[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you ever had the experience of being LGBT in a country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: gaymap.png (135 KB, 1190x700) Image search: [Google]
gaymap.png
135 KB, 1190x700
Have any of you ever had the experience of being LGBT in a country where gay is illegal, either as a native/local, a tourist, or an expat?

How did you handle the situation?
>>
>>5344061
well I was in Italy, where it has a horrible reputation.
And I entered the vatican which is essentially enemy territory.
>>
I don't see how it'd be ever apparent unless you're sucking someones face in public. I guess renting one bed room for a same sex couple could be a bit suspicious but you can probably write that off as being cheapskates.
>>
I've been to Moroco, didn't do anything gay so idk what its actually like for gay men then.
>>
>>5344134
>idk what its actually like for gay men
Prison, rape, violence, more prison.
>>
>>5344061
What's the difference between the salmon and the red countries? Don't both imply that homosexual acts have been banned since 1966 and are still banned?
Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a native english speaker blah blah

As to the actual question: I haven't, but a friend travelled to India to study the architecture along with some of his classmates (in which is boyfriend was included); he says they were on edge for the whole trip, even if they did absolutely nothing to imply they were a couple
>>
>>5344406
>he says they were on edge for the whole trip
Yeah I'm not surprised, I'd be too.
And probably win the prize for "most horrible tourist of all time".
>>
have heard stories from LGBT ppl who worked in international development contracting, NGO work, etc, sometimes in not very LGBT-friendly cultures: they said it was stressful but they were able to get by
>>
>>5344406
I think it means that there WAS a time after 1966 and before today when homosexuality was banned, but it no longer is
>>
Jamaica
I just didn't do anything gay. It's not hard.
>>
This is a situation that exists for some. Rule of safety, never reveal your personal life in a foreign country, and don't discuss politics involving sexual minorities.
>>
File: flyfaggies.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
flyfaggies.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
Saleelul sawarim nasheedul ubah
wa darbul qitaly tariqul haya
fa baynaq tihamin yubidu tugha
wa kateem musawtim jamilun sadah

saleelul sawarim nasheedul ubah

behi azadini w galal bugha faya qawmi hubu lidarbil kumah
fa ima hayatun tasurul hudah wa ima ma'matun yughighul uda
wa ima ma'matun yughighul uda

faqum yaw'faya lidarbin naja lilamdi saweeya nasudul ghuza
wa narfa umajida wa nu'leh jiba abat antadila be ghairil ilah
abat antadila le ghairil ilah

il al haqi haya da'ana lewa
li sahil manaya be harbi aydah
faman ma ta'minna fi dan an himah
bi janati khuldin sayaghdu azah
bi janati khuldin sayaghdu azah

saleelul sawarim
>>
>>5344712
Went to Russia this summer, same, there was nothing to handle. I talked to my uncle while I was there about his personal feelings on gay people and he said that, like most of his peers, he doesn't care if someone is gay, he seemed mostly like those people who say "I don't mind but don't shove it in my face" camp of, like, "soft" homophobia. His and others' opinions on women though- god, handling required.

I met a bisexual girl, though male-partnered, and a girl who was almost definitely gay, though we didn't talk about it since she was either deep in the closet or deep in denial. Bisexual girl said that you had to be picky with whom you revealed your orientation to, but it's far from impossible to find chill people in Moscow.

The one person I knew who was actually in a same-sex relationship in Russia was an adult woman who ended up moving to the US with her family because the government wanted to take her kids from her and place them back in an orphanage.
>>
>>5344406
The red ones are those where it wasn't banned in 1966, but is banned now.
>>5347671
>deep in the closet or deep in denial
Pretty much everyone here is deep in the closet, and the denial may last well into adulthood.
And the Moscow's upper class, with which you've interacted, is actually much much more tolerant than the average Russian.
Not really relevant to the topic though, as homosexuality is not illegal here.
>>
some of my classmates were taking a class taught by a transwoman who transitioned while working in foreign countries that are not known for LGBT friendliness

it's not impossible but carefulness is advised for LGBT people outside of western Europe and North America, even in countries where homosexuality is nominally legal
>>
>>5347789
>the Moscow's upper class, with which you've interacted, is actually much much more tolerant than the average Russian.
That has almost always been the case.
>>
>>5348784
What has been the case? You interacting with them or them being tolerant?
>>
>>5348793
Them being tolerant.
>>
>>5344061
Yes. I moved to america after they legalized gay marriage.
>>
>>5348814
Moscow and St. Petersburg is like a totally different country from the rest of Russia. I guess people in larger cities are always more tolerant everywhere in the world.
Also, you being a foreigner probably played its part, they might have been less accepting were you a local.
>>
>>5348867
Nah Russian upperclass has always been more tolerant, like in the times of the Tsar.
>>
>>5344132
I guess this is a drawback if you get married and share surname, if they ask for some kind of identification from both. A sibling story might only work in some cases.
>>
>>5344134
I'm going to be studying in Morocco next year and it'll be weird jumping into the closet. I grew up in a progressive town and was never really in the closet in the first place so I'm hoping I don't have too hard a time adjusting.

