[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been thinking a lot about transition recently. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
I've been thinking a lot about transition recently. I've come to the conclusion that it's utterly useless as far as dysphoria goes.

Think about it this way, no matter how good of a transition you get, you'll never be biologically the gender you're transitioning into. For FtM's, you'll never have a penis, just fat built up over your vagina made to look like a penis, and you'll have 100% fake testicles. For MtF's, you'll never have ovaries and you'll merely have a disfigured, inverted penis.

You'll never truly be whatever gender you want to be. You'll look it, but you won't really be that gender. Just accept that fact. I'm personally a male who's always felt like a female, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be female, and I'm happier because of it. If all of you did this you'd feel much better.
>>
>>5718720
yeah im sure thats gonna work out for you, hon.
>>
>>5718728
That's not how you use the word 'hon', nice try, though.
>>
>>5718720
You think we don't already know this? we're not complete idiots. We know we'll never be completely biologically male/female, but we want to get as close as we can, and we want to look the part. Transition might not be enough for you, but it solves a lot of dysphoria for a lot of us. Why do you think so many people would do it if it were truly "utterly useless."

too lazy to find a bait pic so just pretend it's here.
>>
>>5718737
Because it is utterly useless. Why do you think so many people kill themselves post-transition? Just "looking like" a gender doesn't mean you're that gender. You can take estrogen pills and get your dick messed up as much as you want, you'll never be a girl. You'll never go through female puberty, you'll never have a period, you'll never get pregnant, you'll never have a typically female libido. You'll just be a mentally deranged man running around telling everybody you're a girl when really you're not.
>>
>>5718735
OP will be a hon in 20 years when he has a nervous breakdown that tears apart his family.
>>
>>5718743
Firstly: please show me the receipts for post-transition suicide.
Secondly: I'm FtM.
Thirdly: 7/10 I replied
>>
So this dysphoria thing is really quite something, the more I hear and learn about it.

Although it seems it has close ties to things like obsessive compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts, body dysmorphic disorder (how anorexia sufferers see themselves as much bigger than they are), etc. There's no cure for it.

Even people with heavy schizophrenia can today be treated with more and more success, but for some reason there is no cure for dysphoria. The thing that is said to ease dysphoria is to transition through HRT, SRS and shaving down bones in order to give the sufferers the feeling that their body suits what is in their mind.

No other psychological disorder is given this treatment, and sufferers of other obsessive-like ailments might be told to find a different focus in life or learn to live with what they have and not what they wish life was like.

And not only is all of this a way to cure dysphoria, as it might still be there or show up afterwards so unlike other ways to treat mental health issues were either the symptoms are focus on, or behavior or cognition, sufferers of dysphoria are treated with changing their endocrinological system and alterations to their body.
This is really fascinating stuff. There is nothing quite like it.
>>
>>5718761
Female to males are even worse. It's even more vain than a male to female's transition I'm afraid to say. Your "testicles" will be silicon ovals implanted into a sack of skin built below your fake "penis", (made out of either assfat or armfat) said "penis" will barely even look like a penis unless you pay thousands to get it built onto you by some millionaire doctor in Thailand.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com/
this website has a lot of information on trans-suicide rates post transition and all the problems with transitioning if you're interested.
>>
>>5718735
>>5718758
this t b h f a m
>>
>>5718720
The point of transition is to reduce ore eliminate gender dysphoria. For those where it only reduces it, they try to reduce it to a level where it is no longer causing significant distress. You may or may not already be in that state.

Note, not everybody who had gender dysphoria needs to go the whole 9 yards and get SRS.
>>
>>5718720
Weak bait desu.

Everyone knows social transition is the whole point of it. Getting treated how you want to be treated by the rest of the world.

SRS is great for removing the genitals you hate, if you really have genital dysphoria. The results could definitely be better, but for many it's still better than something they hate.

It's also painfully easy to see you pulled this 'enlightenment' out your ass.

2 stars.
>>
>>5718778
fear monger!

That site is highly biased.

Many FtMs don't bother with SRS due to lack of good choices. For post 1989 SRS FtMs, the suicide rate drops to near normal post transition. The quality of the surgery is very good, and modern techniques can even have it be self lubricating.
>>
>>5719587
>For post 1989 SRS FtMs
oops
For post 1989 SRS MtFs
>>
>>5719647
Yeah, I feel hair transplants and FFS are much more important now.
>>
>>5718743
Life in general is utterly useless. If people feel happier dressing like the opposite gender theres no real reason ti try and stop them.
8/10 b8 m8
>>
does your life really revolve around genitals? jeez
>>
>>5719683
Of course OP's life revolves around genitals. I've gone down that road. "Ah, but if you don't have a working (genitalia), what's the point?", "oh, maybe they're better than nothing, but if you can't engage in sexual intercourse to have offspring as the parent you desire, what's the point?", "well, it's not perfect, so maybe I'll hold off. I'm just fine being resigned to misery."

