[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: B7GrpQZIUAAwNU9.jpg (18 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
B7GrpQZIUAAwNU9.jpg
18 KB, 377x377
I'm utterly confused about something. Are gender and sex completely separate categories from each other? What is sex and what is gender? I'm sorry for being so much of a newfag.
>>
Short answer yes, long answer no. The basic definition is that sex is your basic physiology whereas gender encompasses your internal sense of self and presentation, but I could go down the theoretical rabbit hole for hours explaining how they're both made up.
>>
>>5425733
you can change your gender but not your sex. You can only change the way people see you. IE. if your a female you cant have working balls that will make you able to blow loads. or if your a guy you cant have working ovaries and get pregnant.

in reality a "Sex change operation" is actually a "Gender change operation"

not sure if im completely right but thats my take on it
>>
So basically, sex is what you are biologically, and gender is what you identify as/what you see yourself as. Gotcha. Thanks guys
>>
File: 1314276790936.png (117 KB, 594x483) Image search: [Google]
1314276790936.png
117 KB, 594x483
>>5425748
>Short answer yes, long answer no.
But "no" is shorter than "yes".
>>
>>5425733
>>5425733
Heres my take: Sex is your physical gender (your genitals, what you were born as). Gender is your expression of masculine and feminine traits, what you personally identify as.

A FtM transmans sex is female, but their gender (the thing that matters) is male.
>>
>>5429924
This is a shitpost
>>
File: 1247611234870.jpg (29 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
1247611234870.jpg
29 KB, 499x500
>>5430047
Jokes are now shitposting, got it.
>>
>>5426480
>you can change your gender but not your sex
False. Gender is immutable. A person's sex can be changed to be so close to the opposite sex that it can be hard to tell with ones where it was done early enough during development. Infertility is the main obstacle left.

Orientation is also immutable.
>>
File: Dworkin on transsexuality.png (160 KB, 447x852) Image search: [Google]
Dworkin on transsexuality.png
160 KB, 447x852
>>5430515
All of sex, gender, and orientation are not that clear-cut. If we weren't so obsessed over fitting them all into clear categories, we'd realize they're all a lot more complicated.

Sex is the most concrete, since it's a bunch of biological characteristics. Not nearly as clear-cut as most people think though. There's not just anatomical anomalies like intersex people... Even the XX/XY distinction is an over-simplification IIRC. Don't know exactly, not a biologist, but it's really all not that simple. Of course, still, a general overall male/female distinction persists in most people, barring for anomalies.

Gender is for a large part a social construct. What transgender people experience might in part/for some be simply not conforming to their culture-assigned gender role (based on their anatomical sex, which is a dumb thing to base social roles on). Another part/for others might be related to some parts of their biological sex not matching other parts of their biological sex. For instance the brain might have a switch making it expect a male or female anatomy, and the actual anatomy of the person might be the opposite, the result being body dysphoria.

Sexual orientation can be defined in a couple ways. Possibly there is a biological sexual orientation that is immutable; this might be on a simple continuum from fully hetero to fully homo, or it might look like a reverse and inbalanced bell curve, where people polarize mostly towards hetero, partly towards homo, and very few in between. But that's probably just a human mental effect of trying to fit everyone into a neat binary, so it might be that those along the continuum are a lot more ubiquitous...
And then, this hypothetical(?) biological orientation aside, a person may nevertheless get used to having kinds of sex outside their biological orientation. After being hetero my whole life I started to develop a submissiveness fetish kind of thing at around age 20. What people around here call AGP I think...
>>
File: 2015-12-23-01-53-22+0200.png (91 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-23-01-53-22+0200.png
91 KB, 1600x900
>>5430640
>And then, this hypothetical(?) biological orientation aside, a person may nevertheless get used to having kinds of sex outside their biological orientation. After being hetero my whole life I started to develop a submissiveness fetish kind of thing at around age 20. What people around here call AGP I think...
Had to cut short due to 2k char limit. That sounded like submissiveness has something to do with homosexuality, which is most certainly not what I intended to imply. It's just that, as part of this fetish, I fantasize stereotypically masculine creatures handling me, penetrating me, etc. It doesn't have much to do with legitimate homosexuality, as I still only tend to find female persons attractive in daily life, but as a result of the fetish it's quite likely that eventually I'll be having some forms of male-male sex.
>>
>>5430640
As somebody who is intersex, bisexual, and a MtF, I've read up a lot on this over the years.

On sex, orientation, and gender identity. There are over 30 genes plus hormonal influences from mom that set the sex, orientation, and gender identity of the child.

Not much is known about what influences orientation yet, except that once it is sex at a very early age, if not in the womb, it is permanent.

Gender identity is set permanently during gestation in the womb. Experiments on rats have pretty much confirmed this.

Gender identity is not learned. Gender roles are learned. The problem come from children being taught/forced into gender roles that conflict with their gender identity.
>>
File: 1449960470115.gif (660 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1449960470115.gif
660 KB, 500x282
>>5425733
Sex is what you have in your pants. Gender is the kind of pants that you wear.
>>
Sex is dimorphic physical characteristics, including genetic information. Neurological gender is what your brain expects those to be, the seat of what many refer to as gender identity, and what generates the dissonance that propels transsexuals toward transition. Gender in laymen's terms is gender roles, the social prescription of expression assigned along lines of sex(with some exception for countries that have third genders largely defined by atypical self-expression and sexuality, hence hijra encompassing both trans women and gay men). It is also why dumb babies think not conforming strictly to gendered behavior makes them trans, when in fact it makes them human.
>>
>>5425733
Sex refers to male or female, while gender refers to masculine or feminine.
Sex is an anatomical, physiological or biological characteristic of an individual.Gender, has to do with the socially constructed differences between man and women.
Assuming transsexuals have the physical brain structure of the opposite sex, that would mean transsexuality is probably a subset of intersex.
>>
>>5433464
huh I like the way you worded that
>>
>>5434060
"Sex is between your legs; Gender is between your ears."
But then again: SRS
>>
File: ryuko.jpg (3 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
ryuko.jpg
3 KB, 109x125
>>5433464
/thread tbqh senpai
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.