[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Genderfluid General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: images.png (410 B, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
images.png
410 B, 290x174
a place for all genderfluid people to meet each other
>>
>>5727438
> 0 replies

AhhahAHAHAHA

Fuck off back to tumblr you shits
>>
>>5727438
>>5730542
>0 serious replies
>1 troll reply

This is why I don't publicly identify as genderfluid. Sigh.
>>
>>5730743
Gender fluid makes no fucking sense. It's bullshit and made up.
>>
>>5730750
I've met quite a few people who don't feel comfortable presenting as either completely masculine or completely feminine. (And I feel the same way.)

They've all told me that in a perfect world, they would adjust how masculine or feminine they present based on how they are feeling and who they are with. The only reason they don't is because of the social consequences.

How does their experience 'make no sense'? And how does society's attitude towards them 'make sense'?
>>
>>5730750
Elaborate?
>>
>>5730801
If they don't want to be masculine or feminine isn't that more gender neutral or agender?

My understanding of gender fluid is that sometimes you feel masculine and sometimes feminine it just changes day to day. Some days could be neutral too.
>>
Remember kids: there's a difference between gender roles and gender, there's a difference between masculine and male, there's a difference between feminine and female.
Now either come out as trans or accept that you're just a cis snowflake.
>>
>>5730801
It's called being androgynous and tons of people do this with or without referring to themselves as such. Calling yourself "genderfluid" makes it sound like you have dissociative identity disorder. It's a superfluous term and shouldn't be used by anyone who wants to be taken seriously.
>>
>>5730821
>My understanding of gender fluid is that sometimes you feel masculine and sometimes feminine
That's exactly what I meant.

>adjust how masculine or feminine they present based on how they are feeling and who they are with
>>
>>5730866
'Androgynous' is a pretty ambiguous term. It's usually used to describe people who look like they could be either sex.

Hardly anyone uses it to describe how they feel, or self-identify. (It's a bit like the word 'hipster', in that sense.)
>tfw my captcha is coffee
>>
>>5730898
You have a point, I'll agree with that, but isn't being "genderfluid" pretty similar in theory? For example, I don't identify as androgynous (I'm male) but I often confuse others with my appearance--what I do is pretty much the same thing as being "genderfluid". Some days I tie my hair back and look more masculine and other days I style it and end up looking really girly. I'm still male though. It's just my presentation. I don't really see the need to label yourself myself as "genderfluid" because it seems unnecessary. Wouldn't you agree?
>>
>>5730957
That's actually a pretty good example to illustrate the difference. Compare your own experience with this:

I look clearly masculine, and I present that way all the time, but I feel and act differently depending on my mood and the company I'm in.

With certain friends, I feel more 'stereotypically feminine'. I open up about my feelings more, I rely more on body language, and I'm more figurative and more indirect. I move more fluidly, I identify more with the experiences of female friends than male friends, and I feel more at ease when they treat me as 'one of the girls'. After hanging out with them for a long time, I sometimes feel unnerved when I'm reminded that I'm wearing masculine clothes.

With other friends, it's just the opposite. I feel more comfortable having analytical conversations about factual/technical topics, and I communicate more bluntly and more directly. When a 'feminine' friend bumps into the conversation, it feels like a sort of culture shock - like I've betrayed part of my character. The reverse also applies.

Even my sexual preferences change depending on mood and circumstances. I'm bisexual, but I feel more attracted to women or to men depending on my mood and on who I've been hanging out with.

Some days, I pick a random outfit from my masculine wardrobe and feel perfectly comfortable with it. Some days, I'm disappointed I don't have any cute dresses that fit me, and it depresses me that people would ask weird questions if I showed up in a cute feminine outfit.
>>
>>5731146
Interesting. I hadn't even considered the emotional and behavioural aspects.

Some of what you've described actually resonates with my own experiences as well, though I'm not sure if it's a case of naturally becoming more like my surroundings, i.e. letting my femininity out more when I'm surrounded by feminine people and vice versa when surrounded by masculine people.

While the term "genderfluid" may be technically correct and applicable to such instances, I don't think it's something I would ever tell people I identify as. I see it as a term that may allow one to understand oneself a bit better, but to declare it as an identity doesn't seem right to me.
>>
>>5731275
>I see it as a term that may allow one to understand oneself a bit better, but to declare it as an identity doesn't seem right to me.
Why not? I feel the same way, but the only reason it 'doesn't seem right to me' is because society doesn't take it seriously.
>>
>>5731317
>not taken seriously
This is part of it. However, I'm still male and to call myself anything else is simply untrue, no matter how girly I look or how girly I feel/act. Using "genderfluid" (or "other" in terms of M/F/O) instead of "male" or "androgynous male" just isn't correct. It comes across as pretentious and insulting to trans people.
>>
>>5731366
>male
>girly
One describes sex, the other (roughly) describes gender presentation.

Why would 'genderfluid' as an identity be insulting to trans people? I know trans people who identify as both male and girly, and don't consider that contradictory at all.
>>
>>5730743
I too refuse to publicly identify as a special snowflake.
>>
>>5731146
I'm a gay, binary trans guy and I feel the same way though? At least as regards the way you describe acting and feeling differently when in different company. I always present masculine and never have a desire to wear feminine clothing or look female, but I definitely move in and out of masculine or feminine roles depending on the people I'm with. I was under the impression MOST people did this, especially gay people.

