[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a correlation between being LGBT and being atheist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: gay.jpg (8 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
8 KB, 236x236
Is there a correlation between being LGBT and being atheist?
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6943034
>>
Yes.
>>
>>5795000
Well, I'd imagine its hard to be religious when most religions want us dead or say we're somehow immoral
>>
>>5795000
yeah, religions MAKE gay people Atheist.
fuck all that noise

>>5795281
there's this girl out there in the universe that I used to call Kate. Just the thought of her makes my heart skip a beat. Don't know who you are, just thought id let you know. For no other reason than, my heart just skipped one when I saw your trip.
>>
>>5795299
Thanks >~< I don't think I'm the same one, but still
>>
I am bi and Christian
>>
>>5795334
That's because your stupid honey.
Unless you're a dude, all religions are made to justify what ever dudes do.

>>5795311
"sigh" =^_^=
>>
>>5795354
If you want to talk or something you could always add me on Skype ^~^
>>
>>5795354
*you're
Care to explain how not being a Christian makes you smarter?
>>
>>5795384
Nahh, I think I can only take one heart break a year, and the kate chick, just so happened to be the person who taught me how to use skype. I think it would be a little weird for me..
You seem nice enough though, nah, I think ill stay away from the lady's for a bit, (well unless its for meaningless sex, but that's something entirely different) don't want to do something else that might hurt someone I don't even know. nah we can just be namefag/trip friends.
<3
>>
>>5795411
not smarter, just more observant and true to yourself. according to ALL the religious books I had to read for theology the one pattern I saw in ALL OF THEM like no exceptions was that women have to obey the man, the man picks the "lucky" pre teen to be his wife. its kind of why I don't subscribe to any of it, I mean I do most likely fallow a lot of Buddhist belief's but at the same time, I'm not interested in some of their lesser known beliefs.
when people ask me what I do believe in I tell them humanity, because if you are willing to kill me just to satiate your lust for ego n pride, then I don't want to be in your shitty world.
>>
>>5795442
Sounds like a purely emotional argument. In the trash it goes.
>>
>>5795000
i was gay long before i became an atheist
>>
>>5795422
I just meant as friends lol, I have a bf. Buuut I can see how that'd be awkward for you.
>>
>>5795000
Yes. Most gay people who grew up in a religious environment now resent it because they associate it with shitty closeted and fearful times. It's extremely rare that a religious family encourages their kids to be gay. Even if they're not outspoken atheists, I seriously doubt you'll find any legbutts are your local church/mosque/synagogue/temple.
>>
>>5795000
Gotta be pretty self-hating if you are homo or bi and believe in any of the major religions.
>>
>>5795000
>Is there a correlation between being LGBT and being atheist?

Yes.

There are some straight scientists and authors of course who are atheist but other than that almost every "ordinary" atheist seems to be lgbt. Straights fathers and mothers never seem to be atheist.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why atheism became so unpopular over the last few years. For a while it seemed to be the next big thing, but these days, most people, also younger people on the internet, seem to either hate atheists or don't take them serious at all.
>>
>>5795000
There's a correlation between being gay and behaving like a faggot.
>>
>>5795000
I am not gay but atheist
I know some atheist that go to church at least every month
If you talk about correlation you should make a questionably and use correlation analysis.
>>
>>5795299
can I ask where she was from? or what shes doing? I know a bisexual kate
>>
>>5796436
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>5795000
nice trips
>>5795354
>>5795729
>>5795791
I was raised a Christian
The Christian Bible only condemns homosexuality in two different places:
1. Leviticus, which is full of laws that Christians don't follow and every preacher ever will say were "just cultural laws of the time"
2. The Apostle Paul's epistles, which although Paul was one of the greatest missionaries of the faith, he did not have authority to make laws or declare what was or wasn't sinful. He stated many "rules" which aren't found elsewhere in the Bible like commanding men not to have long hair
Sadly, many Christian don't realize this and blindly sheep their pastors who blindly sheeped whatever they were taught in pastor college and hate hoosexuality. There are still more liberal church's out there that are accepting of the LGBT community and I just can't see the world as one where there is no God. I am certainly biased because I was raised Christian but I don't let the fact that most Christians make me uncomfortable change what I believe. Although I guess I'm not sure completely what I believe so I'm more of a theistic agnostic than a Christian.
>>
>>5797066
OH MY GOD SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT THANK YOU. I was raised a Christian and turned away from it all but there is no issue in being Homosexual and being a Christian.