High school was a shit time, and I was a shit person. But sadly some of us have to take the long way to get there.
>>
>>5719683
>>5719765
Seeing as it's literally the deciding factor of what gender you're born as, it kind of does.

You're either born male or female, unless you're somewhere in between when you're born you don't get to decide your gender.
>>
>>5720561
No, most of us really don't get to decide our gender, whether we're born with testes, ovaries, penises, vulva, or some combination. In a minority of cases, though, neither do our genitals.

It'll take time, but eventually you can make peace with yourself, and the complicated world you live in.
>>
>>5718720
Your dysphoria must be different than mine, then. Mine is bad enough that looking female and getting SRS is both necessary and adequate. I don't need to be able to reproduce - all I need is to be happy with how I look, and with the sound of my voice.
>>
I don't give a shit about vadge or dick.

>not truly
>not 100%
>never this, never that

Have fun being miserable.
>>
>>5718776
It's peculiar, isn't it?
I think it's handled so uniquely because it effects what a person perceives themselves to be at a core level. Can you imagine the amount of brainwashing it would take to convince someone they're not what they think they are?

It reminds me of the people who think they shouldn't have a certain limb and try to cut it off themselves. Usually because they knew someone during an important development who was missing said limb. Some kind of imprinting happens. Or others who fake being crippled because they had a crippled family member growing up and admired them and to them walking just feels "wrong".

There's also the disorder where people think they are "dead" and aren't really alive despite walking and talking. No one could convince them otherwise. I remember they actually had some progress there though; they discovered there was a lot less brain activity in the frontal lobe than there should have been. With the right treatment some gained some sensation back in their life and felt "alive" again.

I think nowadays GID is considered a neurlogical disorder. If that's true, it might be treated MUCH differently in 100 years.
>>
>>5720927
It's called the Cotard delusion (should be a funny note to you if you've ever watched Synecdoche New York). But you're touching on why I find it so strange.
You say that it takes brainwashing to convince someone they are not what they think they are but schizophrenics with delusions of being important historical figures or being more important than they are, receiving messages because they are agents etc, can be treated. There is always a risk for relapses but there are also cases of people getting rid of all symptoms through therapy.

To me it is a case of accepting delusion and I see it forming into a church. We (mostly) accept that there are people around us who thinks they can talk to god by folding their hands but since it's a shared delusion that doesn't effect the functionality of the believer we don't attempt to cure them of their core belief. If someone is convinced their mother is possessed by the devil and they have to kill her, we do however, since it's a delusion shared by none other.

Shutter Island is a shit movie but it poses a very interesting question. What would happen if you oblige a paranoid schizophrenic and did your best to arrange their delusion to come of as true?

Anyway, dysphoria is not schizophrenia and from what I gather it seems like without the offered treatment, sufferers claim it to be the very worst condition there could be.
So... Why have we evolved so far with it?
>>
>>5720983
There are a couple of doctors to "blame" for the treatment. John Money comes to mind. Which is interesting because he had the controversy with David Reimer being "raised" as a girl after his botched circumcision and it was deemed a succeess before the poor man's suicide years later.

Maybe it's a case of "we don't know how to fix it, so let's treat the symptoms and help them manage it." We know how well "fag camps" worked out and how the public feels about them now. The same situation would be with trans people I guess. We've learned to accept people like this because the media has exposed us to them more and told us to accept them. Whether that's good or bad.
>>
>>5721081
>and it was deemed a succeess before the poor man's suicide years later.
That was only because John Money lied. He knew it was a failure and covered it up. It took a reporter digging into the case to blow the cover up wide open and discredit John Money.
>>
>>5720983
Biology isn't perfect obviously, mutations fuck up or some reactions don't go perfectly, that's kind of the reason lots of animals have like 10s or 100s of offspring to try to reproduce something that survives.
>>
>>5718720

Nah, I'm trans, and transitioning made it so I have zero dysphoria any more, whereas I was suicidal over it pretty much the 10 years before that. I don't feel different from cis women, nor am I treated any differently than them. You do you, tho.
>>
>>5722173
"I don't feel any different from cis women" How would you know this exactly?
>>
>>5723270
conversations with cis women. Surprise, surprise, once women found out I was trans, they included me in their circles. This was long before I finished transition or passed.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.