[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picking a New Name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 9UZt09R.jpg (110 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
9UZt09R.jpg
110 KB, 1024x768
I'm considering mtf transitioning, and I've been trying to think of names. I'm Andrew right now, but for whatever reason my first thought was Geneva. Is that a stupid name? ITT: post suggestions/similar stories
>>
File: 1456353316692.gif (3 MB, 377x372) Image search: [Google]
1456353316692.gif
3 MB, 377x372
>>5823845
>Geneva
>>
>>5823845

For me the idea of choosing my own name just felt wrong, so I asked what my parents would have called me if I was born female; which was Holly. So now I'm Holly.
>>
>>5823845
Yes very. Go to any baby name website and consider picking one of the most popular names for your generation. For example, Liam was a popular name in my generation so therefore if I was to transition from female to male I'd consider picking that. Additionally consider using a unisex name, like Sydney or a variation of Alex. Please don't pick a tumblr name like geneva. Names like that, Alice, Cindy, Britanny and many many others make us all look like either tumblrinas or AGP fetishists.
>>
>>5823898

Cannot stress this enough. Do not go for special snowflake names. You will not be taken seriously. I've seen people called Sierra, Annalysa and even fucking Precious. Fuck
>>
>>5823868
>>5823895
>>5823898
>>5823912
Thanks for being honest guys. I guess Sydney will work. I'll look up more unisex names. a friend also suggested Brandy.
>>
>>5823945
lmao are you trolling us?
>>
>>5823945

If I was to pick one of those two I'd go with Sydney, but in general I think it's best to pick a name that is relatively common in your area as well. This is just me personally, but I'd rather be known as female, not as trans; so picking a 'unique' name can often give it away.
>>
>>5823958
No, why?
>>
>>5823960
>give you away
Yeah, that's why I asked here. I had a sinking feeling it would put undue attention on me.
>>
>>5824008
I'm mtf and i'm going from Eli to Ellie so umm not sure what my point is. People also already mispronounced my name as Ellie so i already respond to it normally
>>
>>5824015
The obvious choice for me would be Andrea, but I don't like the name Andrew and Andrea is just a variation of it.
>>
>>5824013

Not to say the way I did it is the way everyone should, but why not ask your parents what you would have been called if you were born female? Assuming that's the kind of thing you can talk to them about
>>
>>5824052
I don't feel comfortable telling them... I don't know how they'll react.
>>
>>5823945
Sydney is fine.
>>
>>5823945
Don't ever name yourself after a city or an alcoholic product. Those are stripper stage names, they're not names for public life and common work.
>>
>>5824180
I've knew a kid named Sydney when I was little. Everyone thought it was fine, but maybe it was just because he was middle school aged.
>>
>>5824180
sydney's probably fine unless they get creative with the spelling. nobody's gonna take "sidneigh" seriously
>>
>>5823845
i changed mine to Lord Jaraxxus after my fave hearthstone char
>>
>>5823895
Unfortunately for me, my mom's very much dead and my dad would probably never answer the "what would you have named me if I was born a girl?" question or help me in anyway... So I'm kinda stuck picking my own name, one way or another.
>>
What year are you born anon? Adjust 5 years to account for the age reversing impact of estrogen (add 5 years to your birth year) and then pick a name from the top 50 of that year.
>>
File: staringintently.png (223 KB, 555x795) Image search: [Google]
staringintently.png
223 KB, 555x795
Ok Anon, be honest, what comes to mind when you hear Alyssa?

I guess I'm just scared that I'm not aware of all the connotations that go along with my name .__.
>>
>>5824633
I went with a similar name. Alice derivatives are popular!
>>
File: 1453339655724.png (563 KB, 861x990) Image search: [Google]
1453339655724.png
563 KB, 861x990
>>5824633
AGP comes to mind.
>>5824640
Replace popular with cancerous and you've got the truth of the situation
>>
File: image.jpg (266 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266 KB, 1000x1000
>>5823845
I'm ftm and I chose Nathan because it's close to my birth name and it blends in to normie society
>>
How about Groanzone?

It fits you perfectly.
>>
>>5824633
sounds like a bitch
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.