The laws in Leviticus all match up to sway issues with hygiene and disease. Contraception and modern medicine weren't around back then so there was high risk of disease etc.
>>
i am planning to join a cult.

mind you, it will not be christianity or other shitty manipulative religions.
>>
>>5797092
>cult
>not manipulative
come on
>>
>>5797091
>there is no issue in being Homosexual and being a Christian.
Aside from these 2 very important parts.

>
The laws in Leviticus all match up to sway issues with hygiene and disease. Contraception and modern medicine weren't around back then so there was high risk of disease etc.
Irrelevant. Divine law is divine law.
>>
>>5797757
u better take off the clothes that have been woven with two fabrics, put down your pork chop and your prawns then buddy.
>>
I was born and raised atheist, ended up being bi and trans
I dunno though, I lean more towards agnosticism as I grew up.
>>
>>5797790
I'm merely a religious purist, I'm not religious myself.
>>
it's simple.
I'm a tranny. what loving god would create something like this?
>>
File: 1454098357661.jpg (318 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454098357661.jpg
318 KB, 1280x720
>tfw roman catholic dysphoriac in slavic shithole
>every authority shuns 'ideology of gender'

they're kinda right, GID is a fucking curse desu senpai
>>
>>5795000

seems that way.

I was raised Baptist. They told me that people who disobey god get burned in a lake of fire forever. After they told me about sex they said that some people do gay sex and if they do they get punished with eternal torture. I'm not trying to be edgy or anything about this, it just happens that it's what I was taught and I believed it for a while. It can be pretty damaging for a lot of people growing up. I still deal with issues of philophobia and guilt even when I know logically I'm not in the wrong for being attracted to men.

>>5795281

There are religions that don't. Most if not all Buddhist source material doesn't seem to give a shit if you're gay. It does seem to disapprove of being a trashy slut but that's another matter. The Hindus don't seem to care much either apart from some silly laws that concern the property rights of people with no children, and some deprecated rules regarding sexual misconduct.

I can't really say what I am. I've called myself a Subgenius, a Discordian, a Pagan, and a Buddhist at different times, and I like Thelema a little. I just hope gay people don't go around getting into Wicca like it's some kind of hot shit. According to some information, Wicca was started as a homophobic alternative to Thelema with a ridiculous focus on duality in nature, which sort of makes it into a heterosexual fertility cult.
>>
I wasn't raised with religion at all.
I used to be an atheist most of my life. When I struggled with very hard depression I tried so hard to gain faith, but it wouldn't work.
When I got onto a side that's closer to happy than to depressed I became agnostic.

The love of my life eventually made me Christian. Funnily enough I only accepted God and Jesus in my heart when he broke my heart.
I'm still very thankful though because he made me meet God and that's a great relief whenever I feel down and great joy whenever I feel happy (what hasn't been that much since my ex left me).

It was love, that lead me to God and he will be merciful and give me back my love eventually, I have faith in that.

Linking religion to intelligence is utter bullshit though. Do less intelligent people gain faith more easily? Yes, so much. Does it mean, that inelligent people are right, and there is no God, because more intelligent people are atheists than theists? Not at all. My intelligence is a fair bit above average (I count as gifted).
And that's what it is, a gift. God gave intelligent people the gift of mind. But for being blessed like that, he needs us to use that gift to find him, as long as we don't do that, we are not worthy of his gift. In return of the gift, he made it harder for us to believe, so that he can see, who is a true child of his.
However in difference to a lot of other Christians I don't think you have to be a theist to be worthy of God's mercy. As long as the pureness and greatness of our Lord is carved into your soul and you are a good person, God will forgive and embrace you for you are truly his.

I'm not very fond of the catholic church though.
>>
>>5801196
You might want to ask yourself where exactly your ideas about good came from, because they don't match up with any popular interpretations, or even reasonable readings of, the bible.
If you just believe in a historical figure with links to the divine, you probably want to ask how you know he existed or what he wants. That question becomes hard to answer if you think the bible gets it wrong.
If you just believe in an immaterial something that has your back, you're not exactly Christian.

If smarter people tend more often to "lose their faith" it's because they examine what their faith actually is.
>>
>>5795000
Maybe being gay gives you a crash course in the absurdity of religion, and so causes you to be more likely see the truth and reject it, but there's no guarantees.

I knew I was atheist probably before I knew I was gay. Being gay and having a bunch of religious people hate me for it only confirmed my suspicion that religion is just a load of crap.
>>
File: consider the following 10.png (293 KB, 800x424) Image search: [Google]
consider the following 10.png
293 KB, 800x424
>>5796436
>Straights fathers and mothers never seem to be atheist.
Here I present you myself, the lgbt son, with straight parents, straight grandparents, straight godparents, straight cousins (5 that I know of), etc. all being atheists. Few exceptions.
>>
>>5795442
>if you are willing to kill me just to satiate your lust for ego n pride, then I don't want to be in your shitty world.

