[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you portray LGBT and especially bisexual characters in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: torchwood_torturedmywood.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
torchwood_torturedmywood.jpg
474 KB, 1920x1200
how do you portray LGBT and especially bisexual characters in fictional media who don't automatically turn off hetero casual viewers b/c of a "gay" stigma?
>>
Make them good characters

I've never even heard anyone complain about Omar's explicit gay makeout scenes in The Wire
>>
>>5334819

For another non stereotypical masculine gay character watch The Principal
>>
>>5334810
make it an incidental trait, and not part of the major advertizing or plot of the show.
Like finding out Babineux likes GoT on iZombie
>>
File: g1371927136117073375.png (182 KB, 400x375) Image search: [Google]
g1371927136117073375.png
182 KB, 400x375
>>5334810
Don't go for the easy biscum jokes and tropes. I wouldn't work hard to subvert either. It's just a part of them. One part. Not endless need, but rather flexibility. This is the part of writing where you'll have to be a really good actor if you're not bi in the least.
>>
I really liked reaver in fable 2, it made sense to me that an immortal degenerate would eventually get bored of woman and fuck a dude. And it wasn't really thrown in my face, I think it was in a diary entry or something.
>>
We get this thread every fucking day. LGBT characters will never be represented well because 9 times out of 10, it's straight people writing them.

Regardless, the only answer you're gonna get to this question is
>write them well
>don't follow stereotypes

done
>>
File: latest[6].png (168 KB, 305x724) Image search: [Google]
latest[6].png
168 KB, 305x724
>>5335155
I don't really like the "it should be an insignificant detail" category. I like it when a character's sexuality informs their character but without making them a stereotype

I think Jun from Persona 2 is my favorite gay video game character for that reason.
>>
By not making them walking stereotypes. Good luck with that, most shows and companies are run by morons and written by morons.
>>
File: Shigurui.full.1408864.jpg (166 KB, 600x633) Image search: [Google]
Shigurui.full.1408864.jpg
166 KB, 600x633
>>5335190

I guess I like bisexuals like reaver more because I can relate better to characters who aren't 50/50 bi, but rather just happened to find that rare guy they can be attracted to, kinda like the relationship between Griffith and Guts or Fujiki and Irako, both relationships are left ambiguous because none of them are portrayed to be someone who is attracted to men regularly, which makes it all the more interesting and special.
>>
>>5335077

I love Jack Harkness's behaviour. His actor is a bit of a smug git tho
>>
>>5335179

The "everyone is bisexual" characters in Torchwood were laughable and they were created by a very gay TV producer
>>
>>5335550
Maybe he's just "on" and trying to give everyone what they want. Maybe he's a flaming scottish mess at home. But Barrowbro seems alright to me. Saw him at a couple nerd cons.
>>
>>5335553
the show is called torchwood; flaming is the game and thick wood always leads to fame.
>>
>>5335077

>tfw one of favorite book characters, Charles in The Secret History, is self destructive bisexual sociopath stereotype to a T
>>
>>5335553
It makes you wonder if he wanted to make all the characters gay but couldn't or if Davies just doesn't care much or bisexuals and went nuts with the slut comedy.
>>
>>5334810
For L's use a hot tomboy
For G's use a straight acting twink
For B's use a hot girly girl
For T's use a cis woman to play an MtF and have her not be a main character
>>
>gay stigma
>gay
>this the big "issue" bisexual men face

Bisexuals a big ass shit, seriously senpai fuck yall.
>>
>>5335857

>For G's use a straight acting twink

The Principal

>For B's use a hot girly girl

Orphan Black, Lost Girl
>>
>>5335870
Well, yeah. There's no such thing as biphobia. Bisexuals are hated because they're seen as homosexuals
>>
>>5335893

There are specific reasons for disliking bi people, most notably how they bring hiv to the straight community.
>>
>>5335966
Couldn't the same be said about race mixers? There's no PC way to state this but if everyone only banged or hung around their own race then AIDS wouldn't be as widespread. It's racist but true. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the first person to get AIDS was some white guy from Germany.
>German guy gets AIDS
>Spreads it to other Germans
>Other Germans spread it around Europe
>never interacting with Africans, Asians, or South Americans
>Blacks, browns, reds, and yellows never get AIDS
>Doesn't spread past Europe and some of North America
>AIDS still there but nearly as much as it is now
>>
File: catmad3.jpg (12 KB, 211x212) Image search: [Google]
catmad3.jpg
12 KB, 211x212
>>5335994
>Blacks, browns, reds, and yellows never get AIDS
>>
>>5336024
How can they if the people with AIDS won't go near them?
>>
File: wallacewells.png (53 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
wallacewells.png
53 KB, 500x355
>implying wallace wells isn't best gay
>>
>>5334810
Don't make it about their gayness. Don't try to pander to gay people. That doesn't mean you have to make their homosexuality non-existent. Just don't harp on it.

