[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is body dysmorphic disorder trated with antidepressants and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Are_b9758d_5692435.jpg (44 KB, 727x600) Image search: [Google]
Are_b9758d_5692435.jpg
44 KB, 727x600
Why is body dysmorphic disorder trated with antidepressants and therapy and gender dysphoria is treated with hormones?
>>
Because they're not the same thing.
>>
why are moderate hemorrhoids treated with increased fiber and sitz baths and extreme anal fissures are treated with surgery?
>>
>>5782397
would you explain?
both are mental illness that makes you feel like you dont belong in that body.
Isnt getting surgeries a way to treat body dysmorphia? Shouldnt therapy be a way to treat dysphoria?

>>5782406
>tfw im asking for a serious question in a place full of kids who wont even try to answer because they thing everything they do is the correct way
>>
Body dysmorphic disorder responds better to anti depressants and therapy. Gender dysphoria responds better to transition. Simple as that.
>>
>>5782418
>dysmorphia
"i'm fat!!" but you're actually not

>dysphoria
brain: "where the FUCK are my hormones?"
body: "lol you mean these are the wrong ones? :^^^^)"

one is about you seeing yourself differently due to depression and peer pressure by society. the other is your body fucking over your hormones.
>>
File: 1446732834985.png (275 KB, 1121x1304) Image search: [Google]
1446732834985.png
275 KB, 1121x1304
>>5782443

>Implying your body is wrong and your brain is right
>>
>>5782453
nice meme.

but yes the brain is right. they have studies proven that male and female brains are different, and trans people do indeed have the brain of the gender they identify as.
>>
>>5782443
>>5782390
Body dysmorphia has various causes not all of them social. There are some people with the disorder, for example, who want rid of a limb, or something similarly arbitrary, so are unlikely to be caused by social pressures. In answer to the OP's question, though, the current body of psychological evidence suggest that body dysmorphia can be effectively treated with ADs. This is not the case for gender dysphoria.
>>
>>5782453
it doesn't even matter, it's a hell of a lot easier to treat the body versus the brain to improve quality of life in trans patients.
>>
>>5782426
Thanks, Im glad somebody could explain it.
Still surgeries is a better way to treat dysmorphic? Or would the illness remain and feel weird even after the surgery?
>>
>>5782475
oh that's fucked. i thought anorexia was a sort of dysmorphia. never mind then
>>
>>5782453
I spent a decade trying to decide which was wrong.
You know the weird part about the kind of crazy trans people have? It's about a core part of their identity. That's really hard to fix with therapy and pills. Imagine the torture of backsliding and thinking you're in the wrong body again after years of therapy all down the drain.

It's really just easier to pacify the crazies by letting them look more like how they want to look. A convenient side effect, they usually end up taking themselves out of the gene pool too.

Frankly, I blame the jews.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 605x883) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 605x883
>>5782390
>>5782390
Femgen here, we aren't trans and treat our body dysmorphic disorder with hormones and good diet and exercise regimens.

Antidepressants cause sexual dysfunction, short term memory problems and in the end of the day won't fix what you don't like about your body. The smart thing to do is take initiative and fix it.

If you're a fatty, then get lipo, if you want to be buff then roid up and work out I seriously don't see why we shouldn't treat all body dysmorphia the same way GD is effective treated.

Just stop crying and do it.
>>
>>5782477
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=body+dysmorphia+surgery+effectiveness
>>
>>5782490
no, you are mtfs, you're literally the amab counterpart of afab people who identify as boys but dont want to take testosterone.
>>
>>5782475
>who want rid of a limb
I remember seeing some weird women's channel show on this level of body dysmorphia. And looking into it later, usually they knew someone at an important part of their development who had this disability. Even if it was just someone they met once. Something clicked and they internalized it.

I'd bet money gender dysphoria works the same way. Just at a different level. They've internalized their body should look one way from meeting people who they saw as their blueprint.

I wouldn't put it past medical science to develop a pill to fix this in 50-100 years.

