[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gay Blood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: heart-red-cross.jpg (106 KB, 1619x1173) Image search: [Google]
heart-red-cross.jpg
106 KB, 1619x1173
Anybody else as assblasted as me that gays still can't donate blood, even with RNA HIV tests already being mandatory? I mean, anybody who actually knows anything about blood donation understands that all blood taken in is rigorously tested.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>5384982
Its dumb
>>
>>5384982
just lie and donate anyway
>>
>>5384982
>Anybody else as assblasted as me that gays still can't donate blood
Got over that years ago. Now I'm glad I can't.
In fact if I could pass one law I'd make it illegal for gays to donate organs too.
>>
>>5385031
Why do you hate freedom, Anon?
>>
>>5385044
Because spite > freedom
Also not being able to donate is a legit excuse.
You can't guilt trip someone into donating when the law doesn't allow him.
>>
File: bibo45902245.jpg (29 KB, 267x313) Image search: [Google]
bibo45902245.jpg
29 KB, 267x313
>>5385050
>succumbing to guilt tripping
>being an adult
>>
File: 5154662aafa96f5b2c0000b1.jpg (9 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
5154662aafa96f5b2c0000b1.jpg
9 KB, 260x194
>>5384982
Yes it makes me angry.

1.Because I'm a universal donor (O-), and my blood type is one of the first blood supplies to run out during any kind of crisis that effects blood banks.
2.Because I was too stupid to lie at the time; not being able to donate to credit a cousin's surgery got me outed to my very large, very conservative, very Catholic family. I let my cousin down, and then I had to deal with homophobic God bothering relatives that due to inaccurate large catholic family gossiping were, and still fucking are, convinced that I had AIDS because of my "sinful lifestyle."
3.Donating blood was one of the only things I could do that made me feel like I was contributing something meaningful to the world.

The only thing I regret about coming out is that I can't donate blood anymore. All because the American red cross used to be too cheap to HIV test blood donations, and plenty of straight HIV positive folks that donated blood secure in the knowledge that no gay men donated blood ended up giving people AIDS through surgeries and blood transfusions.
>>
>>5385075
Shucks dude, that's rough. Just goes to show how fucked up and ass-backwards our medical systems are.
>>
>>5385064
What it actually is about is preventing any potential backfire for not being a donor.
After all you can't blame someone for not donating when the law forbids them from doing it.
>>
I could care less.
If I really wanted to donate blood, I could just front like I was a het. But I don't really want to donate anyway, so I gives no fucks.
>>
>>5384999
This, just don't throw a huge "look how gay I am" bitchfit
>>
ITT: people who believe it's a right to donate blood

The rules are set for a reason, even if most countries should but haven't yet remade them (ie. lifetime ban to x montähs post last sexual intercourse with a man).

>>5384999
Fuck off.
>>
>>5384982
im not american

how do they know if you're gay?
>>
I worked in a blood donation centre for 9 months and this always put me in a difficult situtation, because I knew most of the time if a donor was gay (grindr etc.), but the blood gets tested and the rule is stupid so I never said anything.
>>
>>5385679
I have no clue, honestly. I guess if you went in and told them you were gay, you would then not be allowed to donate blood. But why would you do that?
>>
>>5385679

They don't. It's on the honor system. Technically it's not being gay that excludes you, it's if you had sex with a man within the last year that does it. That's the box they ask you to check yes or no on.

It's a relic regulation that was introduced when the AIDS epidemic was getting really bad and they didn't have the technology or funding to test every single batch for HIV, so they just added a blanket ban on gays. Of course now every batch is tested rigorously, and the only reason the rule is still in place is because the higher ups at Red Cross can't be assed to change it.
>>
Homosexuals can't donate blood because it's still a risky population. In my country, where same-sex mariage and homoparental adoption are legal for more than ten years, they're still banned, as are those who have more than one partner, those who got a tattoo, those who travelled abroad, those who have someone ill in their family (even if it doesn't concern you) and so on. It's a common practice and I don't care homosexuals are banned if it highers the quality of the blood's stock. There are things more important than saving you this “offense”.
>>
File: 1439500353344.jpg (30 KB, 634x397) Image search: [Google]
1439500353344.jpg
30 KB, 634x397
>>5385666
Fuck off, Satan.
>>
>>5385776
completely agree. While they do tests with every donation, it's still better to stay safe than sorry. There will always be mistakes when testing the bloods and excluding risk groups is totally worth it to me.

It's really not, that only gay people are excluded.
>>
>>5385776
>Doesn't know RNA HIV tests are mandatory for donated blood
>>5385666
>thinks the issue at hand is peoples' right to donate their blood
The problem is that there are people who need certain blood types to survive. The premise of turning good donors away solely because they fuck other men is autistic and irrational in 2015.
>>
>>5385809
It isn't limited to RNA HIV and once again, it wouldn't concern so many cases if it was somehow homophobic.

