[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When opportunity comes knocking...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: original[1].jpg (18 KB, 422x284) Image search: [Google]
original[1].jpg
18 KB, 422x284
So I'm thinking of using The Danish Girl to come out to my socially conservative parents. I was originally planning on coming out after I would start failing boy mode because I think successfully appearing as female increases your chances of being accepted over looking like a straight up man. But since I hinted (probably too vaguely for them to figure it out) at what was bothering me to my parents after my mom asked me what's bothering me as she usually does, I figured I may as well go all the way soon. The trailer feels oddly relatable to me, and the reviews seem to indicate it's really sentimental and sympathetic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTbUMMigo_E With that, I can avoid having to answer some questions, as they will already have a primer from watching the film and the emotion of the film may make them a bit more open to the idea. Now I can't do it soon because family will be visiting until the 3rd of January. But that's fine, because I'll use that time to practice on my voice a bit more.

Any problems with my plan?
>>
>>5389185
>Any problems with my plan?
yeah, it's stupid. if your parents don't like trans, they don't like trans. no amount of straight cis actors with makeup on is going to change that. have fun getting kicked out.
>>
>>5389199

They don't like trans people, but they know I've been miserable for a while, they seem to love me to some degree though they ineptitude in applying it would be hilarious if it weren't so harmful, and the film should allow them to view things from the other side instead of -to- the other side.

But I do need to think about this more deeply and give myself more time to think. Especially for when I'm not up later than I should be and breathing polyurethane fumes from redone floors.
>>
This might not be the worst idea. It's better than getting hammered drunk and then coming out to your mom while sobbing like an idiot.

Not that I have first hand experience.

Nope, not at all.
>>
>>5389471
Coming out to her after she interrogates it out of you and then denies it as a reality, and wonders why I didn't show it earlier in life after she spent years forcing "uraman" to me for years with anger.

Of course only I actually cried, she was visually angered.
>>
>>5389521
My mom didn't have a reaction that I can recall. She just kind of...listened, I suppose. She never brought it up after that beyond occasionally asking how HRT was going and giving me pointers on how to be a woman.

My dad still doesn't know. I love my dad, but I am scared shitless to tell him. He's not a terrible person or anything, but he's really old fashioned and tends to just ignore things he doesn't understand.

I might try OP's idea on him.
>>
My dad started pressing the issue because he wants to have what's bothering me resolved before New Years. But I told him he will have to wait for mid January.

My brother's also worried that I'm going to hurt my father because I said I hated him, which is humorous. If anyone gets hurt, it will be me.

>>5389471
>>5389521

I actually had that same idea in May when I made http://archive.loveisover.me/lgbt/thread/4366117 I chickened out because I didn't know how much I would need to drink.

By uraman, do you mean ultraman?
>>
My mom pressed me in a parked car, said she knew something was wrong and I always look so depressed. She wanted to get down to the bottom of it and help whatever way she could. I told her and cried, she hugged me. Later I found out she had no idea what trans means.
>>
>>5389185
Opportunity doesn't knock. It sends awkwardly-worded postcards and never seems to get your name right. Stop waiting for opportunity to come to you. Track that fucker down and cave its head in with a crowbar.
>>
>>5389185
>I was originally planning on coming out after I would start failing boy mode because I think successfully appearing as female increases your chances of being accepted over looking like a straight up man
Stick with this
>>
File: White-Chicks.png (981 KB, 711x853) Image search: [Google]
White-Chicks.png
981 KB, 711x853
Don't you think it might be easier if you broke the ice with a comedy movie instead?
>>
rate my coming out plan.
e-mailing parents this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaRd4d8hOY
with no subject or explanatory text.
i'm a forestry student.
do you think they'd take the hint?
>>
>>5391713
10/10
>>
>>5391568

Did she take it well after she found out?

>>5391629

Either I would have to start passing in a month or he would have to forget by the time mid-January rolls around for me to stick to that plan. I doubt he will forget because he's anxious about what's upsetting me.

>>5391667

I don't see my parents taking this seriously if I use a comedy, desu.

>>5391713

Pretty good. It got a laugh out of me.
>>
>>5391568
Eerily similar to what happened with me
>>
>>5396006

I think cars are often involved in confessions or honest conversations given how I often I read this. It's ironic that a machine used for transportation is used to trap someone in a conversation from which they can't escape. Or maybe it's a psychological association with going somewhere else, in this case, a social environment where the ordinary circumstances and rules of everyday life don't apply, depending on your perspective.
>>
>>5396031
i think you're putting to much thought into this. a car is small, quiet and secluded from the outside world. it's the best amount of privacy plus a long drive makes sure your conversation doesn't have a premature ending.
>>
>>5396113

I'm not sure about the long drive bit. Every time I read about someone coming out and a car was part of the setting, it was just after the drive that the person came out, sometimes outside the car. Plus, it wasn't that serious a post.
>>
>>5389185
I just went and saw a special premier of the film in Kansas City earlier today. It was beautiful. It made me cry so hard because I could relate to it very well due to being in a relationship with a trans person. The movie doesn't just show the girl's transition, it shows how the wife gets through it. It is officially my favorite movie. I think it could help a lot.
>>
>>5399480

I thought it was only airing in LA and NYC until nationwide release on Christmas day. Did the theater have a special reason to have it early? So you have been with your partner since before their transition? That's very supportive of you. It must have been difficult going through it with them.
>>
>>5399480
>>5400223

Oh right. Thank you for the positive feedback. I was starting to get cold feet even though it will be a bit of a wait before I do it.
>>
>>5399480
My therapist at The Transgender Insititute invited me to it and had free passes on her website. It was definitely a special viewing and from what I hear the people behind it had to do a lot of work to make it possible. It is definitely difficult being in a relationship with someone who is transitioning, but I love them no matter what and we're getting through it together. Thank you.
>>
the danish girl is trash and portrays lili as a fetishist so probably not
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.