[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothetically, if someone was born male, began fantasizing about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 15 - 1.png (384 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
15 - 1.png
384 KB, 300x250
Hypothetically, if someone was born male, began fantasizing about being the opposite sex while they were 12 - 13, and began acknowledging that they might be transgender in late 13s - early 14s, and thought almost for sure that they were trans in their mid 14s, when should they begin HRT?

fuck that was confusing.
>>
that depends. do you honestly think you would be happier as a girl? do you hate being male? if you answered yes to both of those questions then you should deffo look into transitioning. If you are still unsure see a gender therapist and talk about your situation. nobody else can tell you that you are trans. its something you have to answer for yourself op.

just make sure you are certain you want to transition before you start.
>>
>>5298838
The most important question is when to begin transitioning. Like beginning HRT in a few months or when you're 15,16...18?
>>
As soon as you can
>>
>>5298917
And that's seriously a good idea, considering someone at 14 could perhaps just outgrow something like this? Like, I hate being male & want to be a girl, but I've always been conditioned to wait for a certain answer before doing something irreversible.
>>
>>5298929
You are probably trans, unless you have some other mental health issues like autism or something that would cause you to obsess over this. Most of us don't get to start HRT until puberty has completely fucked our bodies, you should consider yourself extremely lucky if you can manage to start at 16 or so (usually the youngest you're legally able to, though there might be some way around it). If you still have some uncertainties then you should work things out with a gender identity therapist, but for the love of god don't just sit on your ass about it
>>
>>5298943
That is, until puberty has completely fucked our bodies. Bad typo
>>
>>5298929
Has our hypothetical teen considered seeing a therapist yet?

This would be a wise move, and his/her school, if in North America, will almost certainly have a councilor obligated to maintain confidentiality but able to put the student in touch with more knowledgeable care providers, even if his/her parents aren't expected to be supportive.
>>
>>5298943
>you're probably trans
Citation please?
>>
>>5299032
> born male, began fantasizing about being the opposite sex while they were 12 - 13, and began acknowledging that they might be transgender in late 13s - early 14s, and thought almost for sure that they were trans in their mid 14s
> I hate being male & want to be a girl
>>
>>5299048
Apparently, most children outgrow gender dysphoria by the time that they're adults.
>>
>>5299060
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25231780
forgot to add a link my bad
>>
>>5299060
Yeah, children who express cross-gender behavior usually turn out to just be gay or even perfectly normal

That's specifically children, not adolescents. As far as I know not many people who think they're trans at 14 end up changing their mind
>>
>>5298980
Sounds reasonable :) So how do I go about having a mother who's TOTALLY against HRT before I'm 16? She's totally ok with me being trans - just to be clear. She feels as if I'm going to regret anything like HRT.
>>
>>5299060
No, you're citing gender-nonconforming and dysphoric children, who do indeed in a majority of cases stop feeling dysphoric or out of place during adolescence. By contrast, the study of adolescents and adults found that patients exhibiting dysphoria very rarely ceased to have a gender identity at odds with their assigned sex.
>>
>>5299078
A lot of people go on puberty blockers until they're 16, which is largely reversible, and then start taking estrogen. You could try and convince her that that would be a decent compromise?
>>
>>5299078
Tbh as a teen I got a po box and bought hormones online using a disposable visa card.
>>
>>5299086
According to her own "research", puberty blockers would be impractical at 14. She says they're done before someone is going through puberty, not when they've already began.
>>
You don't need HRT bb, if you feel like a girl you are one, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>5299096
Originally these medications were used to effect in children who began puberty at an undesirably young age. Yes, it would still benefit a hypothetical 14 year old.
>>
>>5299111
However, if HRT is available, then you should go for it?
>>
File: 486165506465.jpg (16 KB, 236x293) Image search: [Google]
486165506465.jpg
16 KB, 236x293
>>5298929
Get on anti-androgens for a few years while you think about it. You won't grow tits but you won't grow more masculine either, including the voice. It's like a pause on puberty while you get your head on straight.

200 mg spiro would do the trick normally.
http://www.alldaychemist.com/aldactone.html
>>
>>5299078

By not letting you have HRT she's basically forcing you to take hormones you don't want. You still gotta go through puberty one way or another.
>>
How would a hypothetical 15 year old see a gender therapist without their parents?
>>
>>5301530
For however long the teen can afford their services without requiring the issuing of any notes and/or medications, most likely.
>>
>>5301530

Depends on the barriers to treatment in their situation. They would first start with their mode of transportation. Public transportation, taxi/Uber (you get 20% off your first ride, I hear), walking, bicycle, greyhound, ride from a senior at school with a car in exchange for gas money, low cc scooter if they're legal for you, some insurance companies arrange transportation for you to appointments (though that may be intended more for the elderly and disabled), there are probably other ways.

Second would be looking over their insurance plan's policies. Do you need a referral to be seen by a mental health professional or can you go straight to one? Look for someone that treats your issues and takes your insurance using http://provider.bcbs.com, http://liveandworkwell.com, http://psychologytoday.com, http://healthgrades.com, etc.

Go to them or to your primary doctor first if you need the referral. If you can't tell your doctor the real reason for wanting to be referred you might tell them you have depression, which is unlikely to be a lie. Pay your copay and go as long as you have to to get the GID/GD Dx (keep in mind some companies do not accept ICD-9 codes for billing, instead requiring ICD-10, such as United Healthcare).

Since you just asked for a gender therapist, I'll leave it there.
>>
>>5298769
Blockers NOW
See a gender therapist
HRT after you are sure.
>>
>>5298769
Start HRT now and you'll like like a more fem version of yourself right now forever, till aging hits you in the face with the wrinklehammer.
>>
>>5299060
Most outgrow it by start of puberty. After that, very few change.
>>
>>5298929
You do realize that your male puberty is like 10 times as strong, and much more permanent, right?
>>
>>5303547
>>5304057
>>5303560
How big of a difference would be made if HRT is started at 16 vs 14/15?
>>
>>5305410
Depends on when your puberty start, genetics and simply how much it changes you. 1 your could give you a large Adams apple, 2-3 inches in height, large hands and feet, a deep voice, and proper facial hair
>>
>>5305410
try and get puberty blockers for sure, i'd wait on hormones. as long as you stop the development of male characteristics you'll be fine.
>>
>>5305410
A big difference. puberty is advancing in most at a rapid pace at that time.

Get on puberty blockers or antiandrogens now. Then get into therapy with a gender therapist. Then start Estrogen after you have decided if you really are or aren't transgender. The time on the puberty blockers, you will still grow, but the masculinization will be temporarily halted.

Basically the longer you wait, the more expensive and harder it become to transition.
>>
>>5298769
At 18 or 21, the age of majority of your country. Starting HRT is a LIFE ALTERING DECISION, and you shouldn't go with it.

Unless, of course you have 2 different, qualified psychiatrists saying that you're 100% trans. Then do it, ASAP.
>>
>>5299096
Has she talked to a medical professional specializing in the topic?

Preferably one at an Informed Consent clinic?
>>
>>5311434
We are currently searching for a professional. But since we live in Canada, it's unlikely that we're going to be able to find anyone very experienced.

In the event that we can't find anyone, we're taking a trip to San Francisco...
>>
>>5311522
Check page 34 of the "Informed Consent" PDF in the /mtfg/ thread.
>>
>>5311678
thank
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.