Thankfully I have gay and lesbian friends who have lived/live in Morocco and they're going to give me advice on how to stay safe. One even said she has advice for picking up Moroccan girls, so I'm guessing around the Youth the culture's not too terrible as long as you're quiet enough.
>>
>>5349053
yeah no, that's bullshit. the lower classes are always twisted into being "less tolerant" of minorities as a way of dividing and conquering - there's bigotry on both ends, and bigotry is often encouraged by people who have something to gain from it.
>>
iS THERE ANYONE HERE NAMED WILL?
>>
>>5344071
LOL no one cares. I was there with my boyfriend and saw two guys holding hands walking along the entrance of Peters square

Italians literally don't give a shit about anything
>>
You know those laws only apply to locals right?

I don't think any third world country is going to go through the effort of sentencing a foreigner especially if that foreigner is from a western country.

Most of the time these laws are placed on the books because they want to discourage people from engaging in behavior that undermines the existing regime/system. Gay rights are usually associated with liberalism/secularism and most of these countries governments don't want their people thinking about those things and they'll lose tourist money from westerners which they don't want to lose.

So stop being a dumb dramatic faggot like >>5344406

the worse that can happen is that you're gay bashed by locals but you won't be prosecuted by any actual government.
>>
>>5347671
>not wanting flaming faggots prancing around the street tooting horns and waving dildos is homophobia
>>
>>5351124
>implying you won't just get killed by the masses if you out your faggotry
>>
>>5350545
Im pretty sure most hotels don't ask for ID from more than one person. If that one checks out and they are the one paying, why would they need to look at anyone else's ID? Its a security measure, not really anything else.
>>
Though its not illegal, I hear there are hotels in Japan that will turn away gay couples who are obviously couples.

Though that might just be love hotels specifically, I can't remember
>>
>>5351124

We are not living during European colonialism, extraterritoriality is not a thing in this day and age. Unless you are in a position to have diplomatic immunity, "their country, their laws."
>>
>>5350950
>marxist detected
rich people don't have to deal with minorities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv0-2c6u0Ko
>>
>>5351594
i don't know if the video is informative or a meme, but i don't watch political youtube videos unless they're unusually good
>>
>>5349053
Upperclass in any country is more tolerant.
>>5350950
COMMIE ALEЯT!
>>
>>5351124
There were foreigners who tried to organize pride in Russia and they got detained.
Also some Dutch dudes got fined and deported for making a documentary on gays.
>>
>>5352234
better a commie than a neocon
>>
>>5344061
No, but my local town didn't protect LGBT people from discrimination until as recently as 2014.

AmeriKKKa is really a backwards fucking shit hole when it comes to LGBT rights. It's literally Islamic tier when it comes to LGBT rights.
>>
>>5353493
So the KKK broadcast live executions on twitter?
>>
>>5353493
>It's literally Islamic tier when it comes to LGBT rights.
You shouldn't sau literally when you mean figuratively.
>>
>>5353502
>So the KKK broadcast live executions on twitter?

>Pastor Says Kill Gays & Lesbians in Electrified Pen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqlvbAgIX8
>>
>>5353523
so how many countries did the KKK invade this month?
>>
>>5353523
Words dont actually damage you.
>>
>>5353533
>so how many countries did the KKK invade this month?

Christian fascists in AmeriKKKa have caused all of our foreign policy wars overseas in the name of their god. They oppress the Palestinians because the bible says so. They want to deny a women the right to choose. In my opinion, they are the American ISIS.

The point is I don't live in the middle east. I live in AmeriKKKa. Land of GOD, JEBUS, GUNS, REPUBLICANS

That means the religious fascists I deal with are Christards. Those are the ones actively working to denying me my rights.

At least Obama is in the white house. If someone like Cruz takes over I feel there will be another holocaust against LGBT people in AmeriKKKa. I am 100% serious.
>>
>>5353536
>Words dont actually damage you.

http://www.advocate.com/crime/2015/03/15/all-three-philly-gay-bashing-suspects-maintain-their-innocence

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/perspectives/defeat-of-houston-lgbt-rights-measure-may-have-broad-impact/article_d71fc9eb-3eda-5440-a361-32a504263439.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_violence_against_LGBT_people_in_the_United_States

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-boehner-sees-enda-unnecessary
>>
Part of the issue here is you don't want to be seen as a dissident undermining a country's politics in some places. In others it's an interpretation of hardline religious fundamentalism built into either law, local culture, or both that you really don't want to get on the wrong side of.

