[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why gay pride?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 9czg95ycE.jpg (11 KB, 238x350) Image search: [Google]
9czg95ycE.jpg
11 KB, 238x350
sup folks, there is something I need you to help me with.
Every time I hear of Gay Pride, I feel I can't understand it. Why should I be proud of my sexuality? It's who I am, It's a part of myself. It's not something I created, nor accomplished, nor had to struggle with. I don't understand why there is a need to be proud of it.
I fear I'm missing something. Could you explain me?
>>
>nor had to struggle with
So you've never been treated like you were worth less because of your sexuality?
Jealous
>>
>>5365584
>nor had to struggle with
Well, that's the reason you don't understand.
>>
>>5365605
>>5365614
yes, of course, I have been beaten and pissed over.
But I never had to struggle with myself to understand it always was natural to me.
>>
>>5365584
>Could you explain me?
Gay pride is that moment of the year where breeders can show how "accepting and tolerant" they are by getting on a boat with gay people and showing the world how they're not afraid to get near 'dirty homos'.

tl;dr breeders flaunt how morally upstanding they are by standing on a boat.
>>
You shouldn't be any more proud to be gay than you should be proud to be born a certain color or in a certain place. You should only be proud of that which you have earned or achieved, or proud of the things those closest to you have earned or achieved.
>>
>>5365584
It's because being non-hetero is/was being looked down upon and you are/were shamed for not fitting in with "normal" people.

Gay Pride means literally that you don't have to be afraid or ashamed of who you are.
It's not "pride" meaning you feel superior over someone else.

>inb4 straight pride
No straight guy or girl is shamed for being hetero.
>>
>>5365628
Weird. Most people like us hate themselves to a point that they'd beat and piss on themselves if they could, so self-acceptance is a really long process that involves a lot of soul searching and fighting the inner demons.
Dealing with external homophobia but not the internal one is something I haven't heard of.
>>
>>5365749
Not him but I sorted myself out pretty quick.
Then again I was quick to blame heterosexuals for any self-hate related to my sexuality.

Then again I'm autistic and a bit arrogant so maybe that has something to do with it.
>>
>>5365749
>Dealing with external homophobia but not the internal one is something I haven't heard of.

kekwut?
Not the OP, but i never had to struggle with being homo.

As soon as i realised i'm different than most people (i thought i was the only faggot on the world for a while) i was like "well, okay, that's that".
>>
>>5365773
being completely indifferent to the thoughts and opinions of everyone you interact with doesn't mean your strong, it means you're a sociopath.

Most people do actually care about feelings and reactions of other people, especially those close to them.
>>
File: 1430343192437.jpg (317 KB, 1165x1532) Image search: [Google]
1430343192437.jpg
317 KB, 1165x1532
>>5365708
what people call national pride isn't pride at all though, it's gratefulness for the previous generations who made the nation prosperous and a feeling of responsibility to keep up the good work
>>
>>5365806

Maybe they should use a better word for it then.
>>
>>5365802

Projection much? You're not a sociopath if you're comfortable enough in your own skin to not give a shit if people put you down.
>>
>>5365708
This. I should be proud of what I do, not of what I am.
I understand the purpose of pride parades back when people at large didn't give a shit about gay rights because they thought it was an irrelevant / non-existant minority, or as a celebration of being able to get out of the closet.
But it's outlived its purpose. Now all it does is perpetuate flamboyant stereotypes and give straight liberals a chance to score Brownie points.
>>
>>5365584

It's called psychological reactance. When a behavioral freedom is threatened, people affirm that freedom out of spite. People do the exact same thing with their personal or political beliefs - e.g. McCarthyisms, or people saying shit like "Freedom Fries" after 9/11.

Homosexual behavior has been persecuted for centuries, therefore people respond by affirming that behavior through boastful displays.

Blame human nature, not us.
>>
>be proud of who you are. IE: your sexuality.
>>
>>5365605
It's a struggle if you let it be so. Or, you can say "Actually IDGAF" and get on with life like every single other human being does on a daily basis.
>>
>>5365914
becoming comfortable in your own skin is one thing, using other areas of emotional validation to counter social judgement.

But if the idea of having a negative reaction from literally everyone you know doesn't cause some sort of negative emotional response, you are saying that you have no emotional connection to other people. Which is sociopathy.

>>5366305
no, most human being do give a fuck about at least some other human beings perception of and reaction to them.

They don't let it completely determine their behavior, but they do consider it.
>>
You can be proud of whatever you want, in this universe there is no official list of things to be proud of.
If you feel the need to be proud of something then there is a need to be proud of it.
>>
>>5366305
Though I agree with you, if you live a certain way, you might catch shit for it depending on where you live.
Being flaming in the deep south for instance is probably a bad idea for your social life.
>>
>>5365584
>It's a part of myself. It's not something I created, nor accomplished, nor had to struggle with.
then don't go to pride. Many to most gays do in fact struggle with it, and do get shit for it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.