, you would get a burn. It is way to powerful. It needs to be because laser rods are very inefficient when iluminated by flash tube. Second it wouldn't fit into a hand held IPL device. Third, that is a long life mercury vapor tube. You can see the drop of mercury. It's not legal for sale to consumers due to the extra mercury. I could go on like this...
BTW, I have a few working lasers at home including both flash pumped and diode pumped laser rods.
>>
>>5832269
>To transfer light energy, it needs to be translated to energy over a specific area, like cm^2.
Unless your surface has the same angles as your source then you cannot simply divide by surface area, you would need to calculate something like the luminance which takes into account the angle of incoming light.

I wasn't really referring to handheld devices. I was talking more about professional devices. Research has proven that as long as IPL is designed properly it is equivalent to laser. It's in the article "A comparison study of the efficacy and side effects of different light sources in hair removal." Can't post the link cause 4chan banned links from Springer lol
I'm sure a lot of IPL bulbs could probably burn you as well though. The filters remove quite a bit of energy due to inefficiency.

I'm pretty sure both IPL and the majority of lasers (ruby or Nd-Yt) use the same bulbs, since they use quartz xenon bulbs. The suppliers I've checked out list their laser and IPL bulbs as identical anyway.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.