[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paying for SRS with student loans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
23 yo MtF here. I'm looking at my options for affording SRS and the university I graduated from offers health insurance that covers it, so I'm considering going back to school (would be paid for with what I haven't already used of my dad's GI bill) and taking out student loans to cover what the university doesn't pay for. Is this a thing? Will I get in trouble for not applying loan money to school? Are there better ways to pay for it? I feel like this is my best chance, but honestly haven't talked to anyone who has done it to know my options.
>>
>>5588457
Why would you do that? Student loans are the only loans not dischargeable by bankruptcy. I think some surgeons have payment plans and financing. Literally any other type of loan would be better than student loans for this.
>>
>>5588480
I mean, I plan to pay it back, so that isn't a huge deal. I can't really get other loans cus I have never built credit before and I hear no credit is the same as bad credit. Payment plans from surgeons sounds like I have to limit my surgeon choices too.
>>
>>5588457
I make the assumption that you live in 'Murica. If it's federal student loans, you can lose eligibility for future loans if you use any of your loans for non educational purposes.
>>
File: image.gif (266 KB, 384x286) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
266 KB, 384x286
>>5588457
I know some universities have insurance to get srs and stuff. I'm trying to get into UCLA cause they have a really good trans health care plan.
>>
talk to your bank as well as the insurance provider, tell them what you're planing to do and see if they will let you do it.

if not... the other straight forward alternative to srs, is to find a job with a healthcare plan that would cover srs. and since you'd have a job then you could save up and be able to pay for any expenses you would have to pay out of pocket.
>>
>>5588926
>thinking you won't have to limit your surgeon choices on an insurance plan compared to literally just paying for it with cash
tbqh they should disqualify from SRS anyone with an IQ lower than 50
>>
>>5588457
I got a carecredit card to pay for ffs. they gave me a year of no interest to pay it off, after that it was something ridic like 14%. better than using your loans if you think you can pay it back within 12 months. could probably pay for half the cost of surgery. insurance is the best option though, even if they don't pay the doc upfront.
>>
>>5591536
The university insurance will cover 80% of surgery, but at a 20,000 dollar cost, I'd still owe 4 grand. That's the only part I worry about.
>>
>>5594766
Where are you planning on going? Out of Bowers, Meltzer, and McGinn, I think McGinn is the least expensive at $21,000. I went to her and spent around $2400 more for travel, hotels, food, and other garbage expenses.

I think Bowers is around 25k and Meltzer is around 28k. And I wouldn't trust less known surgeons like Alter or Schecter. I don't think US insurance would easily cover someone outside the US.

Anyway just remember to factor in the extra expenses not included in that big surgery cost number.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.