Then you have countries where you'll just be treated like a freak, but hey we've all been to middle school before.
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
I know someone who is gay who is fighting along ISIS in Syria right now. Gay muslim, angry young kid who didn't fit in. He told me the Koran says that there are effeminate cute boys in heaven.
>>
>>5353550

Wow, just wow. You know Ive really come to conclude that America's liberals are more insane than their conservatives.
>>
>>5344061
Based South America.
>>
>>5355261

The angry junior college students you find on websites like tumblr and 4chan are not a good representative sample of US political attitudes
>>
I lived in Mozambique between the age of 2-6. Obviously I was not concerned with cunts and tits yet so I never really noticed anything. I think they recently de-banned homosexuality though.
>>
>>5355242
are you sure he's not already dead?
>>
One malegay friend studied abroad in a cosmopolitan but still very traditional muslim country under the supervision of an ultraconservative professor he got along well with as a student but refused to reveal his sexuality around. He said it was like going into a closet within a closet, like in a science fiction movie.
>>
>>5344061
I had to go to saudi arabia for work for like 2 months. That's a really strange place.
>>
>>5353559
Why did you not post those examples on this post? >>5353523

As much as tumblr would want you to believe, words aren't comparable to real life violence. Being socially ostracized is still a fuckton better than being executed.
>>
>>5356389

Usual advice from western expats there is to stay in and around where you're housed while working there so you don't inadvertently get into too much trouble.
>>
>>5355242
Well the effeminate cute boys are probably in heaven in the first place because of ISIS
>>
File: Heheheh.jpg (53 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Heheheh.jpg
53 KB, 500x333
>>5357123
>>
File: This-nigga-serious.jpg (99 KB, 1025x577) Image search: [Google]
This-nigga-serious.jpg
99 KB, 1025x577
>>5353550

>I am 100% serious.
>>
>>5355303
They are pretty tolerant for religious countries indeed.
>>
Is there any kind of comprehensive advice guide for LGBT people whose jobs or studies might take them to other countries?
>>
>>5359331
don't go to ones that want to chop your head off
like all the ones rand paul and donald trump want to stop immigration from
>>
>>5359409

If you chose to study the developing world and work on problems affecting it, and subsequently chose a related career, you're going to have to go to places that aren't majorly LGBT friendly at some point.
>>
>>5362082
You can at least try to avoid the red areas on that map.
Not all developing countries are allahuakbar.
>>
File: my head right now.jpg (16 KB, 610x326) Image search: [Google]
my head right now.jpg
16 KB, 610x326
>>5355242
>gay who is fighting along ISIS in Syria right now. Gay muslim, angry young kid who didn't fit in. He told me the Koran says that there are effeminate cute boys in heaven.
I can't even try to comprehend the insanity.
>>
>>5344061
What about 1966 makes it such a significant year for homofucking?
>>
File: 1425502462439.gif (611 KB, 95x141) Image search: [Google]
1425502462439.gif
611 KB, 95x141
>>5344061
Isn't it North Korea that has that weird state of legality where Kim says it's legal to be homo but we just happen to have no homos?
>>
>>5347671
More stories from Jamaica
>Have cousin in Jamaica who came out as gay
>Mum who says homosexuality is sinful buys him dresses
>He does drag shows at the local schools
>He has a straight acting boyfriend who denies it to the death
I just don't know how the fuck he is getting away with all of this in a place where it's socially acceptable to lynch gays, Everyone in the village is like "bun battyman" but when it's their own they just sweep it under the carpet and act like nothing is going on. Good for him though. Kind of reminds me of the dancing boys of Afghanistan. Being gay is totally illegal there and fucking little boys in makeup is gay as fuck but somehow everyone turns a blind eye. Repressive societies are funny.
>>
>>5369675

That second to last sentence isn't gay. It's something very very different.
>>
>>5344406
A friend and married gay couple I now regularily travel to India and Nepal and they haven't had too many problems. The worst that happened was that they were refused a hotel room because they were suspected of being a couple.
>>
>>5353493
You're retarded. Sure, it's bad in some parts of the US, but it's nothing compared to an Islamic country. I don't have anything particularily against Islam, but it's just a fact.
>>
>>5351039
>Italians literally don't give a shit about anything
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>5371199
>>5351039

supposedly the big majority of the population(especially the young ones) here is ok with homosexual unions and most homosexual rights, although you can easily find pople who would say " i am ok with them marrying" but then is ready to puke and ask them to go away if they hold hands not far from him on public soil.

unfortunately we live in an oppressive dictatorship controlled by the NATO so "what the population want" is not a priority to legislators.
>>
>>5371271
damn, sounds like you have one large victim complex
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.