>>5385803
As
>>5385767
said, they're not even excluded, it's “having sexual relations with a man in the last x years” according to the law.
>>
>>5385809
not at all. who wants homoblood inside of them? you might as well just bend over and have them give you a transfusion in the asshole.

gays: not even once
>>
>>5385817
If an unnecessary rule can be thrown overboard with a simple white lie, then really why is it still being used? It's the same reason that Trump's "Ban All Muslims" thing would never work even if it was implemented.
>>
File: 1426088951655.png (269 KB, 538x538) Image search: [Google]
1426088951655.png
269 KB, 538x538
>>5385840
>>>/pol/
>>
>>5385840
>>Doesn't know RNA HIV tests are mandatory for donated blood
>>
>>5385875
and those are 100% correct all the time? even if there's only one time, at which the test fails, excluding risk groups becomes worth it.

in case you got a blood transfusion and became HIV+, would you be okay with it? the test fails, that happens. But thank god that person insisted on his not existing right to donate blood. As long as there are mistakes it's the doctors duty to minimize risks and that is done by excluding risk groups.
>>
>>5385852
I can't speak for the United States because I don't live there but in my country—which as aforementioned was among the first ones to open the adoption and the same-sex marriage, a precision I want to highlight to avoid any accusation of homophobia—homosexuals are 126 times more likely to get HIV—as a reminder, HIV tests can and do fail ocasionally—and a study showed allowing them to give blood will higher the risks four times while the global volume will increase of only 2%, changing almost nothing. A lot of doctors are against it. As a homosexual, honestly, I don't care to be denied blood giving—why should it be a “right”, by the way?—if it can lower the overall risk a lot. I mean, it's not like our contribution is urgent, like people are dying right now because a shortage of blood. Yeah, it's definitely more about being offended. Sorry but I won't agree, not mentioning there's a lot more grave questions regarding us homosexuals.
>>
>>5385899
>gay man with HIV lies about status
>bad blood gets pumped anyways
It's an impotent system. It needs to be changed or removed.
>>
>>5384982
Nah, it means I have an ironclad excuse for not donating
>>
>>5385944
well obviously people can just lie. I don't think it's somehow offensive though, that the organizations generally don't want to have blood from risk groups. It's reasonable to try to minimize the risks as well as possible.

People will always lie, that can't be changed.
>>
>>5384982
I donate blood all the time, just tell them you're not gay. It's not a big fucking deal. It's not like they can run a gay test on you or anything.
>>
>>5384982
Is the law applying to gays that dont even have sex?

>conservitives you afraid of catching the gay?

>Wait you just said a week ago its a choice?

>how do you choose to catch something?

Jokes aside there should be a test for everyone

after all you dont need to be gay to get aids
>>
>>5385075
>Anonymous 12/13/15(Sun)10:03:00 No.5385075▶>>5385089
Im sorry your family is like that

Im a catholic but i support LGBT, after all God does love all his children and says to "love thy Neighbor"

just know that not all of us are anti gay ass holes <3
>>
I live in a pretty conservative place so the gay guys here are extra weird and extremely sexually active due to repression I guess. I dont think I'd want most gay guys blood, I know what kind of shit they do haha
>>
>>5390270
>just know that not all of us are anti gay ass holes <3
Thanks anon, and I think I'm lucky enough to already know that. While I'm not Catholic anymore. I still have plenty of Catholic people in my life, probably a lot like yourself, that are far better on lgbt issues and the whole being Christ-like thing than my biological family are.
>>
>>5392800
I'm glad the ones you know are open minded
>>
>>5384982
Makes me mad, had one partner 23 yrs ago am completely clean. I was told if I had sex with a man after like 1978, i could not donate. Pisses me off as I am B+ which seems to always be in demand. BUT it looks like they are trying to change the laws about gay blood donations.
>>
>>5384982
I know there's always a need for blood, but if they are turning people away, then it must not be that great of a need and they'll be just fine without my blood.

I'm type A+, which is only useful to A+ and AB+, so my blood's pretty much useless anyhow.
>>
>>5384982
Gays/lesbians are higher at risk to catch STDS and the deadliest HIV/AIDS. It's not "homophobia", it's facts. It's already risky with regulars.
>>
The biggest problem I have with it is that any given gay man, selected at random, is less likely to be infected with hiv than and given black person selected at random.
But is there a ban on black people donating blood? No. Because if you ban people from doing something because they're black you're RACIST. So why is it okay to ban gays?
>>
>>5384982
why are you so eager to donate blood in the first place?
>>
>>5384982
Your blood is basically sold as a commodity after you donate it. Yes, the medical system wouldn't function without it, but there are people who make a lot of money off sucking the blood out of straight people. I say let them have it
http://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/blood-money-what-you-didnt-know-about-your-blood-donation
>>
>>5394302
Hey I want to sell my clean A- blood
>>
>>5394276
to poz neg veins
>>
>>5394251
Black American, or black African?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.