[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cost and where of HRT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1448226894703.jpg (271 KB, 810x1410) Image search: [Google]
1448226894703.jpg
271 KB, 810x1410
This might have been on one of the transgender threads on here, but I'm going to ask anyways. What is the cost of getting HRT professionally done? As in going to a doctor and therapist. And how much does it this usually cost? I want to see if this is a viable option because doing it by yourself can be dangerous from what I have heard
>>
I'm in the US and my insurance helped pay for everything. What I had to pay for was:

Therapy sessions, $75 each. Took about three sessions or so to get the go-ahead for HRT (I made it pretty unambiguous that I was set on transitioning). Guy charged $50 for a referral letter to an endocrinologist

Endo took blood tests which cost $150 (would have been like $700 without insurance). Paid $25 for the visit itself (~$250 without insurance, I think). Currently I'm having blood tests + endo visits once every three months, then I think after a few more check-ups it'll get scaled back to twice a year.

Whoremoans themselves cost $14 for spiro + E. Not sure what the cost would be without insurance but I'm sure they're relatively cheap.

Hope that helps. I put off starting my transition for a year because I was scared of the cost, but it ended up being pretty affordable for me.
>>
>>5323894
$14 a month, that is. Forgot to specify
>>
>>5323894
What is the name of your medical insurance anon?
>>
>>5323915
Don't wanna say because I'm a paranoid moron and I'm afraid they'll track me down and stop covering it. In my policy they specifically say they don't cover anything related to gender dysphoria, but all my stuff is getting covered regardless
>>
>>5323802
How many years haven't you been on the fence now? I remember you posting about this a couple of years ago, and even back then somebody recognized you.
>>
>>5323941
oh thats okay anon, thanks anyhow
>>
>>5323965
I think ive only posted about 3 times, but I've been on the fence about this for about 1-2 years. I am not going to go out right away and whatnot, but I want to be sure about my options because it has been making me very stressed, especially when my gender dysphoria bothers me
>>
>>5323802
Depends on where you live (since prices for prescriptions and doctor/therapy visits differ greatly from country to country, and even state to state in the US) and whether or not you have insurance and their policies. I've also heard that there are some countries in Europe that require you to be in therapy for at least 3 years before they'd consider writing you a referral for hrt. Don't actually know how true that is but being in therapy for longer just adds to the cost.

For me, living in the US, I am under two insurances (both in my name, before someone comes in and says I'm leaching off of my parents or some shit like that). The first one is BlueCross BlueShield, which is through my University's policy, and it covers 80% of all my medical needs (though I believe that's only if I am getting those needs taken care of through the Campus hospital/therapists) the remaining 20% is a copay. I pay about $3400 a year on that one but its well worth it. My second insurance is essentially Medicare(Obamacare) and, since I'm a student with no annual income, I don't have any monthly payments or copays on that one (this one takes care of the copays from BlueCross BlueShield).

My therapy visits are about $380 each and the copay on them, if I didn't have the Medicare, would be just under $60.

Haven't started hrt yet but from what I've found online. Doctor's visits for bloodwork and what not can cost me anywhere from $700-$1000 in the US without insurance. And, a monthly prescription of spiro and E can go from $40-$80 without insurance.

Again, hard to give real solid information that's relevant to you without knowing where you're from and what insurances are available to you (some insurances completely refuse to pay for therapy visits related to gender issues and especially for hrt, as it has the tendency to be viewed as purely cosmetic and unnecessary for proper treatment by companies.)
>>
>>5324045
>I've also heard that there are some countries in Europe that require you to be in therapy for at least 3 years before they'd consider writing you a referral for hrt
jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>>5324045
I apologize if you were curious at all about the prices for surgeries. With the exception of srs, I don't really intend to get any surgeries if it can be helped and because of that I've never bothered to look up the costs for them but most of them, if not all, are well into the thousands.

Laser/electroliosys, if you're mtf and want to get rid of any facial hair, costs a couple of hundred per session and that wouldn't be covered by my insurance as its cosmetic (don't think any insurances cover that stuff in the US).

>>5324064
I didn't add the more horrifying bit but I will for the sake of entertainment. Again, I don't know how true this all actually is.. I've seen it stated on here a couple of times and on other websites too. But, along with the 3 years therapy some countries also require you to be presenting as the desired gender for a minimum of 1 year (other countries 2) before being able to get a referral. They're essentially forcing people to be volunteered hons.
>>
>>5324079
>Laser/electroliosys, if you're mtf and want to get rid of any facial hair, costs a couple of hundred per session and that wouldn't be covered by my insurance as its cosmetic (don't think any insurances cover that stuff in the US).
Laser cost me $750 upfront for 5 sessions, then they charge me $50 per session after that until it's all gone. Not sure how many treatments I'll need total though, I'm only at #7. I had a lot of facial hair too so it probably varies a lot
>>
>>5324092
$50 per? Fucking seriously? The only place in my area that does that charges $175 per session regardless of how long you've been going there... cheap bastards.
>>
Anybody know prices on informed consent providers? family promise or um... Planned parenthood kinda thing? I don't have health insurance and kinda been tricking for a living. I think it was around 350 for blood work and a script?
>>
>>5324117 same poster
i DIY at 50 mg spiro e/12 hrs
10mg/1ml every seven days

want blood-work because i feel like my levels arnt 100%
>>
>>5324116
200€ per session here for the dozen or so it takes
fml
>>
>>5324116
The dermatologist that runs the place is kind of an eccentric guy so I guess the prices might be atypical. He also owns a restaurant and paid for a public pavilion to be built downtown
>>
>>5324116
Its 100 per year where I am. Unlimited amount of sessions too.
>>
due to canadian healthcare my blood tests are free, the hormones cost about $50 a month though because they're not covered in my province because FUCK.
>>
>>5332194
Where do you live, so I can move there? Fuck, I don't care if its Mars.. I'm coming.
>>
>>5333282
NYC
Y
C
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.