In the meantime, we should just learn to enjoy the show.
>>
>>5782503
amab? afab? what the fuck are you talking about? and who says mtfs identify as males???? excuse you, i'm a female. clumping me with the term "boy" just makes me want to puke
>>
>>5782475
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a distinct mental disorder in which a person has symptoms of a medical illness, but the symptoms cannot be fully explained by an actual physical disorder. People with BDD are preoccupied with an imagined physical defect or a minor defect that others often cannot see. As a result, people with this disorder see themselves as "ugly" and often avoid social exposure to others or turn to plastic surgery to try to improve their appearance.

In my case, I have an objectively ugly nose, but I feel like I also have ugly eyes, chin and neck, which probably people would disagree.
Is that dysmorphia? What if I were given the chance to get a surgery but I wouldnt take it because I dont want to have a regular nose/chin, but instead I wanted a feminine one? Is that dysmorphia or dysphoria?
>>
>>5782484
It was once, but is now distinguished. Another factor that differentiates BDD from gender dysphoria, is that while surgery often significantly improves dysphoria, those with BDD who undergo cosmetic surgery, say they want their nose altered, usually experience no benefit. This is because the perceived flaw with their appearance is often a delusion, there have even been reports of people with BDD insisting that the surgeon did not perform the surgery while they were under. That's how convinced they can be of their own ugliness.
>>
>>5782516
Yes, the causes of mental disorders are now thought to be a result of a mixture of biological, psychological, and social factors. I was just trying to say that not everyone with the disorder has it because they were bullied for their appearance, or something similar.
>>
File: tumblr_nm27wrVSNc1sbtsgco1_500.jpg (94 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm27wrVSNc1sbtsgco1_500.jpg
94 KB, 500x750
>>5782508
calm your ass down, I was talking to a femgen poster, a boy who takes estrogen but still identifies as a boy.

they are in fact transsexual mtfs and they are the same thing as pic related, someone born female, who thinks they're a boy but won't take testosterone
>>
>>5782557
Femgen is the handsome husband
>>
>>5782516
If you had BDD, and got your nose and chin altered, you'd still think your nose and chin were ugly. It's not about the nose or chin itself, it's about the feeling that certain parts of your appearance are ugly.

It would be like if you had the delusion that all food is rotten. Would hiring someone to make sure your food is not rotten help you? It wouldn't, because you'd think they were lazy/bad at their job and let spoiled food through, because the food in front of you is quite clearly rotten.
>>
>>5782453

It's more like you can make your body budge but not your brain, so when something's got to give, it's the body.
>>
Both are extreme forms of ocd, but only in the case of bdd will people own up to this. Show me an individual with gid that doesn't also have or have struggled with ocd.
>>
>>5782667
>If you had BDD, and got your nose and chin altered, you'd still think your nose and chin were ugly. It's not about the nose or chin itself, it's about the feeling that certain parts of your appearance are ugly.