Do you have body dysphoria at all?
>>
>>5731512
>I was under the impression MOST people did this
I think most cis people DON'T do that. That's one of the things that makes it so difficult to explain trans/queer experience to them.

>Do you have body dysphoria at all?
I'm not disgusted by my body, but I'm constantly disappointed and a little unnerved that it can't be molded according to what feels right at the moment.
>>
I'm pretty fluid.

I'm basically a pretty boy with a tranny fetish and a huge hormone addiction. If you can't fuck, join em.
>>
>>5730856
This
>>
>>5727438
lmao

why don't you just dress how you want and use the label that everyone around you is already comfortable with

literally what is the point in calling yourself masculine one day and feminine another day?

it's a shallow and pointless way to identify. literally nobody cares if you're a female who likes traditionally "male" things
>>
>>5731848
Ok. Tomorrow, I will wear the little black dress I want to wear, and use the label 'male' that everyone is comfortable with. Now watch the shit hit the fan.

>literally what is the point in calling yourself masculine one day and feminine another day?
The point is that is allows people to be themselves.

>it's a shallow and pointless way to identify
So is every identity category, taken on its own. That's why no one identifies as only "a white person", "a father", "an RHCP fan" or "an engineer", but has multiple identities that overlap and often conflict.

>literally nobody cares if you're a female who likes traditionally "male" things
The other way around is a lot more controversial, though. Arbitrary standards, fuck yeah!
>>
>>5730743
>>5727438
Don't you guys already have femgen? Doesn't androgyny cover what you want or
>>
>>5732009
I post in femgen sometimes, when I'm feeling feminine. That's only half of the time though.

We talked about the difference between androgyny and genderfluid earlier in this thread.
>>
>>5727438
Just ignore the assholes and go to somewhere where you won't be eaten alive
>>
Okay. I'm genderfluid. It's been awhile since my last bout of dysphoria, but I know the moment I say, oh I guess I'm cured and cis female, it'll come right out my ass and I'll want to die for a month.
>>
>>5731433
I don't think it's contradictory to be male and girly either, which is what I am. And what I mean is that I'm not "female" on days where I feel more feminine. You're using the terms "masculine" and "feminine" and so when you're choosing to present and behave as "femininely" as possible on a given day, that doesn't make you female.

Calling yourself "genderfluid" belittles the experience of transgender people by downplaying the intense mental anguish many of them go through. Saying "oh I'm a man today!" and "oh nope I'm a woman today!" based on how masc or fem you're feeling is simply ridiculous.

Present in which ever way you want in order to be consistent with how you feel, but you don't just oscillate between male and female every other day. It's a laughable notion quite frankly, which is why I compared it to dissociative identity disorder in one of my earlier responses.

>>5731470
Indeed. This is exactly what being "genderfluid" encompasses.
>>
No no fuck this stupid shit, this board is for L G B and T

Nowhere in there is a letter for "stupid made up tumblr shit"
>>
>>5732955
One thing, I don't mean to come across as an asshole, I just feel strongly about this. I want to reiterate that it's not that I think being "genderfluid" is impossible, I just think it is more suited to describe presentation and should not replace one's gender as male or female. For example, you can be a genderfluid male in a sense that you're idea of your own gender expression is subject to change depending on how you feel, but you're still male. You may present with the intention of being gendered as female one day, but you're still male. So when someone asks if you're a boy or a girl, you should respond with "boy" because your presentation is simply an exterior. Replying to such a question with "i'm genderfluid" is inappropriate in my opinion.
>>
>>5732975
Final verdict: it's simply an adjective and should be treated as such. It is in no way an identity and does not deserve it's own thread or following within LGBT spaces.
>>
well, to be honest, reading this thread has convinced me not to pick up a tumblr identity. not that I don't see how genderfluid could be an appealing label, but

1) being a bi guy who is on-again off-again girly is confusing and weird enough without over analyzing the significance of how I present in different company and whether it makes sense to categorize myself differently somehow, especially since most people act completely differently in different company, although not usually in a gender related way.

2) it just seems like at some point you're parsing things too finely and rather than describing identities you end up describing stylistic intersections or subsections of these identities. They don't describe some inner nature that is in a sense in conflict with a societal norm in a way that is distinguishable from other identities. Since broader identities like "gay" or "trans" or "bi" are in a state of extreme hostility with social norms describing these stylistic labels as "identities" comes off in the same way as listing your favorite color in your resume would. Here I'd say the broader identity is probably "non-gender conforming" or something...
>>
File: 1452593124081.gif (971 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1452593124081.gif
971 KB, 500x490
>>5730856
This desu senpai
>>
File: 1448952051418.jpg (113 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448952051418.jpg
113 KB, 640x640
>>5731146
Sounds like you're conflating gender roles with gender identity.

How do you actually feel about your body? Would you say you have gender dysphoria? Because if you do and it appears to fluctuate (which it sounds like you might be describing) that's pretty normal of dysphoria. It's not always on full blast.
>>
there are 2 genders

male

female

some people have the mental disorder that makes them think they're the wrong one. these people want to be other one

anyone claiming to not fit into these groups are retarded
>>
File: pronouns.jpg (73 KB, 465x347) Image search: [Google]
pronouns.jpg
73 KB, 465x347
>>5727438
>>
Just be a guy who is into girly shit or a girl who's into guy shit.

There's literally no need to slap another label on something. It's regressive and ridiculous.
>>
Ive never met any liquid that identified as a gender, let alone used a computer
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.