I always felt a good example of a gay character that doesn't turn people off was Wallace from Scott Pilgrim. Hes super gay, his gayness comes up multiple times.
And yet its not really pandering to gay people because he has character beyond being a gay guy and its not like the gayness is "Special" or anything.
>>
>>5335994

You have a point, but now the damage has already been done, and bisexuals are still the ones who the fingers get pointed at.
>>
>>5336131
The pointing of fingers does not create objective truth.
>>
>>5336138

I'm not saying that it is, just that it's one of the problems that people specifically have with bisexuals besides "nigga you gay".
>>
>>5336077
nah, he's still a token gay, just he's funny and there's nothing not to like about him so it's a-okay
>>
>>5336217
>>You're not claiming it's warranted, you're just claiming it happens

Ah. Thank you for taking time out of your 4chan browsing to clarify what you said. contributin' and all that.

Moving on.

Even if a self-identified bisexual was the first person to spread it, as opposed to someone in the closet (either side) or some other option, it is not representative of the bi community as a whole.

Plenty of straight people pass it around too, so once it transferred the argument doesn't really hold weight.
>>
>>5336238
Except theres multiple other gay characters of varying relevance to the story from Joseph to Roxy to Other Scott
>>
>>5336250
It's really more representative of the 'people who take monkey bushmeat up the asshole,' community. I hear.
>>
>>5335994
Except AIDS came from Africa, not Germany.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (17 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
17 KB, 1280x720
You portray them as not defining themselves by their sexuality, basically not giving a shit about it and possibly using it to their advantage to further their goals in other matters

>pic related

A assassin seduces a gay to get access to his house to use as a base. You don't know if he's gay, bi or just a hetro manipulating a gay guy.
Situations like this lessen the importance of sexuality and thus make it more socially acceptable.
I'd wager 9/10 straight guys thought he was a bad ass even thou he kissed and probably fucked a guy.
>>
>>5336973
Where it came from doesn't change the fact that race mixing is responsible for it being to widespread. Re-read the post and you'll see I wasn't claiming it came from Germany and I was only using it as an example
>>
>>5334810
Make them Disney villains.
Everyone loves Disney villains.
>>
>>5337312
Were you using it as an example because telling the truth is racist and politically incorrect?
>>5336077
Well, gayness is special. Why do you think we have a separate board to discuss gay things.
I understand what you mean, but you can't just casually say that some character is gay and call it representation. Obviously this character would have to deal with some problems and situations which are specific to gays.
>>
>>5336131
What is IV drugs
>>
>>5337456
Well I'd say they don't have to have problems specifically relating to them being gay, unless its like standard romance issues in any story.

I feel like the best way to make gay characters is to normalize it. Make it just something that exists. Thats not to say mention it once and never mention it again.
Just don't make it a big deal. Have a gay guy talking about his love life problems, have a lesbian spending time with her girlfriend. Have it be the same as if they were straight but just gay instead.

Thats the kind of gay character I like anyway. I don't care much for coming out stories or stories dealing with prejudice, but thats just my personal tastes.

Besides, and this is a bit off track her, but shouldn't normalizing this be the ultimate goal? I don't want to be a special snowflake, I don't get why others do.
>>
>>5337757
Simply mentioning it is not realistic or believable.
First, because real people don't treat being gay the same way they treat some minor insignificant shit like eye color or whatever. Yes, we might want that they did, but they'll just never will, it is a significant life-changing trait.
And second, what you propose is like saying or "this character is an immigrant from another country with totally different culture" or "she had very rich parents who catered to her every wish" or "he had served in the army and been to a war", but then making no adjustments to the plot whatsoever to reflect how their personalities have been affected by their life experience.
Don't get me wrong, I want the society to achieve full acceptance as much as you do, but creating fake characters that are only gay because of some PC requirements list is not furthering this goal in any way.
>>
>>5338986

In one of Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants books, he briefly shows that one of the two protagonists will come out as gay later in life without making a big deal of it
>>
>>5338986
I dont think being gay necessarily means you are a completely different person

Its a big thing yet at the same time its a small thing. Its big because society makes it a big thing yet it doesnt have to be
I know a variety of gay guys. Some were obviously gay while others i would have never guessed were gay.

And i think that being gay shouldnt be the biggest part of a character. You rarely have characters whose biggest aspects is their straightness, so why focus on a gay character's gayness

Yes i understand gays are a minority but that doesnt mean they should be defined by their gayness
>>
>>5339863

the panic over that was ridiculous
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.