[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it considered transphobic to say "women have periods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: muh girl penis motherfucker.jpg (40 KB, 255x187) Image search: [Google]
muh girl penis motherfucker.jpg
40 KB, 255x187
Is it considered transphobic to say "women have periods"?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420386/periods-womens-issue-transphobic
>>
>>5319040
I'm inclined to say no simply because there are plenty of cisgender women who don't have periods either. The last time I checked, post-menopausal cisgender women don't get triggered when younger cisgender women start talking about shark week.
>>
It's VERY mildly transphobic. And even then only if you use it in a context that makes it sound like an absolute rather than a generalization.
>>
>>5319065
This

Trans people are just an exception to the standard notions of gender that are still accurate 99.9% of the time. You don't have to rewrite language just to accommodate us
>>
>>5319040
No it s not ! there are a lot of steril women !
>>
>>5319100
finaly a clever person <3
>>5319065
try to build ur opinion from a perspective who dont belong in ur anus pls !
>>
http://www.newnownext.com/underwear-company-launches-line-addressing-transgender-men-who-menstruate/11/2015/
>>
no.

but if you're primary motivation in discussing periods is to attempt to alienate trans women, you aren't a feminist, you're a loser obsessed with losers.
>>
Nope, nothing transphobic about it unless you use it specifically to try and discredit a tranny.
>>
>>5319040
Most women can't have periods due to age or disease.

Nice to know your mom is a tranny
>>
>>5319123
I think you might need to reread those 2 comments and your own. The person you're complimenting is agreeing with the person you're criticising
>>
>>5319040
No, it's just sexist since it reduces women's identities to revolve soley around their potential to pop out kids and implies that women who don't have periods such as those with health issues or all women after menopause aren't women anymore because they're not useful as baby factories.
>>
>>5320176
Do you think it is sexist to say that men ejaculate? I mean, it implies that men are only on this planet to get women pregnant and men that can't are worthless.
>>
this is the most worthless thread attempting to think of transphobic things to say that i've ever seen in my life.
>>
>>5320304
That's actually pretty comparable, not all men ejaculate and some surely face some discrimination in dating and stuff like that.
If you want to go by some limited technical textbook definition then you could say that sex relies entirely on reproductive ability and everything else is just a "blank" in respect to sex but there's obviously a lot more to sex in human society and existence and anyway there'd still be some grey area with fertility treatments and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if you expected me to spout some stuff about how only women can be discriminated against and have their validity questioned but this isn't tumblr.
>>
>intention, intention, intention
that's all there is to it
>>
File: 1447776132310.jpg (49 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
1447776132310.jpg
49 KB, 500x286
>>5319065
>Transphobic
Do words have meaning anymore?
Fear of trans people is literally what transphobic means. How is discussing a natural process fear of anything.
If someone is bring up periods to make a trans person uncomfortable and alienated I believe the word you are looking for is bigoted or you know, an asshole.
But otherwise your right. Context matters.
>>
File: god save me from stupid people.png (352 KB, 533x526) Image search: [Google]
god save me from stupid people.png
352 KB, 533x526
>>5319040
The only things that are transphobic on earth are this:
>causing physical harm to a trans person for just not liking that they are trans
>denying employment to a trans person for just not liking that they are trans
>making fun of a trans person because they are trans
Nothing else is transphobic, its just whiny fucks crying for attention and making up fake problems that never existed.
>>
>>5321312
Again transphobic is the fear of Trans people. These people do not fear Trans people, they do not like them. The word you are looking for is bigot.
>>
>>5321429
And hydrophobic means fear of water. But I doubt shoes sprayed with a hydrophobic spray are literally afraid of water
>>
>>5319040
no, of course not. Most trans people do not think like this. This is a right-wing group seizing on a strawman.
>>
File: smug anime face.png (174 KB, 416x396) Image search: [Google]
smug anime face.png
174 KB, 416x396
>>5321429
>implying bigots aren't afraid of the people they hate
>>
File: ayyyys.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ayyyys.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
>>5321462
Seems like a misnomer, but you are correct.
>>5321533
Are they though? Do you know that for sure. Although to hate something requires it to be a threat or at least I would hope that is the case. Which does mean that there is likely fear involved. I am tired of the phobic buzzwords in this community.
>>
File: 397.jpg (22 KB, 447x400) Image search: [Google]
397.jpg
22 KB, 447x400
>>5321673
>Are they though? Do you know that for sure
Bigots think being gay or trans is CONTAGIOUS
>>
>>5319040
not it's just reterded

it can be used as offense
but rude people are rude
>>
>>5319040

no lol. an easy response would be,
>"not all women have periods"
because cis or not, it's true. it's not transphobic? and there's a very simple response and solution. some girls make everything so difficult.
>>
>>5321731
Edith is such an ugly 1900's name, just being brutally honest, ever thought of changing it????
>>
>>5321741

what even prompted this question? lol
>>
>>5321755
I don't know, its just that like edie sounds like a guy and edith sounds like a grandma, you seem like a Jasmine or a Vicky.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.