[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about Truvada ? Are you taking it ? Will you ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
What do you think about Truvada ?

Are you taking it ? Will you ?
>>
>>5428662
>What do you think about Truvada ?
I think it's useful if you have ED

>Are you taking it ?
No. Luckilly, my dick still gets hard by itself.

>Will you ?
Well, maybe when I'm old
>>
>>5428662
Id rather eat food than fuck, so no.
>>
>>5428756
Truvada is a treatment against HIV. To be more specific, it's a medicine that is supposed to lower the risk of getting infected by something around 80%
>>
>>5428662
Well we know PrEP creates viral resistance to Truvada.
We also know Gileads patent on Truvada expires in 2018 leaving the market open to generics.
We also know they're in the process of approving their next generation of antiretrovirals.
We also know most gays taking PrEP don't use condoms creating a further problem of viral resistance.
Gilead has also unleashed a huge amount of time and money lobbying for approval of PrEP across the world.

Knowing all this my guess it's just an attempt to destroy the antiretroviral generics market from taking over Truvadas market share and to push buyers onto their new product rather than letting generics manufacturers to snatched up old Truvada customers.
>>
File: prep-1.jpg (21 KB, 309x293) Image search: [Google]
prep-1.jpg
21 KB, 309x293
what about PreP
>whats the difference between the two
https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/
>>
In France now you can get Truvada for free.
>>
>>5428845
I really wish i was in canada so i could get it for free
>Fucking obamacare is shit, why didnt we get universal healhtcare
also how much does it cost?
>im kinda on a bender and its suddenly relevant information
>>
>>5428852
I don't know how much the state will have to pay for this but they said it would be 100% for people that would want it.

Also it already happened to me to have sex with someone who told me he was HIV+ after and i went to the hospital like in the middle of the night, very scared and shit, and they gave me the post exposition treatment and helped me and all for free.

These times you realise you are indeed lucky to be French.
>>
>>5428829
Literally praying for the day prep is on the nhs

Only one year left!
>>
>>5428858
stories like this make me really annoyed at our health care system. Also dont mean to pry but did you use a condom?
>i'm on obama care, i dont pay for insurance BUT i also dont get any benefits without paying out the ass for it. I have to pay the first $6,000 of medical expenses then the insurance covers any cost over that i think.
>so basically i'd have to shell out as much as $6,000/year is i want this or to see a doctor.
>I want universal health care god damnit.
>>
>>5428897
>I want universal health care god damnit

eh, don't think it is that great either.

>Oh, your leg is broken? Well, the doctor will see you in two months.
>>
>>5428819

Except the original studies into PEP meds as PrEP were conducted by universities and not the producers of the drugs and Truvada was selected because of it's long term usage and relatively benign side affects? But yeah, fuck big pharma.
>>
>>5428662

Condoms haven't stopped the HIV epidemic, PrEP is the first real tool we have that directly tackles the issue of new infections, it's a significant advancement and it's foolish to deny that.

Until a HIV vaccine exists PrEP is great for a lot of people - but it needs to be marketed in the same way the Pill is for women. It's not a condom replacement, it's to reduce the chances of the worst-case outcome of a mistake / accident.
>>
>>5429789
Truvada was specifically chosen due to sponsorship by Gilead though.
Initial studies into PrEP in the 00's used other antiretrovirals but as it became clearer the potential for profit Gilead began offering researchers free Truvada supplies and they began lobbying the fda for rapid approval. Inevitably researching anything except truvada became nearky impossible. After PrEP was approved in less than one year Gileads stock went from under $10/share to over $110/share.

Maybe the viral resistance won't happen, but for them it's a desirable side effect since Truvada currently holds the largest market share and once it's off patent generics will overtake the market.
Already they're seeing about 10% of hiv cases being Truvada resistant. I guarantee by 2018 they will seek to approve their new antiretroviral, Genvoya, for PrEP usage which will guarantee them another 20 years of market dominance.
>>
>>5429826

Ok so lets assume all of that is intentional on their part and true. How does that make PrEP ineffective as a HIV-prevention tool?

If 10% of new HIV infections were due to truvada immunity then that can be communicated at detection, "your strain is truvada resistant; truvada is not going to stop you from being infectious" - congrats, back to where we started for a minority of HIV+ people.

It's still a vast improvement over the current situation.
>>
>>5429868
It disrupts the treatment process though.
Treating hiv would be very cheap if it weren't for resistance. You could use any of the available generics, which really only cost $5- $10/month rather than $1000- $2000/month for brand name drugs.
PrEP is a temporary solution at best. Personally I just see it as using gay men's habit of being kind of slutty in order to nudge the competition out of the hiv market. They have been quite successful at that. Already Pfizer and GSK consolidated their hiv assets into ViiV as an attempt to pull out of the market, or so that's the prediction anyway (ViiV will declare bankruptcy but it will have no effect on Pfizer or GSK anymore, it's a common business tactic to avoid hits to the main companies stock value by pinching off useless assets into a 3rd party company)
>>
>>5429897
ViiV isnt even a separate company. Truvada for serodiscordant couples seems like a good idea, not sure.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.