FUCK this is literally me
>>
>>5782453
Neither is objectively wrong, it's like saying that if one person is speaking French and the other is speaking Chinese, one is speaking the wrong language and the other is speaking the right one.
>>
>>5782457
Dude. Neurology is far from this. If you allow me the term, it's a meme science to real biologists. You need to be very critical of neurology publications. (as a PhD that went through multiple labs and confs. I'll admit i don't have 10 years exp).
>>
>>5782503
I'd say they're half-opposites. Transtrenders are born female, and continue to live as such, but call themselves male. Femboys are born male, transition to live as female, but call themselves male. Both end up as girls calling themselves male, the difference is that for transtrenders their transition is just asking for a different nameand pronouns, while for femboys they go through an actual physical and social transition while insisting on keeping their original name and pronouns. A direct opposite of AFAB trenders would be a "mtf" who calls themselves a woman while living and acting as a man. But both AFAB trenders and femboys end up the same, as girls who call themselves boys.
>>
>>5782557
Do you know that they identify as a boy and not a demi-boy or something? Because demi-boy is nonbinary and since they're in between male and female a demiboy transition does not NECESSARILY entail going on T or trying to pass as male. It's silly to judge the legitimacy of demigenders by the standards of binary trans people since they're not trying to transition into the same thing.
>>
>>5783364
Then the direct opposite of a femboy is?
>>
>>5782856
I have gender dysphoria and I've never stuggled with OCD, nor have I been diagnosed with the condition.
>>
>>5783411
So how does gender dysphoria play out for you? Are there thoughts about your body you can't let go. Intrusive thoughts? I'm very interested how for you personally this works. Be as specific as you can.
>>
>>5783423
wait. are you telling that this dysphoria thing is about intrusive thoughts ? I often thinks about hurting/killing people and I'm never going to let that lead my life. Are trans this weak minded ?
I don't know much about this so I probably sound blunt and rude but I'm really naively asking.
>>
>>5783507
Youre trans because you want to kill people?
>>
>>5782390
>why are two diseases treated differently
uhh
>>
>>5783542
i'm cis. the point is, i don't want to kill people even if i have intrusive thoughts about it.
do trans become trans because they have intrusive thoughts about it ?
>>
>>5783559
They are encouraged to act on their thoughts. The difference between bdd and dysphoria is that bdd is usually about a separate part of your body, like nose, mouth, ears, skin, etc. plastic surgery won't help because after the bdd will still be there. Dysphoria is when you hate all your body, which some bdd sufferers can do as well. But dysphoria is told ffs and hormones will fix it. Bdd is not.

Notice how we speak about it as well we say trans x and sufferer of bdd, one is considered identity the other a disease that needs to be learned to lived with
>>
>>5783384
Butch lesbians, the ones that are "obviously ftm" but still identify as female. Of course strictly speaking it has nothing to do with sexuality, but butch straight girls seem really rare.
>>
>>5783577
Technically, trans woman / trans man refers to the fact that they live as the sex opposite as assigned, rather than that they have dysphoria.
>>
>>5783507
no
>>
I feel sick thinking of an adult even sitting down to make the OP image
>>
>>5782475
>>5782507
>>5782516
Mate, don't be a silly willy, what you described are two completely different mental conditions. People with BBD have a delusional strive for perceived bodily perfection, which will never end. People with body integrity identity disorder just have a strong desire to be disabled, after they remove whatever body parts that bother them they're pretty much good.
>>
>>5782708

>you can make your body budge but not your brain

But that's not true at all. You can definitely alter brains just as easily or even more easily than you can alter bodies.
>>
>>5784395
Not with modern science. Gender dysphoria is caused by the physical structure of a non-plastic part of the brain, the only way to fix it would be with nanobot surgery, which obviously isn't practical yet.
>>
>>5784395
Not physically. We don't even know for sure what causes the dysphoria, and the use of conversion therapy is considered both highly unethical and ineffective on both gays and transsexuals. Remember Leelah Alcorn? Her parents tried to isolate her from her peers and shut down her dysphoria by tossing her into conversion therapy, which resulted in her decision to toss herself into oncoming traffic.
>>
>>5782390
It's because body dismorphia is stuff like:
>i wish i wasn't so fat

While trans people are like:
>im a guy and i wish i had boobs and a vagina
>>
>>5782406
bdd isn't necessarily less severe than gd though
>>
>>5783375
>demi-boy
just stop
>>
They tried to treat gender dysphoria with antidepressants and counselling. It doesn't work. So they looked for something else. Turns out, changing the body works. It's all about what works. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not the result.
>>
File: CatWomanPlasticSurgery[1].jpg (82 KB, 468x660) Image search: [Google]
CatWomanPlasticSurgery[1].jpg
82 KB, 468x660
>Why is body dysmorphic disorder trated with antidepressants and therapy and gender dysphoria is treated with hormones?

Because hormones, possibly plus antidepressants and therapy have a better success rate than just antidepressants and therapy.

Granted, hormones don't have a great success rate either, but you take what you can get.

Also, people with BDD DO get surgery.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.