Good news: you won't be.

>>5795791
>Gotta be pretty self-hating if you are homo or bi and believe in any of the major religions.

That's the thing anon: if you're religious enough, you're self-loathing already. Gay shit ain't special.
>>
>>5800441
God gave free will. You chose to be a tranny.
>>
Because Jesus was a hack fraud
>>
>>5801709
Yeah, and if god really knew everything, how couldn't he predict this happening? Making a planet full of weirdos and then punishing them "Because lol" is the greatest idea ever...
>>
>>5801719
He gave free will. You can choose to not sin and accept god into your heart
>>
>>5801724
Actually we took free will with the apple as I know. Which is totally not a paradox.
>>
File: 1368467476184.jpg (17 KB, 192x279) Image search: [Google]
1368467476184.jpg
17 KB, 192x279
>agnostic
>realise trans
>start thinking about religion
>god is going to be so mad at me
>am i going to go to hell for this
>can i make up for this
>how many hell points is trans worth
>does god still hate trannies or is he cool with them now
>mfw
>>
>>5801724
>Reply
Where in the bible does it say not to be a tranny. Show me.
>>
>>5801753
There is no hell points and god will never stop loving you. God loves all his children, and as long as you accept him in your heart and ask for forgiveness you will be allowed into heaven.
>>5801757
First show me where I said being a tranny is a sin.
>>
>>5801753

As we were discussing in another thread, it seems like many or most trans people are legitimately their identified gender on a neurological level. You have not just the mind but the brain of your preferred gender. So it seems that God really did make you 'actually' a woman.
>>
>>5801794
yay. now to remove this man suit,
>>
>>5801842

Pretty much. It might even be argued that you have a religious obligation TO transition.
>>
>gaytheist
>>
>>5795000
There probably is a cause/effect going on
I was really religious and deeply hated myself for being gay
Thankfully, I stopped believing in God before catching a bullet in brain
>>
>>5795442
Sketch?
>>
>>5795000
I'm sure there is due to the major religion's views toward homosexuals.
Personally, I don't really care - I came out of the closet in Catholic school, and frequent church every now and then.
>>
>>5801897
new word, I like

>>5801196
Aaaaan, tl;dr
>>
>>5795000
there's a correlation with being educated and being atheist

more educated people are also more likely to be open about their sexuality - less educated people are more likely to stay in the closet

therefore more gays are atheist than the general population - but being atheist doesn't make u gay
>>
>>5795000
Correlative, sure. Causal, don't think so.

Being gay or bi forces people with homophobic religious beliefs to face the problem of evil every time we fall in love with someone. It's harder to stay theistic if you're gay, because you have to think about the consequences of your theism more than a straight believer would.
And I think few gay people are willing to handle the cognitive dissonance, a communities' loathing, and the tedious constant cherry picking that come with positions like >>5797066 and >>5797091's.
>>
>>5808622
>the problem of evil
derp. Meant problems with social conservative theistic values, not problem of evil.
>>
Is there a correlation between being anti-LGBT and being religious?
>>
>>5808696
According to a Pew article I skimmed[1], yes. There is a correlation between being opposed to gay rights and a country's religiosity.

>"[Pew Research Center] also found a strong relationship between a country’s religiosity and opinions about homosexuality, with far less acceptance in countries where religion is central to people’s lives. Russia is a clear outlier, where there is less acceptance of homosexuality than the country’s low level of religiosity would suggest, and Brazil and the Philippines, where people are far more accepting than one might expect given their relatively high levels of religiosity.

>The link between religiosity and acceptance of homosexuality explains, at least in part, why acceptance of homosexuality among Americans is low relative to other wealthy countries, particularly Canada and Western European nations, where religion is less central to people’s lives than in the U.S. Fully 60% of Americans say homosexuality should be accepted by society, compared with 88% in Spain, 87% in Germany, 80% in Canada, 77% in France, 76% in Britain and 74% in Italy."

[1] http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/12/americans-are-less-accepting-of-homosexuality-than-canadians-western-europeans-and-religion-may-be-one-explanation/
>>
It occurred to me that I want to be a girl long before it occurred to me that Mormonism might not be 100% true. I wonder if I ever would have figured it out.
>>
>>5795000
Logically there shouldn't be since I imagine believing in a higher power shouldn't have anything to do with whether you like dick or vag, but I suppose the fact that many religions frown on homosexuality is part of why there is.

I've known plenty of gay christians tho
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.