[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw as a teacher I can be legally fired for being gay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1431209911955.png (1 MB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1431209911955.png
1 MB, 919x720
>mfw as a teacher I can be legally fired for being gay
>>
good
>>
>>5611226
USA?
>>
File: 1435636436271.gif (485 KB, 366x232) Image search: [Google]
1435636436271.gif
485 KB, 366x232
Where do you live, Zimbabwe?
>>
>>5611275
>>5611281
It's perfectly legal in the USA

It's complicated but the schools can totally fire someone if they feel like they're not upholding public morality. In a lot of cases and places that means not being gay.
>>
>>5611293
Sounds like one of those loopholes, is that a federal law or some backwards bible belt thing? I'd LOVE to see an educational institute in the UK try that, the tribunal would over be so fast the lawyers would probably leave their kids in the car with the engine running.
>>
>>5611293
Perfectly legal doesn't mean the school would try it. It's
>CURRENT YEAR
so a public school wouldn't dare fire a teacher just for being gay.
>>
>>5611322
Nah, because as a teacher you're supposed to be a moral and ethical standard for children you are required to live by and uphold certain ethical frameworks that deal with things like lifestyle.

All they have to do is prove that it in any way changes your relationship with the students and you can be booted.
>>
>>5611355
This is true. Mostly.

I live in a super rural area (and want to teach in an even ruraler one) so it could very well happen.
>>
I don't see a problem with this. If parents are uncomfortable leaving their children in your care, then you're no use to the school as a teacher.

Is it fair? No, not really. But that's life. If you can't do the job you're hired for then you don't belong in that job.

Note that I'm not implying this will be an issue everywhere you go, but if it obviously is an issue in your area and you try to force it anyway because "muh equal rights" then you are just an entitled piece of shit, end of story.
>>
>>5611355
Basically this.

LGBT people in much of the US don't have protection from employment discrimination, teachers and school staff being just one part of it.

However, this kind of discrimination doesn't happen too much any more (at least for teachers in public schools) because there'd be a huge shitstorm.
>>
>>5611679
But with that logic, can't the parents also get you fired if you're black? Or even a man? Or literally just because you're too tall or too short or too ugly? Like, do you believe there should be a line? And if so, where?
>>
>>5612233
Yes, yes, and yes. If you as an employee belong to a group that drives away perspective clients (or in this case, students) then you absolutely should be fired from that job. Your employer should not be obligated to take the heat for you just so you can have your job.

I have known plenty of business owners that have had to fire black employees because clients were not comfortable with them, so it's not just gays or anything.
>>
>>5612249
You don't know what you're legally talking about.
>perspective clients
You aren't hired by the students or parents. You're hired by the school district and only the school district. The parents are not in charge of that in any way.
The parent's feelings about whatever a teacher does has absolutely no effect on that.
It all comes down the the school board and that they can prove specific things.
I mean we like to say that the government is "the people" but you can't get a mob of citizens to just start firing cops because they don't like his lifestyle.
>>
File: mad-over-9000.jpg (49 KB, 532x300) Image search: [Google]
mad-over-9000.jpg
49 KB, 532x300
>>5611226
This shit right here is why the fight for gay rights does not end with marriage equality. If anything, equal employment protections are far more important to LGBT livelihoods, and that fight is just warming up.
>>
>>5612266
But should the school district force parents to accept a teacher they are not comfortable with just because it's politically correct?

If it's just one or two parents then of course they should be ignored, but if almost every parents is not ok with a gay teacher then the school district has an obligation to get rid of them, sad as it is.
>>
>>5612374
>But should the school district force parents to accept a teacher they are not comfortable with just because it's politically correct?
Yes they legally have to for almost everyone besides homosexuals.

>but if almost every parents is not ok with a gay teacher then the school district has an obligation to get rid of them
That literally has absolutely nothing to do with the decision. The school district has 0 obligation to do anything for the parents. It just has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>5611366
>All they have to do is prove that it in any way changes your relationship with the students and you can be booted.
And it's pretty hard to prove that from someone simply being gay, furthermore one can sue them over discrimination.
>>
>>5611679
>then you are just an entitled piece of shit, end of story.
Wait who are the "entitled pieces of shit" the retarded parents or the guy who just wants to do his job?
>>
>>5612374
>comfortable
You're sounding A LOT like the leftists now.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 1088x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 1088x1280
>tfw you'll never be Rich Evans
>>
>>5612374
>your job ends where my feelings begin
>>
>>5612374
>>5612249

For some reason, people think think that the government represents the popular opinion at all times. But really, one of the most important reasons why government exists is the ability to slam everyone's asses down and say, "No, you all are being overemotional idiots. We are doing it this way, because shit needs to get done. And in a decade or two, everyone will wonder what the fuck you were thinking."
>>
>>5611226
eh, I live in the deep ultraconservative south and my old drama teacher was gay and didn't get fired until he caused a scandal by getting arrested for soliciting in a public bathroom. He got rehired a about a year later for a different school.
>this was before grindr became a thing

He actually didn't get fired, come to think about it. He resigned. Was probably part of the deal he struck. If he didn't cause a stink, they would rehire him soon.
>>
>>5613818
>>this was before grindr became a thing

Good of you to point that out. He'd be judged way more harshly these days, now that we know there's a better alternative.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.